Squatting embassies?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's tried it in the states, but has anyone anywhere tried this? I'd imagine that as it is federal property of another country, it cannot be legally squatted, and it being a building of some importance to another country, squatting it could be construed as an international incident...

Just so you know, I am wondering about this, but I don't plan on trying this at all.

wartomods

Reaction score
well yes, but i think it is impossible to squat a proper in function embassy, it could be possible i dont know, but i think if an embassy building gets abandoned it isnt anymore other country land

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, yes... I meant an abandoned embassy... I didn't mention anything about phrogging...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
it sounds like a bad idea to me. any good squatter wants to stay well below the radar of anyone. why even consider an embassy when there are literally 100's of squattable places in most cities or towns.

Because it is ridiculously posh and carries a lot of boasting rights.

I

IBRRHOBO

Simply because the question intrigues me, I contacted an old buddy still in the Beltway. He told me both the host nation and the nation which abandonded the embassy are well within their legal rights to shoot to kill. With that said, he did say that being that many third world countries are born and die yearly due to coups, an embassy with no country shifts under UN mandate. In theory, one could expatriate from one's own country and declare sovereignty through the Hague.

Call me if you need a Secretary of State or Commissioner of Railroads!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Haha, well I told my friend about what you'd written and I was told: "Damn, I don't want to get shot..." so I don't think it's happening now. Oh well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads