Discussion StP Social Center project (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
So this thread is for discussing an idea I've had for many years now, that I would like to share with the community and get some input on.

This thread is for discussing an extension of the Squat the Planet website into real life by starting a homebase/headquarters for the StP community in the form of a physical location with full time live-in residents, as well as accommodating a rotating cast of visiting travelers.

The location would take the form of a plot of land that would be turned into a residence while also giving a space for other projects. The residence portion would take the form of what could be best described as an RV park, where residents long term and short term alike could come and go as they please between travels. There would also be more permanent structures in place, such as teepees, tents, yurts, and possibly more advanced alternative building structures like shipping container houses, etc.

Amenities would include shore/house power, potable water, public showers, a travel-specific library, mail boxes, and others.

The space would also be designed to have an open performance area/stage, campfire hangout spots, a bar for special events, and other areas such as gardens and a blacksmith shop. Other ideas are possible based on what the residents want to pursue.

Apologies for the vagueness at this point, but location, monetary and social logistics are all things that will need to be discussed in this thread, and as we work things out, i will update this first post with the latest information that is decided upon; eventually, the goal here is to have an exact outline of the project and what we hope to achieve and why.

At this point though, I just want to get the discussion started so feel free to post your input, concerns, and ideas for how we can make this a reality.

@Staff @VikingAdventurer @Cornelius Vango

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
i would like to say that in terms of location, i personally would like to find a place that isn't too remote and not too difficult for other travelers to get to. in addition, i'd like to be somewhere it isn't impossible to find work, so residents can have jobs if they want to while living there, either to save up for the next leg of travel or finance projects in the space.

unfortunately i have yet to visit the Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture, but i imagine that our space might be a StP version of that?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
fuckin awesome if i can, one day, make myself useful on this front I'll get back to you

i feel like nw arkansas may be the spot but all i got is a hunch
yeah, i feel like the midwest would be a good possibility as well. kinda curious about kcmo, but it would need some further investigation.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Good idea. I was thinking of purchasing land somewhere in southern Colorado or New Mexico for a project like this. It's just the funds to do it or pool together with other people and be co-owners? It's a good idea Matt!
sorry, i should have touched on that in the OP (i'll updated it soon), but yeah, the idea would be that the land would be owned under a trust with a board of directors essentially, so no one person owns the land. it would definitely be owned and run collectively.

in terms of getting it paid for, i'm open to ideas, but my main focus might theoretically be a kickstarter of some kind, where we could sell weekend visits/parties at the land to raise money for it. we did this when i created an indigogo campaign for east jesus and it did pretty well.

Chazten

Hometown
Daytona
ive been thinking about moving to Pueblo

do you know this area?
In my opinion Pueblo is awful, not sure what you mean by “move” there but if it means start a new life there with a place and a job then you may regret it but that’s just me

Good idea. I was thinking of purchasing land somewhere in southern Colorado or New Mexico for a project like this. It's just the funds to do it or pool together with other people and be co-owners? It's a good idea Matt!
Yeeeeaaaa southern Colorado has great land for cheap, steer clear of Costilla County though their getting strict on the off grid shit. Pm me if you want I’m tryna blow some money from last season on good land around here soon

Tengu91

Hometown
Tusayan, AZ
I'm all about this idea! Not gonna lie; I'm mostly commenting to give support and to get notifications on this thread as it grows. I'm about to crash for the night, but I'll definitely come back and try to contribute to the brainstorm in any way I can. Good on you though, @Matt Derrick!

Hometown
Arkansa
Missouri & illinois are cheap & remote but close to major cities in southern Illinois Easter. Missouri. Weather is mild in South Western/ eastern & no building codes in most counties. Owner financing is also a option & a valid foot in the door. Plus marijuana is medical in both States for the hemp enthusiasts.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
so just a quick update for people interested...

first off, i've cleaned up this thread deleting posts that were off topic or related to some research of land in austin, texas that ended up being a dead end.

second, i will be traveling through Kansas City, MO (KCMO) around the end of December or early January on my way to New Orleans, so I figured I'd stop by there for a week or so and scope things out. I've heard KCMO has cheap land and a somewhat burgeoning punk community (among other benefits like being on major train lines) so I figure I should check it out while i can and report back here. i've been talking with some other StP members that either live there and others that have been there recently, and it seems like a strong possibility.

third, when i have the extra funds for it, i'm planning on commissioning some artwork from @awkwardshelby to kind of illustrate what this space would look like to give everyone a stronger idea of what i'm going for.

that's it for now, i'll update when there's more to say.

