Suggestion Staff appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
@Staff

This has been long overdue, and I have no idea if this has been posted before, so bear with me.

The people that have been associated with StP have fluctuated over the years, but they have always been there.

We have seen staff love us, disagree with us, call bullshit when they see it, and swing the ban hammer.

My point is. We have people here that care about our community. Every God damned Anarchist, crust punk, homebum, vandweller, train rider, LBGTQ activist, and every other damn person under the sun.

As much as I know we have our disagreements with the staff on our own personal issues, I ask that we can come together to realize that we have a space where that is fucking possible, StP.

Satan damn it, thank you. Thank you StP, for allowing this houseless/homeless community to have it's own personal space on the internets!!!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
New Orleans
Aww shucks. Thanks @Coywolf I can't speak for everyone on staff but this made me smile so god dang much. Hope to see you at the jambo in NOLA if you can make it.

<3

Current Location
Tucson
THIS!

IS

LONG

OVER

DUE... Coywolf you got a hell of a point !

Thank you , Matt. I found this site at a low point in my life. It's helped me grow as a human. (Even Bums grow up a little bit) It has also given me tools for survival, entertainment beyond measure and without spoon feeding me. I had to look around and try some shit on my own, my uv5r is hand programed on 99 R×R channels 😂. I also say sorry from the bottom of my heart too. The Internet and people's minds are a shirt show at best. I've been an ass hat online before. (not here ) I only imagine the shit you have had to think about and deal with to keep the bus going... thank you... mods, you Crack me up, thanks for helping Matt and all of us.

MetalBryan

Pilgrim
Current Location
Washington, DC
I saw this post Monday but was having trouble putting my finger on a single benefit I get from this site, so I spent yesterday thinking on it and here it is.

I value this site because being homeless again is terrifying. In 2007, I had it pretty good the three years I lived in my van but life isn't the same these days. I got comfortable.

I found this site last summer. I don't remember if it came up in casual conversation or googling the rabbit hole. In some small way, I feel like sharing my experiences can be helpful to others. I also like the minutiae of adventuring topics this site covers. Both these opportunities give me a sense of a "plan" and that I can (slowly) accept this plan can be vague and full of excitement instead of dread.

I appreciate that @Matt Derrick is involved enough that I feel like the owner is tending bar.
Thanks to all staff who work on the internet stuff.
Thanks to all mods for tactfully managing the trolls.
Thanks to everyone who proofreads and correlates the information.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
I post info about STP to many people - mostly for people looking for information - equipment, places nationwide as well as around the world as we have it. I send people here for all sorts of information - why? because we have it. This site has such a wealth of information as well as the gems of urban exploration and unique places to go --- plus some very cool things people have come across. And the travel stories!!!! Some great stuff here - I will continue sending people who want to know - here to STP.

Groundscore

Current Location
Southern Arizona
The staff here clearly does a TON of work, puts in more time than most would ever want to, deals with the complaints, and rarely ever get a "thank you." And Matt has to be a great guy to not only create this site, and to deal with way more crap than he should have to, and to have the determination to keep at it all these years, even with the countless complaints and people he has to ban.

We need more kind words and appreciation in this world; as there are way too many people who are quick to complain and/or make rude comments, rather than to take the time and energy to help others out and actually make a difference. For many, it's easier to make a snappy comment versus a helpful one. We need to realize that despite our differences on some things, most here have a lot in common. And we're all human beings. And when you see a post asking for help, if you have something positive to offer, post it, just like the staff (and quite a few regular posters) here do. That's how any community learns.

This site is a great tool, everyone needs to take care of it, and the staff certainly deserves a pat on the back for keeping it up and running so well.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
aww, i missed this thread till now (i got a lot going on IRL) but thank you all for the props, that really does mean a lot to have even just a little recognition, thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.
Still....in Jax if any kids about
Stuck on paper in idaho, missing the woods and my DK fam
I've made some layout adjustments to featured content threads. They should look much prettier on mobile devices, although I'm still working on how the main featured page displays on those devices...
Due to a software bug, I've had to disable the ability for users to delete their accounts until a fix is released (hopefully no more than a few days).
You ever look back and kind of wonder even if you wanted to try to fix things... How you even begin to apologise for Fucking up someone's life??

Members online