Staying safe?

Aurum

Reaction score
But seriously, If you don't feel safe, then bounce. Don't trust anybody, even if you feel you can trust someone, don't. That's not saying you can't be civil, but learn to sleep with your eyes open.
If you don't give them a chance to do you wrong, you'll be o.k.
Overall tho, if you treat everyone with respect, you will receive that courtesy in return.

Last edited:

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
Thank you for the realness. I feel like some people dont really tell exactly how it will be on the road sometimes.

Because its not easy to do so. some people have that look you know, the "im a target look" and some have that scary look that makes them stay safer than others. Some flash their fancy iphones in the wrong places and get robbed, some people dont even have fancy phones, so even if someone tries to rob them, they have nothing to loose.

Its difficult to put it simple. In my case, I try to look like im not rich as to be a target but not as threatening that nobody would pick me up while hitchhiking (a balance that is difficult to explain). I usually travel without money, or with so little that if someone wants it by force (knife or gun) I will gladly give it away with no tears. Also, I dont carry expensive and fancy gear or anything of the sort except my photo equipment, which although looks nice and I have feelings for it, It can be all replaced for a couple bucks (its all analog and from the 70's).

In simple words, the less you have to loose the safer you will feel. I could bring with me my canon 5d Mark II and all its prime lenses and make some amazing digital photos that I can edit on my laptop while traveling, but then I'll have to stick with the unconfortable feeling that im a target everytime I flash it out. Or that I might not be able to make pictures in the, ironically, most interesting places to do pictures. Or even worst, that feeling will keep me out of interesting places because of the fear of loosing my stuff. So as a general rule, I dont carry expensive fancy stuff, and as a plus, I stay super light as well.

On the being safe in towns, that's a difficult one. It all depends on your ability to hide properly if you feel that the city is very threatening. I would suggest that once you are entering town, look for a safe spot to hide your backpack (the less humans around the better, specially if its totally out of town), have a small pack or bag to keep the essentials and go to town with nothing to loose. There you can crash in the sidewalk if you want, without having to sleep with an eye open for your backpack. There are other tricks, but I'll let that to your imagination. Just think how big a city is and how impossible is to think that there are no hideouts were you can crawl/climb/sneak/break and enter/etc to sleep for the night. It is one of the most interesting games to play while traveling in my opinion, towns are boring, so instead of making selfies at monuments and shit I love to go around looking for the place to crash when its sleepy time.

But all in all, now that I read what I wrote, I have to say that its all about your attitude. Coming from a place were people will slice you for your old shoes, I have learned that your attitude plays a big role in being mugged. If you keep a straight posture and learn to fix your sight while walking in sketchy places, you will increase your chances of being safe. People who rob people are affraid as well, so they look for easy targets, they wouldnt go for someone who looks confident were it shouldnt, because that sounds like trouble, so they wait for the next shaky person who cant fix his sight anywhere else but the floor.

Good luck in staying safe!

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
Ohh, and by the way, except when your backpack is hidden away where only you know. Keep it always with you. Im being told all the time about my backpack-paranoia as I keep it always with me, even when hitchhiking, I prefer to have it with me than to put it in the trunk (you need to have very little stuff for that), but then I have never lost or had my backpack or any piece of gear stolen in many, many years of traveling. While people with a more relaxed attitude towards their packs forget how they lost it when calling me paranoid.

Its very easy to get used to safe places, were you can leave your pack in the park and go pee somewhere because there are no thieves there, but then you take a trip to my home country and you do that, guaranteed you get your stuff taken away in a matter of seconds (almost with every right in my opinion :p) so, better to keep always the same attitude no matter where you are.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini and Phoenix
D

Deleted member 15262

Hey Alex! First off...no matter how much you read, it all comes from personal experience. But.. to make you feel more comfortable, I'm a girl who traveled solo for a long time and slept in some crazy places, but never had any issues. There's been times when stray dogs have run up to me at night, and once a security guard kept hassleing me because I was sleeping too close to the food bank. Otherwise it's been pretty safe, like Warlo said scouting out a place to sleep can be an adventure itself. Just stick to wooded areas or find small businesses that close early/open late to sleep behind, those are always safe imo. you're at greater risk of someone shady actually sees you walking to your hide out, so find it early, move on, and go back at night. But respect others in the same area...in Savannah the forest was really thick and we were all cramped in a very small area.
As a first timer, stay out of the city, take the back roads..it's funner and safer. Anyway this is a very big topic and you can find some scattered info on the forums. Also, check out my YouTube channel (Hippie Gangster) I'm trying to pump out more hitchhiking advice and stuff for people like you with many questions. Feel free to message me any time

• Useful

alexxx

Reaction score
Ohh, and by the way, except when your backpack is hidden away where only you know. Keep it always with you. Im being told all the time about my backpack-paranoia as I keep it always with me, even when hitchhiking, I prefer to have it with me than to put it in the trunk (you need to have very little stuff for that), but then I have never lost or had my backpack or any piece of gear stolen in many, many years of traveling. While people with a more relaxed attitude towards their packs forget how they lost it when calling me paranoid.

Its very easy to get used to safe places, were you can leave your pack in the park and go pee somewhere because there are no thieves there, but then you take a trip to my home country and you do that, guaranteed you get your stuff taken away in a matter of seconds (almost with every right in my opinion :p) so, better to keep always the same attitude no matter where you are.
What places have you found safe/easy to hide your pack while you go somewhere?

Reactions: Mankini

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
What places have you found safe/easy to hide your pack while you go somewhere?

Well, there isn't any standard place in the world that shows up everywhere I go that I would use as a place to hidemy pack. It would be like this neck-hanging-pouches that are sold in airport shops that supposedly hide your valuables under your shirt, I wouldnt use one of those either, as that's the first thing thieves would look for on tourist looking people. Same shit if I would tell you where its most likely a good option to hide your pack.

Just be smart and you'll find your own secret backpack hiding spots. C'mon, you will be missing the fun out of it.

D

Deleted member 15262

When it comes to anything and everything.....over-analyzing is your worst enemy. You can't make plans on the road. It just doesn't work like that. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine really, take it slow. If anything use your hometown as a guide, since you probably know those streets well, look at places that you would maybe think is safe to sleep/stash shit to give you a general idea. Unless your bag is huge its easy to throw it in the bush and leave it for a while without anyone noticing it. But that's alreayd been talked about i think. ya, just trust in yourself, keep your eyes open, and protect that dog more than your shit

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
no, no, no. NO! disregard all of the above comments, alex. those individuals have no idea of what they are talking about.

here. getcha one of these at the thrift store usually for less than the price of a cup of coffee:
carries everything ya need, other than camping gear. safer than a wallet, too. the agency and sfod call them 'fast action gun' bags.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Be willing to walk real far to find a good sleeping spot. Try to get beyond the usual bum range. If you are just passing put for a night and moving on, forested parks, rivers ect through nice neigborhoods can work, not much drama there, since cops get called if anyone sees ya :p

On weekends, construction sites are pretty useful. Sometimes they work saturdays, but almost never sunday.

If all else fails, look for railroad tracks and follow. Sometimes this'll be the junkie superhighway because there is no where else to go, othertimes deserted because usually only train riders actually -want- to sleep by the tracks. Either way you'll probably find somewhere to tuck in.

Oh and if you are going to hide your pack, dont wrap it in a tarp. A tarp is shiny and stands out even if its green or brown and screams "there is something valueble under here". A shitty dark colored sheet or blanket is less visible and less tempting to get your hands on. Looks like trash.

• Useful
Reactions: Vulture and Mankini

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
Be willing to walk real far to find a good sleeping spot. Try to get beyond the usual bum range. If you are just passing put for a night and moving on, forested parks, rivers ect through nice neigborhoods can work, not much drama there, since cops get called if anyone sees ya :p

On weekends, construction sites are pretty useful. Sometimes they work saturdays, but almost never sunday.

If all else fails, look for railroad tracks and follow. Sometimes this'll be the junkie superhighway because there is no where else to go, othertimes deserted because usually only train riders actually -want- to sleep by the tracks. Either way you'll probably find somewhere to tuck in.

Oh and if you are going to hide your pack, dont wrap it in a tarp. A tarp is shiny and stands out even if its green or brown and screams "there is something valueble under here". A shitty dark colored sheet or blanket is less visible and less tempting to get your hands on. Looks like trash.

The tarp comment was awesome, I remember once putting my shit under one and when I got back to get it I realized couple meters before that it had become windy and I could hear the shit flapping.

your "looks like trash" gave me a fucking awesome idea. Just take a trash bag and make it look officially like trash :p

Reactions: Vulture and Mankini

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
no, no, no. NO! disregard all of the above comments, alex. those individuals have no idea of what they are talking about.

here. getcha one of these at the thrift store usually for less than the price of a cup of coffee:
carries everything ya need, other than camping gear. safer than a wallet, too. the agency and sfod call them 'fast action gun' bags.

View attachment 28962

I couldn't help but noticing that the product you are advertising has the same colours as your clothes in the profile pic, are you into some kind of green business?

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads