News & Blogs Supreme Court rules that police must obtain a warrant to search cell phones.

East

Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/25/supreme-court-cell-phone-privacy_n_5529368.html

The Supreme Court ruled to limit police searches of arrestee's cell phones without warrants, making a sweeping endorsement for digital privacy. The court reversed the decision of the California appellate court in Riley v. California on Wednesday. According to SCOTUSblog, the high court's decision was unanimous, though Justice Samuel Alito "filed an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment." Below, more from the AP: WASHINGTON (AP) — Police may not generally search the cellphones of people they arrest without first getting search warrants, the Supreme Court ruled Wednesday. The court said cellphones are powerful devices unlike anything else police may find on someone they arrest. Because the phones contain so much information, police must get a warrant before looking through them, Chief Justice John Robert said. The Supreme Court previously had ruled that police could empty a suspect's pockets and examine whatever they find to ensure officers' safety and prevent the destruction of evidence. The Obama administration and the state of California, defending the cellphone searches, said cellphones should have no greater protection from a search than anything else police find. But the defendants in these cases, backed by civil libertarians, librarians and news media groups, argued that cellphones, especially smartphones, are increasingly powerful computers that can store troves of sensitive personal information. In the cases decided Wednesday, one defendant carried a smartphone, while the other carried an older flip phone. "Modern cellphones are not just another technological convenience. With all they contain and all they may reveal, they hold for many Americans the privacies of life," Roberts said. The court's answer to what police must do before searching phones is simple: "Get a warrant," he said.

Reactions: Sip

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
"Police may not generally search the cellphones of people they arrest..."

So exceptions are allowed? I am skeptical as to whether this ruling changes anything. Cops are generally going to do whatever they want to do regardless of the legality of it and not be held accountable for their actions.

East

Reaction score
"Police may not generally search the cellphones of people they arrest..."

So exceptions are allowed? I am skeptical as to whether this ruling changes anything. Cops are generally going to do whatever they want to do regardless of the legality of it and not be held accountable for their actions.
Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. As far as I can tell, if someones life is in danger they can still search. I've been googling everywhere but I can't find much clarity on the language of the rulling.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads