Seeking Help StP is seeking a library curator (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I am looking for someone to take on the unpaid and thankless job of a digital librarian to help us organize and (most importantly) remove irrelevant content from the library section of this website. I need someone that is willing to take the time to do the following (taken from our guide to using stp):

V. File Library

Our file library is a repository of digital books, zines, pamphlets, maps, guides, movies, and other information you might find useful in your travels. We are always looking for contributions, so if you have something you think the community will find useful, please take a moment to upload it. Here are some tips for making sure your upload has maximum impact:
  1. Please include a detailed description of the item being uploaded. You don't have to write a novel, but please include more than one sentence. You can even copy the description from wikipedia, google, amazon, etc, just as long as anyone viewing your contribution can understand what they are about to download.

2. Please include a screenshot of the cover or whatever is relevant for that item. Again, this goes a long way towards helping users decide if they want to download your file or not.

3. Useful, but not required, is a link to where folks can find more information, like a wikipedia page, amazon listing, etc. You'll see the field for that during your submission, so just paste a URL in that box.

4. Also not required, but makes things look nice and tidy, is if you upload an icon to represent that item in the library. I usually just re-upload the screenshot/cover of the book as the icon as well and the system will resize it for you.
Of course, anyone assisting us in this task will get the same upgrade donators get and it's associated perks.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
I am looking for someone to take on the unpaid and thankless job of a digital librarian to help us organize and (most importantly) remove irrelevant content from the library section of this website. I need someone that is willing to take the time to do the following (taken from our guide to using stp):

Of course, anyone assisting us in this task will get the same upgrade donators get and it's associated perks.

Even the bj????

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
After careful decision Ive decided not to opt in for Librarian. Thanks anyway.

TChungMayMay

Maintainer of ancient travel tomes
Library Curator
Current Location
California
I'd be happy to do it again, I was the curator previously and did a bunch of work on it, then got in a situation where I didn't have internet access for a couple of months and got booted, which was totally fair since I did just vanish for awhile, but I have a laptop again and could keep on working through it if that works for you.

KnifeToe

Lurker
Current Location
Buddha's Asshole
Can you give some examples of what you consider irrelevant content, and why? Also, what kind of content can be remedied? Thanks!

sparklythings

Maintainer of ancient travel tomes
Library Curator
Current Location
@KnifeToe - I would imagine anything that isn't good educational information regarding that particular subject.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I'd be happy to do it again, I was the curator previously and did a bunch of work on it, then got in a situation where I didn't have internet access for a couple of months and got booted, which was totally fair since I did just vanish for awhile, but I have a laptop again and could keep on working through it if that works for you.
thank you, i appreciate the offer (again)!

i'll probably whip up a quick tutorial video just to show you what to do / what can be done, etc.

gimme a day or two to get that set up then i'll give you and one other person that volunteered the permissions needed to go in and edit what needs to be edited.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Can you give some examples of what you consider irrelevant content, and why? Also, what kind of content can be remedied? Thanks!
@KnifeToe - I would imagine anything that isn't good educational information regarding that particular subject.
@sparklythings has it about right, i mean, it's not our job to host things that have nothing to do with travel our it's related sub-cultures, so say, a biography of the kardashians would definitely have no place here. A book about hitchhiking experiences on the other hand would fit well for something that might interest people in this community yet be relevant to our subject material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I got my first trespass in over five years of riding, but the bull in clovis was doing that thing were he scans the cars from a ladder and my bike had the back wheel off so i couldnt run. I caught the next train after he let me go.
The amarillo northyard hopout is trashed, can yall clean up after yourself. No wonder they put up all these new fences here.
just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!
how many of you get inspired when you watch 'into the wild'??? i know it always makes me want to hit the road.
Faceplant wrote on NotmybestNotmyworst's profile.
Come here, let me give you a big, loving hug. But don’t pick up the soap.
Looking for folks in Nyc, tips also welcome!