Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Django

Reaction score
Some city councils have in their website a list of buildings to be upgraded or whatever, and since these project often take years, you could probably find these buildings suitable for squatting.
Be aware of the risk of being evacuated.
That's happened to me in Australia (I was a guest in the squat, not a permenet resdidant).
Good luck and be safe

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Has anyone recently been to any cool squats/communes/Communities in Europe or maybe you're there right now? Looking for something.

Have been in some cool squats in Bristol, Manchester and London. But I'm in Germany for a few months now, so I can't say where exactly to look for at the moment. No squats around here where I am right now.

Perhaps others can help?

Reactions: Marc ebach67

jimi

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this! I'm visiting in December and want to hit as many cool spots and make as many friends as I can.

Reactions: mazapunx

stickyrice

Reaction score
Has anyone recently been to any cool squats/communes/Communities in Europe or maybe you're there right now? Looking for something. Not sure what yet. Just not Beneficio please :)

Groeningen in Holland has a cool community of squatters ! I was hosted in a new one and I found my host through Couchsurfing. Now this squat doesn't exist anymore but for sure there is something new :)

Django

Reaction score
I wanted to ask the same question! Anyone know any in Paris? I will check the libka out too.
Excuse me for maybe being an asshole, I swear it comes from good intentions

Are you actually expecting to find ilegal/semi legal squats over the internet? I know we all replied here and I was actually surprised to see that it is so "published" but it makes a lot more sense to walk the streets, find the punks or who ever hobos you can talk to reasonably, and find whatever.

The nature of these places is not to be published so every asshole could just Google their place. This is fucking dub culture, under the radar, if you can Google it, it probably doesn't worth it.

That's my opinion at least. I now found Pretty easily squats in Vancouver, without know anybody there. Just introduced myself in REAL LIFE, and the magic goes.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Are you actually expecting to find ilegal/semi legal squats over the internet?
[,,,]
The nature of these places is not to be published so every asshole could just Google their place.

You are right, partly. It depends. Of course I would never write something like

Oh, yeah, I know a nice squat in 1701 John Doe Street in Springfield. It's quite hidden but you can knock on the fire exit 3 times and then 4 times and they will let you in perhaps.

on a public forum in response to a request posted by someone I don't know. ;)

On the other hand there are squats newspapers already have published articles about, so they are quite known to people and authorities already. So I would say it is okay to mention those.

But yes, talking to people in real life and so on is the best way, I agree.

D

Deleted member 19606

If you're looking for squat communities you have to realize that they are people's homes, not just abandoned buildings. Don't just show up at the door and expect to be let in. All my squatting experiences in Europe we're because I met people on the street that became my friends before they would bring me and my partner home. Lots of illegal activities happen in squat communities and they won't let just anyone in. They have to trust you. In the words of my squatter friend in the NL, "We are not a homeless shelter". Go to punk, metal, or techno shows/parties and try to meet people there would be my best reccomendation.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
If you're looking for squat communities you have to realize that they are people's homes, not just abandoned buildings. Don't just show up at the door and expect to be let in. All my squatting experiences in Europe we're because I met people on the street that became my friends before they would bring me and my partner home. Lots of illegal activities happen in squat communities and they won't let just anyone in. They have to trust you.

True.

Also, the other way around. I would not go into a squat if I would not know and trust at least some of the people living there.

LizzieBeth73

Reaction score
Excuse me for maybe being an asshole, I swear it comes from good intentions

Are you actually expecting to find ilegal/semi legal squats over the internet? I know we all replied here and I was actually surprised to see that it is so "published" but it makes a lot more sense to walk the streets, find the punks or who ever hobos you can talk to reasonably, and find whatever.

The nature of these places is not to be published so every asshole could just Google their place. This is fucking dub culture, under the radar, if you can Google it, it probably doesn't worth it.

That's my opinion at least. I now found Pretty easily squats in Vancouver, without know anybody there. Just introduced myself in REAL LIFE, and the magic goes.

Thank you. It makes sense. Will wait til Spring before venturing on this quest. Had itchy feet all year from being in same place.

Reactions: Django

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads