Stamps and background check in Oregon? (1 Viewer)

Maxnomad

Current Location
San Luis Obispo
Anybody know if applying for food stamps in pdx can get you in trouble if you have a bench warrant?

Asking for some other scumbag. . .

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Prometheus

Current Location
West Coast
It honestly depends on what the warrant is for and where in Oregon it is issued, but if it's a Multnomah warrant they're going to have to inform local law about an attempt to register for food stamps. I've gotten stamps in PDX with a bench warrant in Ashland though.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
Stamps are fucked in oregon right now. Its either you work, participate in a program, or lose your stamps after 3 months for 3 years.

Fuck Trump and his bullshit.

Being homeless use to qualify you for an exception to that rule. Not anymore.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Jax
Stamps are fucked in oregon right now. Its either you work, participate in a program, or lose your stamps after 3 months for 3 years.
Orange-y has definitely made every effort to tighten the feedbag for poor folks, however...
The limits you mentioned were actually triggered by a bill authored by Republicans and signed by Clinton in 1996.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act

States have been allowed to waive the restrictions where there is high unemployment, which is why some OR counties didn't see a change until 2016.

Either way...sucks ass.

benton

Pilgrim
Current Location
Little Rock, United States

Fuck Trump and his bullshit.

Being homeless use to qualify you for an exception to that rule. Not anymore.
From what I understand, the 3 months in 3 years thing is related to the unemployment rate of the area. Because of the financial collapse in 2008, many areas of the US had unemployment rates that were high enough for basically anyone with no income to get foot stamps. I think the 3 months 3 years thing is federal and predates Trump but I don't know for sure. For all I know it might have been his idea.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
From what I understand, the 3 months in 3 years thing is related to the unemployment rate of the area. Because of the financial collapse in 2008, many areas of the US had unemployment rates that were high enough for basically anyone with no income to get foot stamps. I think the 3 months 3 years thing is federal and predates Trump but I don't know for sure. For all I know it might have been his idea.
Yes, it does have to do with unemployment, however, they changed the exception so that the exception is for MUCH higher rates of unemployment, like 10%. So basically no countries in Oregon qualify for it anymore.

Dameon

Vagabond
Current Location
Northern California
Pro tip: When you're filling out your application for food stamps, there's a box that says "I am unable to work" or something similar. Check that box. Then you're no longer expected to jump through all the bullshit hoops. The limitations on how long you can get them and being expected to do work programs don't apply if you're not capable of working a normal job. In the past, I've never had anybody ask me why I'm not capable of working, but your case worker may ask (especially if you're applying in a small town), so be prepared with an answer.

Dameon

Vagabond
Current Location
Northern California
Also, generally only felony warrants bar you from receiving food stamps. But I don't think that health and human services will generally do a national criminal background check on every food stamp applicant; their job isn't to catch criminals. If your warrant isn't for the county you're applying in, you're almost certainly good. They're not very likely to bother calling the cops even if you do get denied. Obviously, if you've murdered somebody or whatnot, this doesn't apply.

Current Location
Bend,Or
Yes coywolf. My friend just said he his arm is still healing from a recent break and they turned his back on.
I'm thinking of going to Oakland area later in year for foodies. Friend says you just need any states Id. Idk I'll try .
Or see how to get into mental health stuff and goto tell DHS I'm mentally unstable

hermitdan69

Lurker
Current Location
US
I've been getting food stamps all winter. But I'm over the age of 50, if you are under, you are limited to 3 months of stamps per 3 years. Trump is trying to raise that age limit to 65, but hasn't yet.
When I applied in October, I mentioned to the case worker that I had just been diagnosed with cancer and had several surgeries to deal with. Her husband had the same type as me, so she was sympathetic and started the benefits right away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?
Supposed Mocha wrote on Chimpsarereal's profile.
Oh youre already in MI! I feel dense now, I'm in GR myself and could meet around here or West MI