Tazers on the road? | Squat the Planet

Tazers on the road?

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
I was looking at the knives on the road thread and thought, would carrying around a small handheld tazer be efficient? I'm not worried about anything happening to me, as I am tall and of a medium build. I'm just thinking worst case scenario. I know a knife is a very versatile tool regardless, but has anyone ever tried this?

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Probably not a good idea, in some states they are probably illegal. In my opinion the best defense weapon you can have is
gut feeling, quick thinking and some street smarts. Hey it works for me.

Reactions: Kabukimono
D

Deleted member 2626

if you think nothing will happen to you your probably wrong. if you are on the road long enough something, whether it be a quick scrap, or a bad threat or getting robbed, something probably will happen.

scatwomb

Reaction score
I carry a few knifes, a bandana tied to a masterlock and sometimes a shitty hatchet. You definitely need protection while traveling, but, I don't think a tazer would be a great idea. It's probably illegal in many states, and, even if it's not illegal, I could see pigs confiscating it. And, I could also see two or three people kicking the shit out of you for it.

Reactions: outskirts

outskirts

Reaction score
if you think nothing will happen to you your probably wrong. if you are on the road long enough something, whether it be a quick scrap, or a bad threat or getting robbed, something probably will happen.
I don't know if this was refering to my post or his? If it was my post... yes I agree with you. But I just don't think a tazer is the
smartest thing to use for self defense on the road, best leave that one to soccer moms and the police. I just think it will cause more trouble for oneself than it's worth. Why carry something that I'm sure the police will fuck with you for? And if someone gets it from
you in a scuffle and uses it on you, your ass is down for the count! I can think of better defense weapons than a tazer. My comment was referring to avoiding situations a lot of kids find themselves in out of bad choices, that and having the skill to make a weapon out of something you can grab on the spot. You know what I mean, if someone always depends on the same old weapon then they will
lack the ability to handle the situation on the spot if they ever find themselves without it.
Besides, if I were carrying something for defense, I wouldn't tell anyone, because you never know who might turn on you.

D

Deleted member 2626

naw man i totally agree with what you said i was referring to the original poster saying just because he's tall he wont have any problems, you and i both know that isn't true. like you just said too kids put themselves in situations probably more than the situation just arising. i keep my head down when i need too and up when i need to look over my shoulder.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The problem with something like a tazer is grabbing a hold of it quickly when you need it. Alot of the time, when things go down, you can't just dig down into your pack to reach it, and it's too bulky to put on your belt. So how are you going to get it? Go with a simpler plan and know how to work your knife, instead of a battery powered contraption.

outskirts

Reaction score
And, I could also see two or three people kicking the shit out of you for it.
Yeah, I can see it now, bunch of kids getting drunk and some dumb shit decides it would be fun to start tazing each other!
That might actually be amusing to watch though, LOL.

Reactions: Dead horse

outskirts

Reaction score
The problem with something like a tazer is grabbing a hold of it quickly when you need it. Alot of the time, when things go down, you can't just dig down into your pack to reach it, and it's too bulky to put on your belt. So how are you going to get it? Go with a simpler plan and know how to work your knife, instead of a battery powered contraption.
Or just hit the mother fucker with a fist, trashcan, bottle, computer key board off the trash(for real! that shit was funny), brick, etc.

baconrind

Reaction score
A trucker gave me a taser once because i didnt want him to know about my knife. They have safety buttons which slow down the draw even more. Once the damn thing's original charge wore down it became pretty useless. My friends ended up just taking turns hitting each other with it for fun. Maybe it was crap and you could get a better one but i'd stick to a knife.

Shannon

Reaction score
First, you'd be carrying a stun gun (direct contact electrical charge), not a tazer (throws charge at distance). Actual tazers are generally controlled; stun guns (which some folks call tazers) are legal and readily available for as low as $6 on ebay. Mine is 6.8 million volts and maintains its charge through occasional plugging in at an electrical outlet, which I don't have to do frequently. Easily accessed in the off-the-belt holster with which it comes. I've traveled with it through maybe 25 states without problem. It's illegal in Canada, but so is pepper spray, which I also recommend carrying in the US.

If shit goes down, you're less likely to get in trouble for using a weapon categorized for self-defense. Also, if you bust out the knife, you better be handy with wielding your weapon and your body. Best defense is prevention--don't leave yourself in a vulnerable situation. Follow common sense: Don't display valuables. Don't get schwilly or catch out with people you don't know. Don't be in a place where you can be outnumbered by folks with questionable intentions. Be aware of cover and exit strategies. Etc.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Reactions: GetOutOf717

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
First, you'd be carrying a stun gun (direct contact electrical charge), not a tazer (throws charge at distance). Actual tazers are generally controlled; stun guns (which some folks call tazers) are legal and readily available for as low as $6 on ebay. Mine is 6.8 million volts and maintains its charge through occasional plugging in at an electrical outlet, which I don't have to do frequently. Easily accessed in the off-the-belt holster with which it comes. I've traveled with it through maybe 25 states without problem. It's illegal in Canada, but so is pepper spray, which I also recommend carrying in the US.

If shit goes down, you're less likely to get in trouble for using a weapon categorized for self-defense. Also, if you bust out the knife, you better be handy with wielding your weapon and your body. Best defense is prevention--don't leave yourself in a vulnerable situation. Follow common sense: Don't display valuables. Don't get schwilly or catch out with people you don't know. Don't be in a place where you can be outnumbered by folks with questionable intentions. Be aware of cover and exit strategies. Etc.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks. that explained a lot

P

Pheonix

personally, I think pepper spray is more affective than a stun gun. the pain of being shocked quickly fades and your senses quickly come back, but when you get pepper sprayed it keeps getting worse.

Dead horse

Reaction score
I agree with above said comment. Pepper spray isn't legal in Canada but dog repellent is which is basically the same fucking thing and that shit isn't fun when you get it in the face. Its Cheap so if you lose or ditch it, fuck it

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
I carry the 3.5 oz version of these bad boys: http://www.coldsteel.com/pepper-spray.html

Never had to use it on a person (yet? hopefully not) but did have to ward off a beastly dog trying to attack the shit outta me. Worked real well. Hit him in the face from 10 feet away and he paused, sneezed, then ran the other way whining. I made a case for it that goes on my belt and i can pull it out and aim it in seconds. Never go out without it. Im pretty sure if you emptied the whole thing in someones face they would be totally incapacitated. Windy days are a problem tho.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads