Alternative Food - Guinea Pigs - Would you?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I'd eat one for sure. I guess they must be along the same taste as rabbits. I think they were originally domesticated as a food source anyways, and only later became pets. weird. I guess if you did it in your home, the animal cruelty thing wouldnt be a problem. especially if you dont live in the city. and as well, hell yes raise and train your own food. Much better than someone else doing it. I say go for it, let us know how it was.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I can't see the point of raising guinea pigs, it seems like a lot of effort for such a small amount of meat, you'd probably be better off learning how to snare or trap small game like rabbits or squirrels which would provide you with the nearest wild analogue without the extra effort of raising the animals.

Disclaimer: I was a vegan for 18 years and transitioned to a notionally paleo diet about four years ago. After a great deal of soul-searching about the environmental, social and psychological effects of agriculture (or, maybe, just time in the woods without any peer pressure) I decided that I had a number of personal moral, ethical and intellectual objections to continuing to be vegan, none of which I feel the need to discuss here. I concede, of course, that vegans are deeply commited people who are, simply, better than me and I ask them respectfully to please not flame me for choosing to eat a different kind food to them.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
The point is that they breed like hell, and its a lot less work, and more sure, than trapping. I cant say for sure with Guinea pigs, but thats my guess after a lot of years raising rabbits. They also arent much meat, or chickens for that matter. Thing is if you have 5 litters of 5-6 pups per year per breeder, you have a good amount of meat available. And they breed year round, so there isnt a season.

Puckett

Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
my dad saw a thing in the paper on how to cook guinea pig soup, he put it on the fridge (mostly to piss off my sister because she had 2 of them). when my sister saw it she got all upset because he said he was making it for dinner. she knew he was joking but it was still funny.

so yeah i would eat one, why the hell not. its food and a delicacy in some country's.

and on a side note its not like my sis was 12 when he did this she was 20 and it was funny, my dads a big joker. :)

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
The point is that they breed like hell, and its a lot less work, and more sure, than trapping. I cant say for sure with Guinea pigs, but thats my guess after a lot of years raising rabbits. They also arent much meat, or chickens for that matter. Thing is if you have 5 litters of 5-6 pups per year per breeder, you have a good amount of meat available. And they breed year round, so there isnt a season.

In that case, the only real drawback is that it's rodent meat so you'd need some form of supplementary fat intake to avoid the risk of getting rabbit starvation.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
That new one minute editing rule is bollocks.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I think as long as you still have a bit of diversity in your diet, it shouldnt be much of a problem. I wouldnt advise eating a strictly guinea pig diet, or any other single source diet for that matter. I imagine as a supplement to a diet that could still contain milk/butter/yogurt or whatever other animal sourced fats year round, it shouldnt present any problems at all.
Which brings up the very exciting prospective of guinea pig dairy farms. Mmmmmm, guinea cheese.
In that case, the only real drawback is that it's rodent meat so you'd need some form of supplementary fat intake to avoid the risk of getting rabbit starvation.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Which brings up the very exciting prospective of guinea pig dairy farms. Mmmmmm, guinea cheese.

You'd need a very small milking stool.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
You'd probably end up with the same problems you have with rabbits: Protein poisoning and worms. If you eat nothing but Guinea pigs, you'll probably get really damn sick, cuz I don't think they have any fat. Unless you eat the brain. And most rodents get wormy in the summer, unless you're in a tundra.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
You'd probably end up with the same problems you have with rabbits: Protein poisoning and worms. If you eat nothing but Guinea pigs, you'll probably get really damn sick, cuz I don't think they have any fat. Unless you eat the brain. And most rodents get wormy in the summer, unless you're in a tundra.
There are not many things that you can eat "nothing but" without getting some type of sick. And if you take care of your animals, and raise them in a clean way, worms shouldnt be too much of an issue. I said before, I raised rabbits for years for food, and never had any problems.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix
P

Pheonix

raising rabbits for meat is going to be easier and more productive. if in a survival situation I'd go after an animal that can actually feed me, like a deer, elk, bear or even a dog. but if all else fails I'll eat whatever I can catch and kill.

travelin

Reaction score
Want to caution anyone on killing armadillos for food.

Armadillos carry a form of leprosy that can transmit to humans.

It was once considered medically impossible for this to happen but back in the early 80's one of my second cousins caught leprosy from skinning armadillos. He was big into making armadillo chili for competitions so he was handling a lot of armadillo meat. since then a few other cases have been identified.

Once well cooked the disease is killed and wont transmit but handling the raw meat can fuck you up. Use latex or nitrile gloves, long sleeves and wash the hell out of your hands and arms when done.

As for the guinea pig for food idea, you bet id skin and eat one, though if raising small animals for food i think id rather use rabbit.

dprogram

Reaction score
I couldn't ever do it and I think it's fucking sick to do so.
And same goes for rabbits. I love rabbits. I'd rather kill traveling kids then rabbits.

Yeah but would you eat a travelling kid?

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
My Ex-Gf was Peruvian, They call them "Cui" (read in spanish) or "coo-ee", because thats the sound they make when they "talk". also known here as guinea pigs. they are the same as the one's you get in Pet store, maybe a sligthly different since they are fed other foods.

They are easy to raise, keep them in a corral, throw veggetable leftovers, they eat any vegetable or leafy Veggie, roots like potatoes and carrots, and they have a special grass for them too.

She said her friend in Peru raised them to sell them to be eaten. Its not that difficult to find. I would eat it, I've also Eaten Rabbit. Rabbits are chewy.

Here near my house, they have an Asian market, they have geese eggs, and small chicken eggs with WITH THE PRE-CHICKEN FETUS inside, They also sell deep friend geese and Duck. they have Eels, Some weird looking fishes, And all sorts of Animal Organs for sale too, like Cow tongue and Bull Testicles.

Monterey

Reaction score
I would eat ginny pigs in a heartbeat. They are just rodents, and although are mammals and more complex animals, they are nowhere near on the spectrum of dogs or cats for intelligence and bondabiliy/personality. Rodents are about the stupidest of mammals. A dog can learn it's name quickly, a rodent generally never will. Carnivores are outdoors/pet animals. Herbivores are food.
I don't know about putting it on a leash and giving them names and whatnot. I have raised chickens and you pretty much objectify them. Chicken are retards, so to me they are just walking crops. Every once in a while their egg laying wanes and it's time to lop their head off and have barbeque. I don't believe in anthropomorphizing lower animals. A spider will never "like" you. It isn't even capable. It doesn't even have a brain, just a ganglia. Rodent/herbivore = food. Insect/Reptile = Robot. Carnivore mammal = possible friend or dinner, depending.

- Monterey

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads