Steel Toed

scum

Reaction score
So I know boots are a terrible idea in generally on a train because well they are hard to untie. But I just have one question...do steel in tips somehow polaratize to the other metal and cause some kind of magnet effect? Lol who has hopped in steelies and how the hell did that go for ya?

scum

Reaction score
If you get your foot caught and you are wearing foot coverings that are hard to slip off then instead of losing your shoe you lose your foot

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I always wear boots... skimpy doc, but technically boots. Solid footwear is always advised..but personally I like to keep shit light so I pass on buying steel toe these days. All that to say I never found any strange affects from wearing them when I did...
Now with this slip of theory, cant say I have ever come close to a situation like that to ever even consider it

acer910

Reaction score
hahah wtf?? if your boot gets caught on a train chances are your already loosing a limb...
just keep the laces tucked inside or under a pants leg and youl be fine.

and steeltoed boots are alright, you get a LOT of toe room in most cases which is cool, but in the colder months the steel gets real cold and stays real cold, so your toes will almost always be freezing.

edit: and boots are actually probably the best idea on trains as far as footwear goes. you can walk for hours on ballast and not feel it, (any more then you would from walking for hours on flat ground) youve got ankle support, and if you were smart when you got em youd have a profound heel so when your catching on the fly and your foot slips, your leg wont go through the ladder.

scum

Reaction score
thanks bro good advice there about the heel. i prefer sturdy sneakers and converse mid tops are ok too....

Dead horse

Reaction score
Ya i usually wear chucks when the weather is nice because i gotta have my feet as close and flat to the ground as possible but i've never had an issue in steel toe boots, kinda nicer after long walks down the tracks anyway

Unslap

Reaction score
I keep my boots laced loosely so that my feet can slip in easily, like a tampon.
Another disadvantage of steel toes-they don't breathe moisture like leather, so your toes can get soggy before theyre frostbitten. They would be great for kicking the shit out of someone tho!

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
My wesco firestormers have composite toes, they have the same strength/safety rating as steel toes but they don't get cold in the winter and won't chop your toes off if they get crushed.

acer910

Reaction score
ive heard about those composite things before^
i think for summertime im gonna find a pair of those semi casual dress shoe things meant to work in. they look like 4hole docs, but with steel toe (sometimes), oil and slip resistant soles, and special stuff in em that makes em comfy for all day walking. used to have a pair, comfiest shoes ive ever walked in.

FLoP

Reaction score
I have fucked up ankles from bmx and skating. So I need the support of a boot if I'm running on loose footing. I like wearing skate shoes personally. Steel toe feels too heavy for walking all day. I have a pair of smiths at the moment for boots. Not too bad for now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads