Switchblades/automatic knifes | Squat the Planet

Switchblades/automatic knifes

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
Just wondering who has carried one of these and what brand/models they like. I'm looking for a fast opening blade that is lighter and more accessible then the bulky fixed blade or multitool I have. Not really interested in a stiletto style knife just a cheap automatic folder.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
Milwaukee makes pretty dope utility
Knifes that are spring assisted.
I'd be extra careful carrying one though

kecleon

Reaction score
^ Opinel for a few dollars very hard to beat as far as inconspicuous and high quality for low price goes. For something with a thicker blade ontario rat 1 is under $25 made in USA very good knife for the money. For a fixed Mora. For a multitool knife victorinox for plier multitool leatherman.

K

Kim Chee

get some of those big stainless steel teeth fuckers...

image.jpg

That's what I use to hack 12" thick banana plants with.

Any troublebaker dumb enough to keep coming when I have that out would have a serious problem.

Advantages: lightweight for its size, scary looking, can cut wood.
Disadvantages: no fillet capability, bulky.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I wouldn't Cary a switch because they are illegal in most states and even the ones where it's legal cops will give you shit for it (more than any other knives) and sometimes lie about its legality to try to confiscate it

Killjoy

Reaction score
A guy who does great indepth knife reviews without bias is nutnfancy on youtube. But from my experience, do not have any kind of spring assisted or automatic knife for travelling regardless of legality issues. Knives with too many moving parts will start to malfuntion with the dirt and grime of being a traveller. I carried a 60 dollar kershaw blur. Amazing knife just isnt ready to be carried outside the city. On top of that the blade deploys fast from the handle but is just another step in getting the blade out, I do not recommend anything other then fixed blades for bladed self defence. Emerson knives being an exception for their special design that deploys the blade when tugged out of the pocket.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Stop by Chinatown. You can find some gentle people selling some sweet stuff around the Hoboken piers, long beach, or SF.

Last edited:

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
^ Opinel for a few dollars very hard to beat as far as inconspicuous and high quality for low price goes. For something with a thicker blade ontario rat 1 is under $25 made in USA very good knife for the money. For a fixed Mora. For a multitool knife victorinox for plier multitool leatherman.

Ha funny you should say Opinel. I used to have one and loved it, I traded it in CO springs for some dumb reason though.

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
Alright, so thanks to some opinions here I've decided to not go with a switch, mainly because of what folks said about the mechanism wearing out and not working when you need it the most. I know for sure I don't want to carry my fixblade that I have currently anymore because of its size, so ive been looking at smaller fixies online. I like this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mora-Forest...447096?hash=item280cae6338:g:ZDYAAOSwf-VWV7vk

I dunno think I'm down with that price though. What do folks got to say about the forest exclusive or a cheaper alternative to that style?

Eyegor

Reaction score
This sums it up perfectly. Ontario, Ka-bar, Buck, Becker, all have decent fixed blade, made in USA designs for reasonable $$$. I'm sure there are others as well. IMHO some things to look for: full tang, sheath ( it is often as important as the blade), length 3-4" is enough and will keep you out of trouble in most locales.

If you are still considering a budget folder, the S&W assisted openings are fast and good for the price. And unlike autos, they are legal almost everywhere. Sadly, not made in USA though. I've lost high dollar knives before and it hurts. I've also had flea market junk fail when I needed it. S&W is one of several that fall into the sweet spot of capable blade that won't break your heart if you happen to lose it for some reason.

One other suggestion. Victorinox has several models (OH Trekker may be the most popular) of one hand opening knives via thumbhole. These still have most of the swiss army style tools as well. Looks less threatening and easier to explain as a tool instead of a weapon if asked. With practice they can still be opened quite quickly via the thumbhole.

Choosing a knife is a very personal decision. Good luck with your search.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
google mikov knives.

I bought one shortly before departing on my first ever freight. . .

And, verbatim from one of the cops who arrested me, "*snap* whoa, this is illegal as fuck!"

I carry an assisted opener now. It's legal, as long as the clip is visible. and basically, still just as readily openable in every way.

D

Desert

I've been told if you put one on a necklace it becomes jewelry and doesn't count as a weapon. I doubt the validity of that, however. I used to carry a 9" butterfly until I left it in my pack and TSA found it one day. Got popped with a $2500 dollar fine...never paid and they just let it go, I think.

Killjoy

Reaction score
Alright, so thanks to some opinions here I've decided to not go with a switch, mainly because of what folks said about the mechanism wearing out and not working when you need it the most. I know for sure I don't want to carry my fixblade that I have currently anymore because of its size, so ive been looking at smaller fixies online. I like this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mora-Forest...447096?hash=item280cae6338:g:ZDYAAOSwf-VWV7vk

I dunno think I'm down with that price though. What do folks got to say about the forest exclusive or a cheaper alternative to that style?
Keep in mind it has no textured grip or knife guard from the looks of it. If you need a fast knife without a guard I cannot see what you need a fast knife for. Fast knives for fighting? If so you will probably slip off that slick handle and cut your fingers.

Johny

Reaction score
I've carried the same Gerber "fast" spear point knife for a few years.
And a small wet stone.
I've had a pretty bad injury were I cut the tendons in my right thumb (always joke I can only hitch one way) so the spring assistance help me open it.
But I've also been living in Montana for awhile, and everyone is pretty much expected to be armed here.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads