Survival Bread Thread (1 Viewer)

Rune

Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Montgomery, AL
Website
starberryghost.wixsite.com
This thread is for the simple, inexpensive, foragable recipes that people can make in squats or in the wilderness.
I have a very good and very short book on it, that I will share my favorite recipes, once I find it. -_-;

Bread is a very good way to survive on very little, from what I understand, and you can make it in all kinds of different ways.
Shovel Cakes over a fire
Microwave Poppables in a Mug? [I think]
As an example.

You can make it from all different kinds of materials..
The book mentions.. well.. ACORN PANCAKES. :O
Root based breads
Bark bread

And simple
How to make the simplest breads that I have found in my search for simple bread thus far
Hard Tack
Bread on a literal stick from outside

Also of interest to this thread is oven and kiln making.

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

DrewSTNY

Wayfarer
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Looking forward to it. I've made a type of bannock on a slab of wood next to a fire several times. Being restricted to gluten free grains sucks though for cheap, easy bread. I'm always on the lookout for alternatives.

Tony Pro

Rambler
Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Campfire bread tales a LOT of failure and practice in my experience. It's worth it though; nothing makes you feel more civilized than a warm homemade bun.

Methods vary but I always use the same general recipe:

Soda bread:
-A few handfuls of flour
-Enough water to make it a dry dough
-A little oil or butter (optional but recommended)
-Pinch of salt (and sugar if desired)
-Good pinch of baking soda
(you can use self-raising flour of course, but baking soda has a million other uses while camping)
-Mix in anything you have - raisins, diced apple, spices, cheese, wild garlic, wild onion flowers
-Mix dough with your hands - once it dries, it falls off easily, no washing necessary.
-Form into desired shape and cook

Normal bread:
-Prove a pinch of yeast in warm, sugary water. Use a plastic container, not metal. Feed it a pinch of powdered milk if you have it.
-Mix with ingredients listed above, minus the baking soda, to make a dry dough
-Let dough sit in tupperware, plastic bag, or closed messkit for a few hours, give it a good knead if you get the chance
-Do NOT mix yeast dough with your hands while camping. It'll never come off.
-Knead in any extra ingredients such as raisins last
-Form into desired shape and cook
-Tip: err on the side of caution and use just a tiny amount of yeast to start out. Too much yeast will make the bread inedible.

There are lots of ways to cook these:
-Reflector ovens -- old-timers speak highly of these; you can make one yourself for a few $ worth of material; I used scavenged pie tins for a miniature one-bun version. Look them up on youtube.
You can also use a billy can tipped on its side facing the fire, but it's hard to get an even bake.

-Caveman style -- flatten dough into a big pancake, make a good bed of coals and place the bread directly on the embers. Flip it over to cook the other side. This is by far my favorite method because it creates a nice bake, nice crust, and it's so easy. But it takes a LOT of practice and failure before you get good. Be wary of hot-spots in the embers that will burn one area. You'd think the bread would come out stuck with sticks and ash, but it honestly doesn't.

-Nomad style -- make your fire on sand and then bury the dough in hot sand and coals. Give it a whack once baked and no sand will be stuck to it. I promise, it really won't. People all over the world still make their daily bread this way.

-Tandoori style -- bake on a big hot rock placed in the fire

-Dutch oven style -- this is very hard to do but produces the best result if done right. Bread will be golden and moist. I use an aluminum Coleman messkit with the lid snapped on, but you can use a billy can, cast iron pot, anything really.

Something which would be really badass, which I've never tried, would be to keep a sourdough starter alive while on the trail.

OP
Rune

Rune

Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Montgomery, AL
Website
starberryghost.wixsite.com
I still havent found my book.
Heres some info about Hardtack.
It just needs salt, flour, and water.

Hard tack is basically a hard cracker made from water, flour and salt. It's a great survival food because it will stay edible for years as long as you keep it in a dry place. Historically, it was used by soldiers, voyagers and generally anyone who needed an inexpensive food that lasted for a long time. Alternative names for hardtack have been sheet iron and tooth dullers, because they were so hard. It doesn't sound very appetizing, I know, but it's much easier to eat when crumbled into coffee, cocoa, soup or cooked with other foods.

Hardtack can be made using milk, butter, sugar, but that shortens the shelf life of it, making it less useful in a survival situation.

Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this recipe:

-3 cups white flour

-2 tsp salt

-1 cup water

You'll also need a bowl, a knife, a cookie sheet and a nail or toothpick.

Here's the full process.

1. Preheat your oven to 375°f or 190°C

2. Mix flour and salt with a bowl. Be sure to mix it well so you don't get any salt spots in the crackers

3. Mix in water until you make a dough that doesn't stick to your hands

4. Flatten the dough into a square about half an inch thick (1.5 cm)

5. Cut it into smaller squares and poke holes into it (keep about half an inch between the holes)

6. Put the squares on the cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, and then turn them around and bake for another 30 minutes.

The crackers should be just a little brown on both sides. Once it cools it will be incredibly hard. You can put it in a ziploc bag and keep it in a car, a backpack or just in your pantry.

Tony Pro

Rambler
Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I forgot about dumpling soup; it’s been getting me through this shitty autumn.
-mix flour and water into dry dough. Baking soda optional but recommended
-dice 1/4 onion and knead into dough.
-add wild herbs like rosemary, chopped ramsons, whatever you have
-cut another 1/4 onion into big pieces and boil in billy can with bouillon cube
-add butter or olive oil if you have it
-break dough into grape-sized dumplings and boil until fluffy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally printed up physical copies of my hitchin' story! Cover art by @spiffypairofspoons on instagram. I added some doodles and stuff to help with formatting, and I'll be carrying copies of these when my band goes on tour in the spring!

I can busk on the way, I usually let people staple their money to me with a staple gun, spit fire or perform other masochistic acts for money.
The guide told me to type my interests and shit here, help people get to know me, I made this so i could get help catching a Freight Train to Seattle and get there by the 20th of December, 2019, never hopped a train before, thought it'd be a fun thing to do. I'm tryna get to more punk shows. Actually pretty straight edge, keep my habits to shows and campfires.
lmfao!!! im figuring this desktop thing out way slow... totally different than a mobile. this site makes way more sens to navigate on a desk top... had no clue this was going to pop up on the main lmfao!!!! it does!!! always wonderd why ppl seen my shit that didnt fallow me!!!! im getting it... slowly...
anybody ride form grand junction co to slc lately? whats the ride like rn?
A Jack-of-all-trades, and a master at being MEDIOCRE
gkyuguhilhhjkbkjgyvhgcdtrs56t7y89u0ipklnbhrtyujnutrefr7yjnkihw tov hhtol
roughdraft wrote on Hobo richard's profile.
nice to have you, welcome to the forum
Matt Derrick wrote on BlowUpTrains's profile.
Hey man, where ya been?