Stove Noob

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I was working at a golf course until they caught me in the building, I'd obviously slept in the kitchen. So they do what any loving boss would do, they fire me, because im a disposable dishwasher. Anyway, I find myself houseless in the suburbs of Chicago. I have experience being houseless, but I have never, ever used any kind of stoves. I don't even start fires because im too paranoid.
So I got the MSR pocket rocket 2 so that I can cook for myself and save some money. I ordered a 30 oz fuel canister, and I'm wondering if there are places where I can easily fill this thing with isopro, or anything else the pocket rocket can use? Also, can I use other types of fuels with this, or am I stuck using the isopro stuff? Any info is much appreciated. I researched the forums and I couldn't find anything directly discussing refilling these canisters. Is it hard to find places to do this? Is there somewhere i can buy a lot of this fuel? I read something online about having your own water and stone? I'm lost haha.

Reactions: Bibs

Bibs

Reaction score
I've had a few roaddogs who swear by those stoves and yes they are refillable but the seal in the can tends to degrade after 3 or 4 refills and can cause leaks or depressurization. You'll want to get ahold of one of these little adaptors to help facilitate the process, they're between seven and ten dollars at hardware and camping stores. I hope this helps ya, and sorry I don't have more info than that. Be safe and have fun.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-120737.png
    Screenshot_20211117-120737.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 169

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
I used the whisperlite with liquid gas. And would buy the 1 gallon Coleman white gas ($15) (you can get a different companies white gas at Walmart for half that). And bury the gallon can to refill as needed.

I think it is harder to simmer with the whisperlite than the setup you're using though.

And the startup of the liquid gas stove could be more alarming to onlookers as well.

You can buy the big propane bombs and switch those in and out at local grocery stores, but that's generally only useful if you have a vehicle or a secure ish long term camp.

I got fired from a job for a similar reason. Wasn't camping at work but blabbed too much to the wrong person about how I was living. . .

You really got to keep it on the downlow or work for people who really don't care.

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I made the mistake of telling the chefs early on because i thought they were my friends. They didn't rat me out, but it just gave them a lot of unnecessary anxiety. Its difficult to not talk about how you live too much, a lot of times it's like people jsut think i'm making shit up. But yeah lesson learned, thanks for all the input, this is good stuff.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads