Starting again.

tnpicker

Reaction score
I lived on the road for years as a young man in the early seventies, when it was a far different world and I was a much younger man. At that time I used my thumb, walked, or rode 'dirty face' ( by rail) but now I find myself in my sixties and have a van and a motorcycle. I have to say I'm both excited and apprehensive as I prepare. Eliminating all this junk I have collected when I became a root dweller to raise my daughters is both a wonderful and emancipating experience while at the same time foreboding because we as humans attach sentimental attachments to objects, when we know deep inside it's not the object that owns out attachment, it's the experience we associate with the object.... So, I'll keep the memory and discard the object. After all isn't life a lesson in learning to let go? So onward through the pile of what can sell and what is trash I go. Next is building the van into a suitable camper, then eventually in the near future I'll embark in my next chapter, a journey of both physical and mental enlightenment, exploration and a long needed sigh of relief. I discovered living (now) on disability isn't sustainable in a house and life is too short to spend all of my resources solely for the purpose of having a roof over my head and viewing the same scenery day after day.... If I see you along the way, I'll share a wave and perhaps a cup of coffee. Stay safe and enjoy this ride we call life!

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I lived on the road for years as a young man in the early seventies, when it was a far different world and I was a much younger man. At that time I used my thumb, walked, or rode 'dirty face' ( by rail) but now I find myself in my sixties and have a van and a motorcycle. I have to say I'm both excited and apprehensive as I prepare. Eliminating all this junk I have collected when I became a root dweller to raise my daughters is both a wonderful and emancipating experience while at the same time foreboding because we as humans attach sentimental attachments to objects, when we know deep inside it's not the object that owns out attachment, it's the experience we associate with the object.... So, I'll keep the memory and discard the object. After all isn't life a lesson in learning to let go? So onward through the pile of what can sell and what is trash I go. Next is building the van into a suitable camper, then eventually in the near future I'll embark in my next chapter, a journey of both physical and mental enlightenment, exploration and a long needed sigh of relief. I discovered living (now) on disability isn't sustainable in a house and life is too short to spend all of my resources solely for the purpose of having a roof over my head and viewing the same scenery day after day.... If I see you along the way, I'll share a wave and perhaps a cup of coffee. Stay safe and enjoy this ride we call life!
Jerry,

I'm a bit younger than you, but 62 is looking younger all the time!

I can totally relate to the sentimental attachment to stuff, but part of my problem is that I tend to hoard as well. Case in point, I have my father's fiberglass over cherry canoe hanging in my garage waiting for someday when I get get the time and fortitude to repair the gunwales and partially restore it. In the end, yes, it is an object, but the memories it holds are things that cannot be taken away from me. It's also about the last thing of my dad's that I have around that really means anything to me so I will try to hang on to it for as long as I can, hoping that someday comes by and it goes back in the water again to make more memories for me and my family.

If you ever make it up to the southern tier of New York on I86 west of Binghamton, drop me a line. I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP - and good luck on your next chapter! :)

Reactions: tnpicker

tnpicker

Reaction score
Jerry,

I'm a bit younger than you, but 62 is looking younger all the time!

I can totally relate to the sentimental attachment to stuff, but part of my problem is that I tend to hoard as well. Case in point, I have my father's fiberglass over cherry canoe hanging in my garage waiting for someday when I get get the time and fortitude to repair the gunwales and partially restore it. In the end, yes, it is an object, but the memories it holds are things that cannot be taken away from me. It's also about the last thing of my dad's that I have around that really means anything to me so I will try to hang on to it for as long as I can, hoping that someday comes by and it goes back in the water again to make more memories for me and my family.

If you ever make it up to the southern tier of New York on I86 west of Binghamton, drop me a line. I'll buy you a cup of coffee!
Welcome to STP - and good luck on your next chapter! :)

tnpicker

Reaction score
Thanks my friend, I also have a canoe, I'm thinking I'll be bringing it along.... Just something I love to do, like my motorcycle but I doubt I'll trailer it. One never knows though, I do have a trailer.... I'd love to share a coffee with you, and I love the state of New York , thanks for the offer!

Reactions: Testicool

tnpicker

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You may want to check out cheaprvliving.com, plenty of old timer rubber trampers lounge in those forums also.
Thanks, I've looked through those sites as well, when I lived on the road in the early 70's we had only word of mouth. There were a lot of people traveling the country from concert to concert and commune to commune so seeing people on different ends of the country was a normal event. Now we have the internet and you can be assured I take full advantage of it, I have a ways to go before I actually hit the road, but hit the road I will and I'm looking forward to it..... Again Thanks my friend and happy safe travels.

Reactions: Testicool

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Wherever you are headed, keep your head high. I'de be happy to meet you on the roads and have a talk, my wanderlust is crazy and to talk to someone that did it back in the 70's would be like meeting a celebrity.

Reactions: tnpicker

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads