Stopped to say hi finally (1 Viewer)

applejuice

Lurker
Lurked for a long time, created an account, lurked even more. Figured i might as well say hi.

Been toying with the idea of getting out of this dead city of mine for years, and since i saved up some money, this may very well be the spring i finally do.
For the past year i have been working everywhere i can to save for some basic shit like a decent backpack, clothes and whatnot.
Currently working as a night shift delivery guy, which extends to 12+ hour shifts for ~2$/hr with little to no overtime. Worked at a sheep farm before that for a couple of months, but it didn't work out, as things tend to do you know.

Hitching and squatting is not foreign to me, though doing so for longer than a couple of months is, so i'm still figuring things out. The plan was to travel a bit and use helpx and whatnot to find farm work, maybe make connections for some extra cash along the way. Happy to take other suggestions though.

Figuring visas out seems to be the biggest issue right now, as things are more complicated on this side of the puddle.

Anyways, cheers everyone. If anyone is looking for some company along the way, feel free to shoot a message my way. I can make some mean beans!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Hometown
Rochester, NY
Welcome to STP! We've been getting many more people join here outside the US borders and the is awesome! And it sounds like you have quite a plan in works - do you know were you want to go and see?

OP
applejuice

applejuice

Lurker
do you know were you want to go and see?
Not yet, still need to figure out which countries i need a visa for so i know to avoid those. Its not as simple here as in the US, that's for sure. Wouldn't really like entering a county, then spending time in a "hotel" with bars just because i didn't do my research

I'll base my route on the first reply i get from helpx. Also, i have a couple of friends scattered around who said i am more than welcome to visit and stay for a few days, so that would be my "pit stops" as well.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
that's awesome man, welcome to StP! it's so nice to see so many new people from the european area lately! i heard that croatia is going to be joining the schengen zone in mid 2016? if so, you might be in luck and not need a visa at all :)

i dunno if you're into the idea of van dwelling, but there's a really neat blog about a guy that travels around europe in his awesomely converted van:

http://vandogtraveller.com

just throwing that out there :)

D

Deleted member 14481

I deleted myself
Welcome to the fun floor! Safe travels!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.
Just found out my neighbor died. One day I'm helping him change his starter, the next he's gone. Just walked around inside his house. That would be the first time I have smelled death. The eeriest though was that the UPS guy still left him a package. PS He was a big John Wayne fan!! RIP Rick!
SIX10 wrote on Cussock's profile.
whatz your avatar from?? looks sick
Twin cities folks, anybody looking to go out, maintain a respectable distance, and explore something this Friday night?
Committed phone memory to two of these guys albums just last night, after not listening to them for years. Found out today that one of em died just two days prior.
They fathered ebm in 1981 -the same genre of industrial that NIN brought to the mainstream over 10 years later.

Dude thinks he's gonna "make a deal" with the virus.

It's like a virtual pact with *Satan*.👹 Maybe if he sacrifices all the helpless ones to the thing, the devil will just let him be? Let him keep his status, his presidency, his supporters?