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hometown
Tacoma, WA
I'm down. We've been wanting to set up a place like that for decades. However, we like WA. Nothing says there can be only one location. The People's Project in SD is similar. The biggest hurdles are purchase price and zoning laws. A bit easier in more rural locations for both. However, having lived in a tiny Town the politics and BS is problematic. Even if you don't live in a town proper, word gets out and you've got Bible Thumpin' God Fearin' rednecks that don't want "one of them hippie communes" around. Since all of the government posts are occupied by their relatives, they will do what they can to block it.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Hometown
on thin ice or in hot water
Not that I have a better alternative; cooperative, collective - etc. they're all emblematic of a certain type of enterprise

perhaps Human Fusion Reactor Test Site? Slabs East/North/Central

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
from a branding standpoint 'Social Center' seems loaded
Not that I have a better alternative; cooperative, collective - etc. they're all emblematic of a certain type of enterprise
yeah, i'll probably end up changing the title of this thread to 'co-op punk rock rv park' or something similar.

Breck

Hometown
Stuck in the rustbelt
Do yourself a favor and check with local laws first. There's a park near me that has a lot of hippie festivals and it's pretty much a commune. They have constant problems with local government trying to shut it down using every excuse in the book. They have been successful so far keeping them off there backs. I would start looking at the place in Tennessee that has been working for years and maybe get some input from them. These types of free living usually get lots of visits from ABC organizations. You will definitely need your own security. I have wished for the money for such a place for 20+ years after visiting a punk house in Baltimore and seeing what they were doing with a community center there. I wish you the best of luck. If you ever figure this out I will definitely help in anyway I can.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Do yourself a favor and check with local laws first. There's a park near me that has a lot of hippie festivals and it's pretty much a commune. They have constant problems with local government trying to shut it down using every excuse in the book. They have been successful so far keeping them off there backs. I would start looking at the place in Tennessee that has been working for years and maybe get some input from them. These types of free living usually get lots of visits from ABC organizations. You will definitely need your own security. I have wished for the money for such a place for 20+ years after visiting a punk house in Baltimore and seeing what they were doing with a community center there. I wish you the best of luck. If you ever figure this out I will definitely help in anyway I can.
Which punk house in Baltimore? I used to live in that city. But yes, local laws and housing associations are on my list to check for any property we would be considering.

Breck

Hometown
Stuck in the rustbelt
Which punk house in Baltimore? I used to live in that city. But yes, local laws and housing associations are on my list to check for any property we would be considering.
Wish I could remember the address.. that community center run by a bunch of punx was the greatest thing I'd ever seen at that point. All I remember was the community center was around the corner from where we were staying and the punx had weekly meetings to discuss what they did and to pony up their own money to keep it running. They had free daycare for working single moms, potluck dinners, library, and help for struggling people in the neighborhood..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$105.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $105.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Nearly done with the electrical system of the van. 170Ah Lithium ion, 2/4K inverter, 400 watt of solar, 40A MPPT controller. Should be up and running (or explode) this weekend.

After that I have to finish the primary work table, which will be the last big piece of the build.
back in FL 4 da 3rd time til I head 2 Colorado
Hey folks, we've opened up a new thread to discuss organizing this year's jamboree in the san juan islands! You should throw in your two cents! https://squattheplanet.com/fest
returning refreshed, refurbished and re-treaded ... om back what did i miss?
Offline for a short stint. Be back soon.
NOLA anybody? i got wheels. thinking about getting something to drink and marking some trains
Oddman wrote on Brodiesel710's profile.
Nice picture, on the Wikipedia "hobo" page... I was working on that page a little, a few weeks ago. It's a total mess and I just scratched the surface, but I keep watching and hoping someone else will improve it. That photo improves it for sure. Wish I knew enough about hobo history to write something decent there.
Got a new pad in CinCinNasty , anyone passing nearby hit me up. Got a couch and brews
.and smoke if that's your thing.
el Pasooooo.... here I AM. Sticken out like a white girl in mexico haha. Hitchen to white sands in a couple days oo baybeh ~ who's out here?
Still learning how this werkz lol