What are some unexpected issues with traveling with a dog? | Squat the Planet

What are some unexpected issues with traveling with a dog?

Possum

Reaction score
I've been around without an animal a fair bit, but I want to bring my dog on my next trip. I've already got her vaccine & license papers sorted out, I know to carry extra water and have her food all accounted for, know that I can't take her on public transport, etc. I'm just wondering if there's some common issues I might be overlooking. Thanks!

Here's my pretty little lady, in all her sleepy glory.

Edit: I guess I should say that I'm hitching.

Attachments

• IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    882.5 KB · Views: 334

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
The biggest issue is. You can't go in anywhere. And as you said transit.
Unless you do the stupid blown up "service animal" scam

We had a dog in Beale st in Memphis where dogs are not allowed.
Service tags and patches and vest and shit. Well the dumb dogs has to bark at anything that breaths and the cop straight up told us he knows that's bullshit that service dogs don't act like that. Almost sprayed the dog and everything.

If you do opt for the scam which you can search on this site..... Make sure you have a well mannered obieint dog.

Personally, I would leave the dog at home.

Shakou

Reaction score
Yep, seconding to avoid the service dog route. Most law enforcement in bigger cities are already aware of that scam, so don't even bother. Not worth getting fined over.

Traveling with dogs has it's ups and downs. For me the ups out weigh the downs with our dogs, but for me the biggest downs I'd say are be prepared to have everyone judge you. Even if you're dog is extremely healthy, and you're taking excellent care of his needs on the road and off, and the dog is happy as a clam, people will still scream "OMFG ANIMAL ABUSE!!!!"
You can't bring your dog into buisnesses with you, and if you tie them up outside, even if you're only inside for a minute, people will FLIP their shit. It could be a beautiful sunny day with a nice warm breeze, and your dog just quietly chillin' all content, and people will still have a fucking problem with it.

rails2rails

Reaction score
I've never travelled w/ a dog but I think some people(especially non-dog owners) are a bit weary if not intimidated because they don't know what the animal's capable of. Now that may sound great as far as dealing w/ some of the characters one encounters on the road, but it may be a detriment w/ John Q Public. I see it as a wall but again, I don't travel that way. To each their own.

D

Deleted member 2626

Mannn same freakin too often. your dog isn't a road dog. You probably shouldn't take him. They really need to be born into this kinda of lifestyle and all that deals with living outside or sleeping outside. And read your post, what are some unexpected issues with traveling with a dog? unexpected can't be verified for you and tit fed how to deal. It will be what it is. when it happens. As to service tags- I've been across the country and back on greyhound and amtrak with mine and had no real issues. REALLY depends on the animal and their behavior and obediency and their master especially.

Ilikepie

Reaction score
The biggest issue is. You can't go in anywhere. And as you said transit.
Unless you do the stupid blown up "service animal" scam

We had a dog in Beale st in Memphis where dogs are not allowed.
Service tags and patches and vest and shit. Well the dumb dogs has to bark at anything that breaths and the cop straight up told us he knows that's bullshit that service dogs don't act like that. Almost sprayed the dog and everything.

If you do opt for the scam which you can search on this site..... Make sure you have a well mannered obieint dog.

Personally, I would leave the dog at home.

If he gets one of those animal therapy licenses that says the dog is certified to help him with a disorder (like PTSD, anxiety, or depression) he can take the dog into any store, or restaurant he wants. To get one of those its as simple as seeing a therapist. And its MUCH better than pretending you have a service animal, cops really won't be able to do shit if your dog barks.

Shakou

Reaction score
cops really won't be able to do shit if your dog barks.

Actually, they can. A business owner by law has the right to kick you out of their facility if your service dog is being disruptive or causing problems, regardless if the animal is genuinely certified or not. I've seen it happen.

D

Deleted member 2626

thats true. had a greyhound driver threaten me with that after trying to get my "confirmation" number for my dog. said he'd kick us off if their were any problems. turned out to be a not so bad dude. just took his job seriously which some drivers do. NO SMOKING. this one guy who I'd seen on a few different connections went into the bathroom. smoke smell within seconds. Bus driver says" hey crack head" guy comes out like he didn't even realize fuckin idiot. kicked off at like 1 am in the morning in the middle of like 70 eastbound in iowa. hwy patrol had pick him up later walking.

Shakou

Reaction score
lol, yeah, a lot of times bus drivers who know about the service dog scam will try to trick you into proving your dog isn't an actual service dog. There is no "confirmation number" with service dogs, LOL XD

Reactions: melanie
J

Johnny P

I've never had the service dog thing not work, but my dog is awesome and extremely well behaved and listens well...
He has also been traveling his whole life...comparatively more than most folks on this site.

Dameon

Reaction score
Yeah, never had problems with the service dog thing, but I've been training my dog to service dog standards since she was a pup. Therapy dogs no longer qualify as service dogs.

Also only had a few people say anything about my dog waiting outside a store for me. A more prevalent issue is people stealing dogs tied up outside. My dog guards my pack, and won't let anybody steal her or my pack. I've often come back to find her with a bag of dog food, treats, or even money that she'd gotten while I was inside.

Some unexpected problems I'd bring up would be heat/cold. There's been times in the Summer where I couldn't hitch unless there was shade during the day, to keep her from overheating. Also, if your dog isn't used to 10+ mile walks, that could be hard on his paws if you wind up with a long walk.

Mostly, though, the problems are as you'd expect.

D

Deleted member 2626

Good thread heed what johnnyp and dameon say. Ditto for my mutt. I don't travel extensively but when I'm not traveling were busy on the move and outside. I've never had the service trick fail either. But don't use it unless I have to anymore. Typically motels to defeat bullshit dog fees and to get a room where dogs aren't allowed. They can be a pain but if your not like most yuppy dog owners it shouldn't matter much. Like dameon said watch for dog snatchers. Never had it but it worries me. I'm an not a fighter and don't enjoy violence but I'd do whatever I had to to someone trying to molest my pup!

J

Johnny P

Make sure you have tags for your dog...some towns won't allow your dog in the city limits without proof of registration and vaccinations. (Missoula, Montana)

I have lost a couple rides because the person stopped and didn't see the dog and didn't want a dog in the car. Oh well.
Dogs and Trains? Now that's a whole different thing. Best Train dogs were basically born on the railroad.

You'll get the "Awe, poor puppy" look a lot. I just make sure people can see that he's happy and well fed, which he his.

J

Johnny P

No my cur is unpapered. No tags either. Lost em long ago and just have been lazy getting em updated. I hate them anyway and usually end up just carrying them in my pocket when I do have them. Makes too much noise in a train yard.

Only place where anybody has mentioned it was Missoula, Roseville, Berkely, and Bend, Oregon.
Always just gotten a warning.

J

Johnny P

Going to Jail can be a huge pain in the ass. I've heard horror stories about kids having to pay outrageous fees to get there dog back, and some have outright lost there beloved animal. It's always on my mind when traveling through a place where I've heard of kids getting arrested. I've been extremely lucky both times I've been arrested. Having a legit, or legit appearing service animal tag helps, at least it helped me when I was arrested in New York couple years ago.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads