Starting Fresh in South Florida | Squat the Planet

Starting Fresh in South Florida

ATX

Reaction score
Heading in the direction of florida with a little bit of saved up money with every intention of buying a sailboat. Looking at docking up in ft myers or the keys to work on sailing and taking it from there. Right now it seems like I'll be able to afford something older around the 24-27ft range. If anyone wants to come by and try to tackle the challenges or even better if you know how to sail, should be around by january.

May have another friend who is able and wants to buy a similar boat as well, not entirely sure yet but seems likely. All I know at first rate I'm hitching south, it's fucking cold in Canada right now haha.

D

Deleted member 125

have you ever sailed before? the fort meyers and more so keys arnt exactly the most friendly place if you dont have money to spend. both are HUGE tourist destinations, which means agressive police harassment if you look like you dont belong and arnt spending money. i grew up in south florida and have been to both ft meyers and the keys quite a bit and florida is a shit hole man. you said yer hitching, ide say yer gonna have a bit of a problem as soon as you want to go south around jacksonville or so, because florida state hitchhiking laws are basically a big grey area, some cops wont bat an eye, some will, that being said expect mroe hassle the more south you get. but if you do manage to get to the miami area theres a bus that leaves florida city that'll take you to key west for like 3 bucks. its pretty much yer best bet since like i said the state laws are kinda not clear, but county laws are pretty straight forward. and in monroe county its illegal. key west is in monroe county.

Renegade

Reaction score
South florida is where i grew up.. florida is not the utopia people make it out to be.. i just know of better places to start fresh .; maybe you should reconsider..not telling u what to do tho brother., just a suggestion.

ATX

Reaction score
I've been on the road awhile, and to florida a few times. I meant starting fresh as in starting fresh out sailing. Temperatures right and boats are cheap an abundance down there. I got an EDEL 665, who wants to sail?

crow

Reaction score
done it in the keys. hurricane sunk our boat while we was ashore.
good times tho. i know some ppl in key largo so HMU
might be able to help with some local info.

in the keys, broke ppl arent very well recieved nah but locals are and they usually stone broke.

florida state hitchhiking laws are basically a big grey area,
it is legal in fl to hitchhike at an onramp. anywhere else will get you stopped. theres a hitchi pdf in the library here with all the info.

also shrooms are legal in fl so long as theyre loose in pocket..not 'prepared for further use' ;)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads