Super Cheap $80 Apartment in Thailand VIDEO (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Not bad at all! Building looks nice and clean and well built too. And with puppies!! :)

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Can a tourist work there and still afford it or should you just bring what you're going to spend?

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Currently renting a studio apartment in Northern Thailand for $80 per month - cheaper than a one-night stay in most US hotels.

Check the video here:

a very cool video! i know lots of people that talk about this all the time (especially on zero to travel) but it's nice to see first hand what $80 might get you in thailand. im also kind of surpised what an upscale looking area it is you're living in too... makes me definitely want to check it out!

i subscribed to your channel, liked the video, and tweeted it :)

im curious though, what camera you're using and are you using a stabilizer?

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
Can a tourist work there and still afford it or should you just bring what you're going to spend?
I know people teaching English here and are getting paid decent - I think it's hard to save up money that way though unless you are in Japan.

My experience: I work here from my computer as a freelance designer making U.S. rates - the dollar goes very far here as you can see, so making Thai wages is not ideal.

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
a very cool video! i know lots of people that talk about this all the time (especially on zero to travel) but it's nice to see first hand what $80 might get you in thailand. im also kind of surpised what an upscale looking area it is you're living in too... makes me definitely want to check it out!

i subscribed to your channel, liked the video, and tweeted it :)

im curious though, what camera you're using and are you using a stabilizer?

Awesome thanks for subscribing and the re-tweet!

I use a Nikon 1J5 camera - I just put it on the end of a cheap tripod, no stabilizer. I do sometimes stabilize in post production though with Adobe Premiere.

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
Awesome thanks for subscribing and the re-tweet!

I use a Nikon 1J5 camera - I just put it on the end of a cheap tripod, no stabilizer. I do sometimes stabilize in post production though with Adobe Premiere.

Matt, you mentioned Zero to Travel - I listened to your interview with Jason and really enjoyed it.

Jason interviewed me on hitchhiking across the states - you can check it out here: http://zerototravel.com/podcast/hitchhiking-across-the-usa-zero-to-travel-podcast/

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.