stealin an instrument... (1 Viewer)

JungleBoots

Lurker
Current Location
Detroit MI
when i was picked up for shoplifting cloths i had to take a fucking weekend class, in it i learned that about 20% of the display price in most stores are to cover the security to prevent shoplifting, which i personally think is bull shit... cause if people buy it at that price... the retailers would sell it at that price... even if shoplifting ever existed.

anyway... i dont really know what my point was... but im saying something anyway >.>

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

MrToast

Lurker
I got a full guitar starter kit, just walked looked around for a sec, found what I wanted took it out of the box and walked out. of course the cashier was talkin to like 3 or 4 other people but I still pulled it off.

GutterGrayse

Lurker
Current Location
It's The Water
Website
www.facebook.com
It usually works to just wait til the clerks are buy, then walk out with the instrument hidden by your body from them. Just be smart about it, man. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Wait til you feel like it's going to work. And always have a place to immediately hide/go when you get out o

plagueship

Current Location
the desert
i just want to point out that guitars are terrible for busking unless you can completely shred it. dirty white kids with guitars = a sight that most people are bored to death with already. go for a banjo or mandolin or SOMETHING.

OP
E

earthowl

I deleted myself
no way dood. find a friend that looks kind of normal and young, have them go into a middle school and grab an instrument if anyone says shit, tell the people your little brother/sister needs it to practice.

good deal man. thats how i got my clarinet

Uncle Mom

Current Location
everywhere
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
no way dood. find a friend that looks kind of normal and young, have them go into a middle school and grab an instrument if anyone says shit, tell the people your little brother/sister needs it to practice.

good deal man. thats how i got my clarinet
OK So if nobody is going to have respect for the others around them and say this, I WILL. THIS IS BULL SHIT!!!! I am tired of getting lumped in with thieves because I have patches on my clothes. I don't steal anything. I have more respect for myself than that. When you go stealing you MAKE THE REST OF US LOOK BAD.... Guilty by association.

Especially schools. Most schools barely have enough money to keep their music programs and classes open, so you steal from CHILDREN? SHAME ON YOU. How do you think some little middle school kid is going to feel when the instrument that they usually use is gone? My kids are in middle school. HOW DARE YOU.

Whether or not a store has insurance does not make stealing right.

If you are tired of getting fucked with by the police for nothing, and if you are tired of getting kicked out of stores for no reason, YOU SHOULD BE ANGRY AT THIS TOO. Quit perpetuating the negative view of travelers. QUIT BEING A DOUCHE BAG and get some fucking respect for yourself, and the next traveler who is going to be in that store/town/etc.

WTF people...?!!! They don't call me MOM for nothin'.

What kind of society do you want to live in? One where nobody trusts you?

dprogram

Pilgrim
Current Location
Riverdale Park, United States
Make a cigar box guitar...really unique and easy to play. I don't busk because my guitar just looks too damn nice and I don't think it would fly either so I'm making a cigar box type and taking it to the streets. Blues is hella simple and in Memphis it's popular. Plus you can make any well known song into a blues song especially some punk stuff.

FLoP

Lurker
find a smaller shop. hit it at night. or find a banjo on craigslist and meet up with the guy to buy it. then take it from him. i do think that casually walking out after the right timing would be best. jst get your cardio up............. now do the chickens fight other chickens or do they fight people? and would you be doing a goatse with the chicken to get it in the store

JaimaJaima

Lurker
this thread really did a good job weedin out the honest from the dishonest.
i get it, not having money sucks. you see that pearly fine lacquered six string, some yuppie picking it up and using daddy's credit card to walk out with it, and it makes yer blood boil. it makes my skin crawl a bit.
but god damn isn't the point of StP for like minds (or similar minds) to come together and use their creative interests, share their passions with everyone? it's not to learn how to fucking steal something so trivial as an instrument so you can crank some tunes when you've nothing better to do for maybe a couple bones an hour.

like some of you suggested, just make your own. you're putting your skills to work and making something beautiful out of a few ratty pieces. your art will be much more respected that way.

acrata4ever

i had bought a metal body dobro with a credit card stupidly. i felt i deserved it. i rarely played it. i spent most the time polishing it and looking at it. i saw a guy on youtube made one with a box and a coffee can that sounded great. i also found out that the magnetic pickup in the thing really didnt pickup the dobro sound and that its not the metal body that makes the sound its the aluminum cone inside that does. basically its a tin banjo with a cool non functional body that looks like 30s radio speakers. my freind always wanted it. id let him play it out when i played harmonica because it made me look cooler on stage. i sold it to him for what i payed for it. he doesnt run his air conditioner all the chrome has since rusted. make your own they get better and better as you go. the guitars i make dont even have the frets in the right places theyre set on the "blue notes" and i set my bridge high. you can do all kinds of custom to fit your need making your own. stone age man stuck a bow in his/her mouth and went BOING! you can too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkWMC2zS1fU

OP
E

Earth

I deleted myself
Man, there's some real good valid points being made here from every angle.

