Question Squatting/traveling tips for Europe.

camopuddle

Reaction score
Hey there, Michael here.
I'm looking for any and all advice, connections and recommendations for hitch hiking through Europe. I'm planning a trip in mid March next year starting in Berlin. Not really sure my direction yet but will probably head west through France to Spain. May also go south to Italy or even fly to the UK. It's really up in the air but I am going to base my travel around squatting, hitching, busking, public transport via bus and train.
Thank you in advance any and all advice.
Cheers.

--MC--

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
duuuuude nice to see you on here! im super stoked for you to be taking that trip, i've been wanting to visit germany (and other places in europe) for years. have you looked into wagenplatz'? they're like squatter RV parks from what I understand. I might have some info on them I can dig up if you're interested.

keep in touch, and if you have some time please post some stories/pics about how your travels went!

Stoerenfred

Reaction score
he michael as far as i have heared spain is a pain in the ass to hitchhike but france is amazing i have been hitchhiking there by my selve but do not try on the highway they are payed so people are greedy and fucked up stick to the secondary (highway/regional speedway) the "route national" there you´ll get a ride within few minutes, and yeah in germany try to stick to wagenplatz it means (trailerpark) with caravan wagons there are squatters and anarchists living mostly and there are housing projekts in most bigger citys i can recomend danmark and norway in norway there is oslo and trondheim where i made very good experiance and the locals always told me about danmark so good chance to find shelter and restingplaces there hitchhiking in danmark is good but norway is not but it´s still better than sweden witch sucks in germany i can recomend to stick to the official highways and try to hop from highwaygasstations to highwasgasstations and truck restingplaces there you can cross the country within a day if you are lucky my record is 1000 km in 12 hours witch is better than the fucking high velocity train here and the railway company in germany sucks its not even a bad joke it is worse, hope i could help
greetings FRed

Reactions: camopuddle and Dmac

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I would say that hitchwiki is probably going to be your best resource for hitchhiking in Europe, and a ton of useful info can be gleaned from their signal channel if you want the link let me know.

Reactions: camopuddle

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive been meaning to make it out across the pond. Sadly It might be a year or two before I can make it. One of the things that made me want to check it out was vagrant holidays on youtube. His comedic diatribe is rather acerbic for my tastes but his first three videos are all long European trips. Mostly riding around on buses and sleeping in bushes or abandoned buildings. Might have a look at them. If only for there entertainment value.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Ah I've always wanted to do a backpacking trip in Europe, but since injuring my legs it seems like more work than anything to hitch around again

Good luck

Voidcreep

Reaction score
Hey there, Michael here.
I'm looking for any and all advice, connections and recommendations for hitch hiking through Europe. I'm planning a trip in mid March next year starting in Berlin. Not really sure my direction yet but will probably head west through France to Spain. May also go south to Italy or even fly to the UK. It's really up in the air but I am going to base my travel around squatting, hitching, busking, public transport via bus and train.
Thank you in advance any and all advice.
Cheers.

--MC--

As many others have said hitch wiki is great advice. One think I can say is even though their a lot more connected through the EU. Different countries can be well different. Obviously you probably know cultures can be different. But laws are a big one. I had some friends who traveled in the EU. Of course their first stop was Amsterdam. Where they got loaded up on drugs then they drove to another European country a few days later "I can't recall which" and they almost got in a shit ton of trouble because of what they had left on them. Which they said they enjoyed Amsterdam a lot. Also have heard really good things about finland and Ireland if you head to those places. Hellsinkis got a pretty badass metal scene.

camopuddle

Reaction score
duuuuude nice to see you on here! im super stoked for you to be taking that trip, i've been wanting to visit germany (and other places in europe) for years. have you looked into wagenplatz'? they're like squatter RV parks from what I understand. I might have some info on them I can dig up if you're interested.

keep in touch, and if you have some time please post some stories/pics about how your travels went!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, Life has been crazy. Yeah any and all info you have would be much appreciated!

Reem

Reaction score
he michael as far as i have heared spain is a pain in the ass to hitchhike but france is amazing i have been hitchhiking there by my selve but do not try on the highway they are payed so people are greedy and fucked up stick to the secondary (highway/regional speedway) the "route national" there you´ll get a ride within few minutes, and yeah in germany try to stick to wagenplatz it means (trailerpark) with caravan wagons there are squatters and anarchists living mostly and there are housing projekts in most bigger citys i can recomend danmark and norway in norway there is oslo and trondheim where i made very good experiance and the locals always told me about danmark so good chance to find shelter and restingplaces there hitchhiking in danmark is good but norway is not but it´s still better than sweden witch sucks in germany i can recomend to stick to the official highways and try to hop from highwaygasstations to highwasgasstations and truck restingplaces there you can cross the country within a day if you are lucky my record is 1000 km in 12 hours witch is better than the fucking high velocity train here and the railway company in germany sucks its not even a bad joke it is worse, hope i could help
greetings FRed

Hey, do you know where I can stay in copenhagen and oslo?

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I’ve hitched through nearly every country west of the iron curtain. Anecdotally, Ireland and Germany are the easiest. Spain deserves its reputation as being the worst country in Europe for hitchhiking; the best you can do is stay on a tourist route and pray some Germans come along. But overall it’s my favorite country. Happily, long-distance buses there are very affordable.
I stealth camp everywhere I go, it’s easy in Europe. But I’m not fool enough to do it in or near cities so no advice there.

japanarchist

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads