Survived Two Months in NOLA with nothing

MichiganRob

Reaction score
Hey guys sorta newbie at traveling here but heres my story:

I lost my apartment when my girlfriend left me and I had some money left over from landscaping so I went to the greyhound station with my crap pack (with just some clothes and a book or to) and bought a one way ticket to New Orleans. Luckily I did my research and had been planning it for months. Im too chickenshit right now to ride the rails so thats why I took the bus. Went through Chicago Indianapolis through Kentucky after about 26 hours and meeting some dope people on the bus I made it to New Orleans at around midnight with nowhere to go and just fifteen dollars. I wasnt scared just a little anxious because id never been to a big city before but I had my pack and luckily ive had alot of experience being homeless more like a doorstoop bum and sleeping outside using my pack as a pillow and my parka as a blanket that kinda shit. Anyways i ended up walking under the i10 and almost through the hood and then i ended up at Bourbon street where i spent my last money on beer and a few shots of whiskey. Then I ended up in the french quarter where I got a good feel that the locals and especially the local dirty kids did not really like out of towners. Mind you i was dressed kinda preppy and had a dope windbreaker with an Amway logo on it lol so i just looked like a tourist. Anyways i had no money no food and nowhere to sleep so i ended up chilling with some kids who had just gotten off the bus from portland and had some whiskey. The first night was kinda freaky i didnt really under stand that the first rule of NOLA was to just chill out. Also i wasnt allowed in any of the bars because i had my pack. Anyways the cops that first night were crawling so i made myself scarce and followed the train tracks to a secret spot and slept in a bush (had some fucked up dream too). I tried making friends with a group of dirty kids but they were just really drunk and only wanted to know what i had to offer them? So i kinda told them to screw off cause i was just about seeing the sights really and getting my basic needs met like food. Luckily since i have insomnia sleep was not a huge issue but if your a sidewalk sleeper like me you gotta watch out for the squitos down there they are a bitch!! To continue my story some guys gave me a whole thing of some chronic food cause i started spanging on my own so i ate the next day and spent a little money on the trolley which was awesome id never seen such a beautiful place. Ended up at the cemetary and luckily there was a family dollar across the street so i bought some honey buns and that tided me over. So i checked out the cemeteries and then hiked to Kenner cause i wanted to hitch to Baton Rouge but some pisswad at the gas station near the highway exit called the cops on me so I had to bail on that idea. Anyways i made some friends with some old timer bums and they told me to hike back to Grenier street where i could take a shower and get some free food so i did that. At this point my feet were dying and i kinda freaked out a little but i pulled through it. Long story short i could go on it was a great experience got to be on a Hollywood movie set ended up mainly hanging out by myself got to eat tons of free food and got new clothes and a shower like everyday got to hear tons of stories then i got bored and decided to hop a train to anywhere cause i was getting nervous in the french quarter seeing everyone around me get arrested and i also saw some guy get shot right in front of me kinda so i jumped on a grainer at like midnight smelling like garbage and my hiking boots were turning against me. So after twenty or so minutes i chickend out and jumped off the train before it was going too fast and ended up somewhere near mid city. Anyways as long as you chill out and mind your own business and dont start fights you will be all right. I ended up coming back to bumfuck michigan some Baptist guy bought me a ticket back and now Im living in a hotel with my dad but Im about to jump on a bus to another big city and do the whole thing all over again!!!!

D

Deleted member 14481

There's no such thing as being too chickenshit for something so dangerous. I don't train hop, at all. You have loose anything from limps to your life, and you never know who's already on the train with you. Add in the rail guards at a lot of the southern stops that don't mind putting the dogs on you. Fuck that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads