1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Stealing...For fun, or necessity?

Discussion in 'Making A Living' started by stove, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ravie

Ravie Can't get enough of the site

Address:
    Redding, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +147 / -3
    this is true....i said i wouldnt steal it but i didnt say i wouldnt help drink it :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. finn

finn Playground Monitor
    Lifetime Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Address:
    College Park, MD, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +208 / -4
    I've gotten stuff out of curiousity, which is different from fun, like my first GPS unit, but at the same time it wasn't exactly out of necessity, though it came in handy from time to time until it broke. I also get curious about knives and tools, but I usually end up giving them away after my curiousity is sated- unless I really like them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. treyvor

treyvor Hungry for Knowledge

etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/Handymancrafts
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    for me it started as just getting something to eat when otherwise it would be a few hours until I could eat. not true necessity but still not just for fun. now its stress relief. I still mostly take things ill use, or things my friends will use.

4. Keystone Ice Kid

Keystone Ice Kid Hungry for Knowledge

Address:
    Littleton, NH, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +17 / -1
    3) 1 Liter heavy ass beer mug from the Hofbrauhaus.
    2) Fairly generous boxed holiday yule log ice cream cake also using the underarm jacket method.
    1) 24 inch bolt cutters while with my mom like 9'th grade rocking the passenger seat.

5. Hobo Mud

Hobo Mud Keeping it hobo style
    StP Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Traveling Hobo - Work from city to city
    Address:
    Granbury, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +107 / -1
    Stealing for me is something I have no desire or need to do however if I was starving, I would not hesitate to steal food. When I am in need of something I wait patiently until I can get the funds to get what is needed.

I don't pan handle or throw up signs when I am travling. Not knocking anyone down for doing so, that's just my personal preference.

There are all sorts of ways to make money while travling. It might be something that you may not enjoy or want to do but with a little patients and effort you can always find a day or few days work.

With all the different places in the states that offer free food, free shelter, free gear and clothes I just don't see the need to have to steal anything however there is always a exception to every rule.

This is certainly a good topic and it has been interesting to hear everyone share the insight and opinions. Safe travels everyone. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zaphod

Zaphod One of the Regulars

Address:
    Cincinnati, OH, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +81 / -26
    I steal all the time. As a member of the impoverished/working class, all of that stuff I take already belongs to me (and all of you as well). We are just liberating it! We deserve the best, not the scraps. I realize that shoplifting isn't revolutionary in and of itself, but realizing that anything you need or want can be paid for with risk, daring, and cunning rather than mindless wage slavery, can effect a real change in outlook.

I also reject the notion that "fun" is separate from "necessity." What use is being alive if you can't have fun? If stealing shit you don't really need makes you happy, do it! I steal MtG cards so I can play with my friends, headlamps for dumpster diving runs, spoke lights for my bike, tools for the community tool chest, make up for my partner, fancy cheese for my friends, you name it. There is no need to not enjoy yourself on behalf of a sense of duty to our capitalist overlords. They should count themselves lucky we stop at theft and not at the gallows!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. quad8

quad8 Nowhere bound...
    StP Supporter

CEO of Quad 8 Studios
    Address:
    Brunswick, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +288 / -9
    When I was about half my age, I used to steal batteries and PlayStation demo discs from a grocery store (which later became a Goodwill) and surprisingly not enough security to detain me. I would even walk out a back door already wide open! My parents only punished me once.

8. Timm

Timm Sir Posts a Lot

Qualified welder/metal fabricator
    Address:
    Warburton, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +264 / -3
    I used to steal chocolate bars all the time back when i was 16-17. At the time i was still in high school and no job, therefore no money. Was a bit of a thrill walking out of kmart with up to 8 chocy bars stuffed in my pockets. Up untill the day i got caught by undercover "loss preventation" staff. Still got arrested and all that. These days it's just not worth the risk for me. Ive just completed a apprenticeship in welding. Why risk my career by shop lifting? Having a criminal record would drastically reduce my job options. And also reduce my chances of entering other countries. Expecially say america and canada.

9. ScumRag

ScumRag Appreciated Participator
    Lifetime Supporter

Address:
    San Diego, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +52 / -2
    Lifting from corps is good (& to be applauded) but stealing from your mates or fellow man very bad. It's not part of the problem. The problem is systematic taxed items.

10. DIY Nihilism

DIY Nihilism is getting to know the place

Address:
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +13 / -1
    When im getting my alcohol, especially so if i dont have much money ill more than happily walk into a chain store to steal it, it's so easy in them stores.

Independently owned stores I won't steal from out of respect.

11. adventurekid

adventurekid Appreciated Participator

unemployed
    Address:
    Pittsburgh, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +34 / -0
    I used to steal for fun a lot. I would go with friends to all sorts of stores. Luckily I never got caught with anything, although one time we did get caught for vandalizing the store- which is a story for another time. But it really wasn't all that fun. Like the first 10 or so times it was that risky badass adrenaline rush, but after that it sort of got boring.

Now in survival situations, I don't see a problem with stealing from cooperations. If you need it, you need it. Big cooperations make enough money anyways... That would have to be a last resort, though. I always like to go to the dumpsters first, because often times you can find food tat isn't bad. I've also found clean and new clothes, packs of socks, shoes, hygiene products, and random miscellaneous shit.

12. ScumRag

ScumRag Appreciated Participator
    Lifetime Supporter

Address:
    San Diego, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +52 / -2
    Amerika is a "shithole" anyway....

13. mordecaimpls

mordecaimpls is getting to know the place

bodhisattva
    Address:
    Albuquerque, NM, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +5 / -1
    Not be a snob or a buzzkill, but anybody who wants to rationalize their stealing by saying you're 'fighting the system' or whatever must know they are very wrong. Those who know their micro&macro econ know this to be true. Basically, stealing from corporations up ultimately hurts those still enslaved to it while the corporation (whose *perceived* power is greater) is generally unaffected. More to come,..
    Well said

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. kecleon

kecleon Previously charmander

Address:
    Eu, Normandy, France
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +213 / -7
    I gave up on ethics of shop lifting, both ways it's like the butterfly effect if you think about it too much.

I think it's mostly just a neutral thing. Not good not bad just is. Most people do a lot worse shit to get hung up and judgey about it.