Suggestions for passing the time @ work... (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

Deleted member 25534

I deleted myself
I've never worked a straight desk job, at least for someone else, but there's usually some downtime in the ways that I have worked and traveled, or prefer to anyway.

I'm addicted to notebooks. Any kind, size, color. Blank paper, lined paper, no matter. I write notes, ideas, lists (so many fuckin' lists!), practice handwriting styles...anything. I like to read, as well.

I usually take some drumsticks wherever I go, it helps to keep the chops up, and I've learned that a pair of sticks are a surprisingly efficient (and legal) self-defense tool, if you ever need such a thing (hopefully not, tho).

Sometimes I like to just look up and around, you know? There's all sorts of amazing shit everywhere that so many miss each day. I would think the majority of people on this forum are pretty in-tune to their surroundings, you kinda have to be to survive out there, but it's baffling to me how many people in the 9 to 5 world just don't notice their environments at all, or even care to. Their loss, really.

I'm not an easily bored person to be honest, especially on the road or in nature. I could spend an hour or two skipping rocks or some shit and be just fine, flipping bottle caps, looking for bugs, old coins, whatever. I like improvising little throwing games. Rocks were one of the first recreational tools, after all...

And booze tends to enhance all of this, for me, so passing time has never been an issue personally.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Current Location
in medias res
This reminds me of an episode overseas in the service - during an 'alarm red' (you don your chemical gear, blackout procedures, take cover, etc.) 'Quality Assurance' passed thru one time during one of these drills & caught a civilian secretary riding one of our own jet mechanics - gas mask & all! As a civilian, the secretary wasn't required to wear the chemical gear - however our mechanic was fully covered. Well, almost...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

If I had one more freight hop left in me, maybe two, I would take an NS 27A (auto rack) to Macon, get shuttled to Warner Robins to visit my friends since I haven't seen them for quite a while, then head back to Macon. Next up, maybe I would stay put under a skirted piggyback heading southbound to Jacksonville just to explore the Macon/Valdosta districts.
who's in Grand Junction Colorado?
Feelin all bougie with a vehicle! Bigger badder adventures!
new bucket list. the national parks. all of them
Trying to hitch out this week!!
Need ride today from Vegas to Reno will help with gas
Headed to seattle soon lets hope the trains aren't too cold.
I caught a fucking cold at 2AM this morning, still sleepless...

Staff online