Photos Stonehenge & Avebury stone circle (1 Viewer)

Raggamuffin

Wanderer
Recently I was at Stonehenge - don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place... However, just 20 miles up the road is Avebury - the WORLD's LARGEST stone circle, (also built earlier than Stonehenge). Avebury lives in Stonehenge's celebrity shadow. At Avebury you can touch and walk among the stones, which you can't do at Stonehenge, and also is far less packed with tourists and completely free to enter, at any given time, day or night.

The sheer scale of Avebury is impressively vast - the outer circle is 1,088 ft in diameter, about a mile of walking round. Walking among these stones, you get a deep sense of connection to the past and you almost feel as if you're walking through an ancient city. The feeling was a new and profound one for me - I felt very humbled.

Around Avebury there is also a tomb, a sanctuary (though these stones have gone and been replaced with wooden markers) and Europe's largest artificial mound called Silbury Hill. England's megalith structures are incredible to say the least, and there's so much rich, unexplored and unexplained history in the land.

Winter Solstice later this month, I'll be at Avebury ✌

Side note, interestingly the magic mushrooms picked within sacred sites have a different colour to them, and are considerably a lot stronger than others depite being the same variety. Megalith sites were said to be built on the intrinsic fields of the earth, so it makes sense that whatever grows around them would be more potent... 🍄
75478439_432793397639777_5823670130877399040_n-jpg.53673

img_4165-jpg.53671
img_4151-jpg.53670

img_4160-jpg.53672

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Nice, this video talks about what you mentioned somewhat with the sites.. heard about that spot you mentioned before too, thanks for sharing.

OP
Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Wanderer
wow i did not know that place existed! im definitely going to add that to my list of places to see, thank you!
Absolutely, it’s a must! You’re welcome, so much lesser known, which peaks interest so much more...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My Anarchist's Guide to Travel came in today, six days early! I know it's not anything major, but I feel like I'm finally making progress towards getting myself out and traveling.

Now I just have to make sure I don't forget about my book review (which I wrote in my spare time) because I was too busy plowing through this. 😬

EDIT: It also came with a message from Matt and an awesome StP sticker that I didn't notice at first! Thank you!!
Katbearfoot wrote on Fenimore's profile.
cool tats! ;)
Back in the states, where madness reigns supreme

But I'm alright here in Wichita, KS

Found some beautiful nature spots

kickin' it with my parents

Hit me up if you roll through

Hope you all are well and I hope things start changing for the better
Jerrell wrote on Twiggy's profile.
Good to hear.
Weekly voice chat is in 30 mins in our discord, come conversate with us using your vocal cords
Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Borntobewild1989