I can sympathize with the down and out individual having a fit because he or she is eating dirt while the trust fund pretend squarter punk buys everything on mom and dads card.

But, on the other hand - I can also see where the reward is even greater when one works towards their goal, as opposed to sitting around and doing nothing...

I know I'm in the minority here as back around 1977 or so I made a decesion that some day I was going to own a recording studio, and 30 years later that dream came true. Thirty fuckin years of poking around, buying used equipment, doing repair work - not too mention having to pay for all this (meaning - gasp - work) and now I have what I consider to be one of the more solid studios around. TOTALLY ANALOG (meaning tape) TOO !!

Anyway - one of my neighbors friends walked in one night to check things out.

He was inspired enough (he was also maybe 18 years old) to get a shit job so he could get a shit pickup truck and a shit mower and start a very basic landscaping business - so he could get the money to build his own studio, which was going to be digital (which is fine, I'm from a different generation anyway...) and last I heard he was working towards that goal real well.

Uncle Mom is right. Fuck Stealing because that shit comes back to haunt ya.

Matt Pist somewhere along the line had a definition of what living could be, and he included everything under the sun from gutters to farms, old factories, tenements, and (gasp) even 'straight' homes.... AND THAT IT WAS ALL GOOD!!

I chose the latter because I don't want nobody telling me what to do

If I want to blast Killing Joke at 3.00am, I can do it - and get no complaints.
(choosing a wonky neighborhood helped in that dept)

Of course, there is always a trade off...
When I get laid off, I have to hustle.
Of course, I guess I could put this studio to work too,
but lately I see no reason too.
The scene is dead, the dream is dead.

****I was going somewhere with this - but Uncle Mom's (rightious) comment threw me for a loop****

I guess stealing is ok if it's from someone who doesn't deserve to have it in the first place.

But then again, there's something to be said for picking up a rake or a shovel or anything and offering one's services in exchange for cash or even goods...

I'd go out of my mind if I had nothing to do (meaning not working at least part time)
No, I wouldn't.............

Around twenty years ago, I had Chris Cush from the Mojo Guitar Shop (R.I.P.) in NYC build me a fretless bass.
It was going to be loosely based on a 62 fender jazz, but with a twist: Three pick-ups and telecaster controls...
Ebony unlined finger board, and a hipshot D tuner. Sunburst finish. Swamp Ash body....

Man, let me tell you - I worked a lot - and I mean A LOT of overtime to pay for that baby, but it's mine - and nobody can ever deny that...

Still play it too :)

Good Luck!!
Important thing here is we have another musician who'll do anything to play.

acrata4ever

take the rake and stick it through a box or coffee can and tie a string to it!:p
so why dont you have a your own label?

6bummin6it6

Current Location
Cincinnati, United States
wear a trench coat, put a pouch at the bottom of the trench coat for the body of the banjo, and a loop in your t-shirt for the head/neck (a bunjy chord will work for the top loop) walk out with your new toy

OP
L

LiveFreeDieFree

I deleted myself
No money, no nothing. Anybody got any good tips or advice for tryin to snag a banjo from a music store... and i dont have anyone to distract the sales rep. its a pretty big item, and musci stores arent very big, so im sure theyll see me come in.
Fly a sign. You can make enough to buy one. Thievery is not the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally out n about, heading to London, OH
Thanks to otch0z and Sam for kicking back and keeping is sane in the homestead, hope you had a wicked time!
If for some dumb reason you're in bemidji Minnesota, come see me perform at the hard times! Playing folky stuff with an old road dog
nastynaty wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
Please finish your hitch hiking story... Or just tell us youre alive!!
i've been a waterworld nomad so i don't have to walk.
Jax Katz wrote on Cornelius Vango's profile.
Greetings from a Florida forest dweller !
youtube channel

There's a Cadillac parked outside of my squat.... I should've changed the locks earlier..
Little Rock.....again.....

Members online