Tarp/tent vs. Hammock | Squat the Planet

Tarp/tent vs. Hammock

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i've got a decent tent but mainly sleep under my 8x10 tarp and was thinking about getting off the ground and buying a hammock. i've heard that because of comfort issues that it's not for everyone, but i can pretty much crash anywhere.
anyone have any tips or suggestions?

AetherWeaver

Reaction score
Former mining town near the Front Range Sub in Col
Definitely try one out before jumping into owning one... I haven't used a camping hammock in years; but the last time I did it put a lot of pressure on my shoulders all night long-pretty uncomfortable. A lot of people swear on them; so I'm guessing that newer materials and designs have made them better. I'm planning on trying one again sometime-although I personally prefer a small tent or bivy.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I traveled for about a year with a hammock I got in costa rica, over sived, it was awesome. Plenty of room for me and my gear, and I could wrap it around me twice. not rain proof, but I also had a tarp. I have used these camping hammocks a few times, and they are slightly less comfortable, but quite practical with the added weather protection.
The downside to a hammock is the airflow from beneath. They are perfect if you are staying in warm climates, but I would reccomend a space blanket to throw under you to keep the bottom warm. of course you can also use cardboard, or extra blankets or whatever, but I guess a hammock is more for wilderness camping than urban, and these things might not always be available (or taking up too much room to make the hommock a practical solution.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I can say that I always have my hammock in my pack and i dont get to use it too often, but I do treasure those nights that I do. It sure fuckin beats the ground. And I'll agree it takes a few nights or so to get used to it. But I woul dnever give mien up. as far as my gear with the hammock, I just putt it all in a trash bag before i sleep incase it rains.

jiujitsu13

Reaction score
Hammock camping has actually been the only camping I've done recently. In the summer, I have a light fleece blanket that does the job just fine. Winter time adds my sleeping bag and a space blanket, which rolls up right with the hammock and all fits in the bag! The sleeping bag is a cheap Sports Authority 20 degree mummy bag, it's great. I set my hammock up with a ridgeline (basically a straight rope between the trees... you tie the hammock onto that rope instead of the tree itself) and hang my pack off of that. If it rains, I have a tarp to throw over the ridgeline, making it a mini-tent. :D

Reactions: Psi em

farmer john

Reaction score
I bought an eno single nest ripoff from meijers of all places its pretty sick about the same as the eno through up a ridge line and a military poncho and im set wherever im at ratchet tye downs work well 2

stonedwonderer

Reaction score
Ive used a jungle hammock it was alright it took up a junk of room in my pack and was a little heavy i traded in frisco for some love I just didnt have the need for the weight and space it took up it worked great in oregon but in cali it had no use. when i was in berkley i slept on a rope bed a friend of mine made up in the hills behind some playing field that was bad ass the ropes were kept tight and used cardboard for padding that was the best bed ive ever had.

FigTree

Reaction score
i'd definitely have to say that's entirely a matter of personal preference. personally i'm most comfortable in the sand, i can't stand a hammock unless it's strung up pretty tight, and then you risk rolling out and having a very unpleasant goodmorning. as with all questions in life, experiment and you'll find your answer.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I built my own hammock and I love it. I think most of the store-bought ones are too bulky/heavy/expensive. Here's my design: http://squattheplanet.com/getting-t...5-how-make-your-own-hammock-nothing-next.html It's so simple anybody with thumbs can make one. I sleep in mine 3 seasons of year. I sleep with cardboard in the winter. With my design you lay flat on your back instead of bending like a banana. Light, compact, comfy, etc. It's not just camping gear, it's a way of life.

PS - you can hang them in boxcars

Sc0ut

Reaction score
ive been wondering about hammocks myself recently. ive only ever used small backpacker tents or military ponchos or tarps, but my back is pretty fucked up and sleeping on the ground leaves me sore for days so im giving something like this http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock some serious thought. seems like i could still use it as a tarp if i couldnt tie it up. my main concern with the hammock is where do i put my dog?

Ithyphallic

Reaction score
I've had that problem, got a hennessy hammock and used it a few times woods-camping, I just tie up my dog to the tree the hammock's suspended by, but she usually ends up freaking out and getting no sleep because I'm up away from her in a cucoon while she gets to deal with all the night sounds alone, no good. I just use a two-tarp system right now, one above and one below, and it's the best, most versatile shelter I've used. Lightest as well, fuck I got tired of lugging around a tent/hammock that took up half my bag and most of the weight really quickly.

It's nice if your homebound and are going hiking for a few days, but for long term living I'd never lug around a hennessy hammock, tarps are the way to go I figure! That said though, I want to get a light, small hammock without the whole shelter gig going on for summer, just to have the option of lounging in a tree on a sunny day, they are definitely comfortable.

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
do not put your dog in the hammock, my dog barfed all over me when i did it, not fun. tie low and keep her close so she dosnt freak out. now i just use tarps, hard ground dosnt bother me. i grew up camping with my dad so im used to it by now.

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am personally more of a hut/tent person. The air flow from under my butt kills me when im sleeping , and i feel like fresh cut pork in the morning with all the hammock lines in my skin. Presses the shoulders together and its not for people who roll around , or dont sleep on their back at least in my own experience.

Blacknose

Reaction score
There are lots of options getting a light and packspace efficient hammock setup . About two years ago i spent some time reading around a hammock camping forum and got a warbonnet hammock and will make a sil tarp with doors for it at some point .. if you have time and a sewing machine you can DIY really comfy and lightweight hammock with a moskito net . You will need underisolation though, be it a pad or an (improvised) underquilt..

This said i spent more time on the ground in the last year missing the comfort but carrying a little less..

Sc0ut the Hennessy tarps are a little small to take them to the ground i think, plus rather heavy!

Snaggle , dont know the gatewood one.. some are quite small, i'd try to have a look at one /lie under one before you spring for one dimensions sound quite spacy though!

I have an army poncho, like it as ground sheet or to close off one side of my tarp when setup as "flying diamond" / some trapezoid thing ,i wouldnt want to rely on it to stay dry when its really raining though , to small to make a real shelter

dharma bum

Reaction score
Poncho - tent - tarp:
I've just got an old army poncho and am looking forward to using it as a tarp/tent.
I'll let you all know how it goes......
Anyone else use one of these ??

just got an army g.i. poncho with the grommets around it. i don't have the liner though. i helped some guy at a surplus store load some huge munitions boxes into a truck and he gave it to me. it's make out of rip-stop nylon and is olive drab (or course). the guy just said that he'd pulled it out of a pack that day and was letting it dry (which means that it was probably damp, which means mildew/mold...), and i'm about to wash it. i'm not sure about the safest way to wash this, as it has reinforced seams and it's all nylon.
should i wash it in a washer or with a hose with dish detergent?.. i'd love it if someone could get back to me...

dharma bum

Reaction score
the way i've always cleaned tents and tarps were to scrub/mop the surface with a bandana and dish soap. this is all ripstop nylon, so i'm not so sure what to do. i was just hoping there were some people here that have had one of these and knew the ins and outs. i'll just do it the old-school way like i stated above i guess. just don't wanna mess up the sealed seams.

i had one before (not g.i. but campmore) and lost it, but this one seems much more durable. it's a lot lighter than my tarp (but also a lot smaller) and can pack up into very tight spots.

one other thing that i'm wondering is the liner that they come with (sometimes). are they worth the weight?

really hope someone knows something about these...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads