Spices on the road (1 Viewer)

wombatt

Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I always keep some of those Taco Bell things and some of those little packets of maple syrup. Also if you mix Taco Bell sauce or siracha with peanut butter you can make a damn fine spicy peanut pad Thai kinda sauce for your ramen.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Jram

Lurker
Current Location
Spicewood, TX
*Turmeric (usually powder, since raw form is hard to find; very versatile can be used w/ beans, eggs, fish, hamburger, etc., one of the healthiest natural substances on the planet)
*Ginger (raw form is readily available in many grocery stores, but I also carry powder for when I'm out of raw)
*Ceylon Cinnamon (I put this & Ginger in my oatmeal)
*Garlic (I try to eat a couple cloves raw w/ peanut butter 2-3x's a week to stay healthy, I also carry garlic powder)
*Himalayan pink salt (I got it for cheap at Winco in Washington state, under $3/lb)
*Black pepper
*Cayenne pepper

Last edited:

Tony Pro

Rambler
Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Good question. I tend to get pretty elaborate with spices (though my travel buddies tell me it doesn't help my cooking).
I'm a shameless sachet horder. I don't know if you find it in more states than just Maine, but the Circle K gas station chain we have here has a staggering array of sauces; everything from diced jalapenos to creamy horseradish, and of course those little Tabasco sachets. buy a hotdog for $1.19 and you can stuff your pockets with a month's worth of sauces.
beyond that, I do a lot of hobo bread so I carry cinnamon and ginger to make my dutch oven smell like my mother's kitchen.
I'm not much of a forager but I'm pretty good at sniffing out alliums where they grow wild. Where they don't, I always carry a bulb of garlic. And there's often a packet of curry powder squirreled away somewhere in my pack, usually siphoned from the free food shelf in a hostel kitchen.

Jet Jaguar

Lurker
Current Location
Toronto
When I'm out Salt is a must, regardless of length of the journey. If I'm on a shorter outing I don't mind loading up with specific things for specific meals. But when I'm out for longer than say two, three weeks. I tend to just bring less other spices and more salt. But what I love bringing with me on longer journeys is an awesome ?Chinese? "extra hot" chilli sauce that is goat on freshwater fish. It's made by a company named Yeo's but I've never seen it anywhere other than a few Chinese markets in my home city.

Actually reading the label on one I have here says it's manufactured in Malaysia for a company in Singapore, so I guess it gets around!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
You know...you're gone for a bit, you have some adventures, you come back, and StP is on fucking fire!...Jesus, people, y'all sank the Jamboree?
And our breathe will carry us forward when we don't have the strength to carry ourselves
Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?

Members online