Stealing...For fun, or necessity?

finn

Playground Monitor
Lifetime Supporter
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
I've gotten stuff out of curiousity, which is different from fun, like my first GPS unit, but at the same time it wasn't exactly out of necessity, though it came in handy from time to time until it broke. I also get curious about knives and tools, but I usually end up giving them away after my curiousity is sated- unless I really like them.

Current Location
seattle
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
for me it started as just getting something to eat when otherwise it would be a few hours until I could eat. not true necessity but still not just for fun. now its stress relief. I still mostly take things ill use, or things my friends will use.

K

Keystone Ice Kid

I deleted myself
3) 1 Liter heavy ass beer mug from the Hofbrauhaus.
2) Fairly generous boxed holiday yule log ice cream cake also using the underarm jacket method.
1) 24 inch bolt cutters while with my mom like 9'th grade rocking the passenger seat.

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
Stealing for me is something I have no desire or need to do however if I was starving, I would not hesitate to steal food. When I am in need of something I wait patiently until I can get the funds to get what is needed.

I don't pan handle or throw up signs when I am travling. Not knocking anyone down for doing so, that's just my personal preference.

There are all sorts of ways to make money while travling. It might be something that you may not enjoy or want to do but with a little patients and effort you can always find a day or few days work.

With all the different places in the states that offer free food, free shelter, free gear and clothes I just don't see the need to have to steal anything however there is always a exception to every rule.

This is certainly a good topic and it has been interesting to hear everyone share the insight and opinions. Safe travels everyone. ;)

Zaphod

Wayfarer
Current Location
Cincinnati
Reactions
79% 3% 17%
I steal all the time. As a member of the impoverished/working class, all of that stuff I take already belongs to me (and all of you as well). We are just liberating it! We deserve the best, not the scraps. I realize that shoplifting isn't revolutionary in and of itself, but realizing that anything you need or want can be paid for with risk, daring, and cunning rather than mindless wage slavery, can effect a real change in outlook.

I also reject the notion that "fun" is separate from "necessity." What use is being alive if you can't have fun? If stealing shit you don't really need makes you happy, do it! I steal MtG cards so I can play with my friends, headlamps for dumpster diving runs, spoke lights for my bike, tools for the community tool chest, make up for my partner, fancy cheese for my friends, you name it. There is no need to not enjoy yourself on behalf of a sense of duty to our capitalist overlords. They should count themselves lucky we stop at theft and not at the gallows!

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Reactions
95% 2% 4%
When I was about half my age, I used to steal batteries and PlayStation demo discs from a grocery store (which later became a Goodwill) and surprisingly not enough security to detain me. I would even walk out a back door already wide open! My parents only punished me once.

ScumRag

Wayfarer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego
Reactions
93% 1% 6%
Lifting from corps is good (& to be applauded) but stealing from your mates or fellow man very bad. It's not part of the problem. The problem is systematic taxed items.

Current Location
Newcastle, UK
Reactions
93% 0% 7%
When im getting my alcohol, especially so if i dont have much money ill more than happily walk into a chain store to steal it, it's so easy in them stores.

Independently owned stores I won't steal from out of respect.

Current Location
Cleveland, OH
Reactions
98% 3% 0%
I used to steal for fun a lot. I would go with friends to all sorts of stores. Luckily I never got caught with anything, although one time we did get caught for vandalizing the store- which is a story for another time. But it really wasn't all that fun. Like the first 10 or so times it was that risky badass adrenaline rush, but after that it sort of got boring.

Now in survival situations, I don't see a problem with stealing from cooperations. If you need it, you need it. Big cooperations make enough money anyways... That would have to be a last resort, though. I always like to go to the dumpsters first, because often times you can find food tat isn't bad. I've also found clean and new clothes, packs of socks, shoes, hygiene products, and random miscellaneous shit.

ScumRag

Wayfarer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego
Reactions
93% 1% 6%
I used to steal chocolate bars all the time back when i was 16-17. At the time i was still in high school and no job, therefore no money. Was a bit of a thrill walking out of kmart with up to 8 chocy bars stuffed in my pockets. Up untill the day i got caught by undercover "loss preventation" staff. Still got arrested and all that. These days it's just not worth the risk for me. Ive just completed a apprenticeship in welding. Why risk my career by shop lifting? Having a criminal record would drastically reduce my job options. And also reduce my chances of entering other countries. Expecially say america and canada.
Amerika is a "shithole" anyway....

Current Location
San Francisco, CA
Reactions
56% 0% 44%
I think a lot of us like to steal from places like Wal-Mart because they represent everything we hate. They are giant, evil corporations that treat their workers like shit, drive Mom and Pops out of business, and often harm the environment. Few shoplifters I have met would be willing to steal from the corner store or from private citizens.

Pocketing some socks or a couple of beers is just our little way of saying FUCK YOU to the agents of evil, as well as having a good time.
Not be a snob or a buzzkill, but anybody who wants to rationalize their stealing by saying you're 'fighting the system' or whatever must know they are very wrong. Those who know their micro&macro econ know this to be true. Basically, stealing from corporations up ultimately hurts those still enslaved to it while the corporation (whose *perceived* power is greater) is generally unaffected. More to come,..
Stealing is bad karma no matter where its from. It makes you no better than the thiefs that your stealing from. If you really need something you can find a way of getting without stealing. Plus everyone bitches about being crusty and getting followed in stores then they go and steal stuff. We should be acting better than the shit heads we hate in corporate america. Stealing is part of the system, not a solution.
Well said

Current Location
EU
Reactions
96% 1% 4%
I gave up on ethics of shop lifting, both ways it's like the butterfly effect if you think about it too much.

I think it's mostly just a neutral thing. Not good not bad just is. Most people do a lot worse shit to get hung up and judgey about it.

Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Reactions
95% 1% 4%
Not be a snob or a buzzkill, but anybody who wants to rationalize their stealing by saying you're 'fighting the system' or whatever must know they are very wrong. Those who know their micro&macro econ know this to be true. Basically, stealing from corporations up ultimately hurts those still enslaved to it while the corporation (whose *perceived* power is greater) is generally unaffected. More to come,..

Well said
those people are hurting themselves and others supporting a slave wage rent system. they're literally causing their own impoverishment as well as others.
I personally don't steal but I also don't think it really matters either.
corporations pay producers next to nothing for their products and charge a shitload screwing the consumers while they pay next to nothing to their employees. they're screwing everybody already as it is. their losses are predetermined and accounted for so you might as well take advantage of it if your willing to risk it.

Last edited:
Current Location
Colorado Springs, CO
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
When I was a teenager we'd steal shit all the time. Sometimes just for fun and sometimes cause someone I know needed something. When it comes to stealing for me, I've always taken only what I needed. Anything more, I feel, is being greedy. Whether it's from a shady person you don't like or an ace hardware Don't get me wrong tho. I've thieved a hundred times from decks of cards to 40s I didn't NEED. Just make sure you're covered. When you are do what you can to make sure other people are too. Although there's a big rush and great feeling when you cross those fucking sensors with a waistline full of paint. Oh shit I miss it kinda. But yeah. For the most part, I only take what I need. Or want really really bad.

Current Location
Deer Lick Springs Rd, Platina, CA 96076, USA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
stealing can get to a point where it's just as consumerist as paying for shit.
this exactly, stealing random shit for fun is no better or worse then buying shit for fun, a boost from material things you don't need.
I also agree with what others have said about restricting your shoplifting to the man/big corps. when I've been in the position of stealing out of necessity, or even subsidy, those are my guidlines. on the flip side of that when I'm spending cash I try to spend it in a way, at a place/business i feel better about spending it (ain't always easy, fuck money).