Spanging is bad?

Current Location
Asheville NC
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
So i just saw a couple posts talking about how spanging shouldnt be done unless its a last resort. Personally i hate spanging, but its almost a go-to for me in new cities.

So do you spange sometimes? Never? Only to gas jug? And whats your standard method on the road if you dont?

mono

Lurker
StP Supporter
Current Location
World 2-1, Mushroom Kingdom
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
there are arguments both ways for this - on one hand, if you believe that there's a finite amount of "stuff" that people are willing to give out and that someone more needy than you might get it a little later, then yeah, it's definitely bad.

on the other hand, if you don't ask you (usually) don't get. if someone is willing to hand over money, that's up to them - you could even reasonably argue that you're trading it for making them feel altruistic. at the end of the day this is one of those "if you want to, do it" type situations.

i haven't personally spanged so much as i've asked for very specific items - toothbrush, toothpaste, water bottle/jug - at least that way people can rest easy knowing they're giving you something practical instead of drug money

Last edited:
Current Location
Vero Beach, FL
Website
www.instagram.com
Reactions
98% 0% 1%
personally, i think spanging as anything but a last resort, for just enough to get by, is fucked unless you're unable to work.
the people who kick down are usually poor, working shit jobs. it's not fair to ride off the people who are out there working just because "work is dumb/i don't wanna"
there is plenty of work to be done and money to be made out there. working and saving up is the way to go. if you're able bodied flying a sign that says you're looking to work outside of a hardware store could help u find something at least for the day. craigslist is another option.
and most people kicking down don't know that most travelers are out there by choice. they think we're destitute and that's why the empathize with us, they know struggle. lots of people kick down specifically because they or a loved one were homeless by circumstance.

if nothing else, fly a 25 cent joke sign or do some type of street performance. providing a service at least means you're earning it and giving back to those who are giving to you.

Matt Derrick

StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
like others have said, i think it mostly comes down to your intentions. do you need money for food? or booze? i'm not gonna knock on anyone that spanges for booze if you've had a rough day and you just want to relax a bit. life on the road is hard, and sometimes just one can of beer can really turn around a shitty day.

that said, the ethics become a grey area when you start to depend on spanging in order to support your lifestyle. unfortunately, the current state of the traveling community is that about 70% or more have no intention of working to support their travels and instead just depend on others to give them money under the assumption they are destitute and have no other option. honestly, it's a serious problem in the traveler community as a whole since most put very little thought into where that money comes from.

i'm just as guilty of this as anyone else; at least in my earlier/younger days of traveling. i just didn't give it as much thought as i should have. once you get a certain amount of experience on the road though, i think anyone with half a brain has to consider their impact on society and their fellow person or just ignore it completely. unfortunately many choose the latter.

the reason this is becoming a big issue in this community (in my opinion) is because it's starting to negatively impact the way other see our culture. and i can hardly blame them; there *is* a lot of scumfucks out there blowing up spots all over the place. in new orleans alone it's becoming a big enough issue that the local papers and even some neighborhood watch groups are starting to talk about it and some of which are pointing fingers at StP itself.

so anyways, i don't tell anyone to never spange, but rather do so while being conscious of what you're doing, where your money is coming from (mostly the poor working middle class) and while taking advantage of opportunities to work and save up for your next leg of travel. besides, if you really care about traveling with the maximum amount of freedom possible, why be dependent on the sympathy of others to get you through your day? i'd much rather work for 6 months, then take 6 off and be able to go wherever and do whatever i want.

Current Location
Cheyenne WY
Reactions
98% 1% 1%
There's is plenty of day labor in most major cities.Thats how I have gotten by traveling.I look at spanging as a last resort.Thats just my opinion though.

wISDOM

Professional butt double
StP Supporter
Current Location
Verde valley
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I agree with you guys. I've never spanged. In the past, I performed, worked odd jobs or saved before hand. I definitely feel like "the world owes me somthing" mentality is only fucking things up. Think about it. If you take advantage of peoples kindness, in the long run, they are gonna be more likely to tell folks to fuk themselves when they really need help and the system is only gonna make shit harder on travelers. I see this playing out in my own life. This kid came into my small town a few months ago and bummed some money from me at the bus stop. This stupid motherfucker has hit me up for cash at least five times since. I've said no, because I've seen him come out of the local dope house several times, on my way to work, plus, I aint your sugar mamma, u piece of shit, right? This turd has the audacity 2 days ago to flip me off at the store cause I wouldn't give him a smoke. I seriously flipped out on him in the middle of the parking lot and would of hurt him if he wouldn't have cowered away like a little bitch. Here I am, trying to bust ass so I can get on the road and this leach thinks I should do without and support his dope habbit. I don't mind kickin a few here and there, but these spoiled fukn kids are outta control. There parents should of beat them more.

Current Location
Marina, ca
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
I spanged for years, crack spanged, flew signs, gas jugged all travels until a few years back i started picking up working 2 week stints and plitting. Now i am BO'n around working odd jobs.
Getting older either you become a homebum lay about or you get some funds however you work, if your 40+ flying a sign then you will always fly that corner,....

Current Location
Northern California
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
As far as I'm concerned, everybody's ethics when it comes to spanging is up to them. As far as I'm concerned, I've always way preferred earning money in some way to asking for it, but I also accept that even a 100% physically healthy person may spend some time asking for donations while they're getting through a part of their life, and I don't look down on people for that. We should be able to lean on society through some times of our lives where we're going through shit, that's what a community is FOR, and we shouldn't be judged for doing it. Somebody who's asking for dollars one day may be the one giving out the dollars the next, and vice versa.

ToadStuff

Rambler
StP Supporter
Current Location
Marysville, Wa
Reactions
95% 2% 3%
I don' see why anyone here would seriously dis spanging. That's the easiest thing to do.
One day I was spanging in KC and got offered a gig to mow a lawn on a yard with a big ass hill. I took it, cuz I'd feel like a total dick sitting there with a sign across the street while other people work even though I knew I could make twice that in the same time. I enjoy work though. It feels good to give back and taking too often gets exhausting. Easiest isn't always best or even good.

When I fly a sign I see it as more of a crowdfunding type situation. just say on your sign youre traveling, broke and whatever. There is, often enough, people who would love to help with your situation and not think that you're a homebum who is in dire need.

I know spanging gets blown up in certain areas, but atleast we're not that fuckin dick who got like 50+ grand for making potato salad on kickstarter a few years back. What's sad is people paid that much just for a joke, so no I don't feel that bad when someone kicks me a few dollars to get across state. As long is you're being honest people know what they're paying for. They know theres easier ways to get money than to say you're traveling.

Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I don't think spanging is bad.

I did it all the time while traveling. Well, mostly, I was not flying a sign or asking people. I don't really like that plus it's illegal to beg where I was mostly (UK). So I made money playing harmonica. But to be true ... it was kinda spanging because I doubt that people dropped some money because of my beautiful tunes. ;) It was just good enough not to get caught by the cops for "begging with an instrument" ;)

I did not do that the whole day or alike, I made money "just in time". When I wanted a few quid for drinks or food or whatever I sat down, played and as soon as I had enough, I quit.

My principle was just to be honest and friendly to people. The rare occasions I flew a sign it was like "Allergic to water ... need Beer!" or alike on a Friday, Saturday night. Funny signs like that. Would never fly a sign "Homeless and Hungry, Please help!" ... Since I consider myself traveling and I never had to go to sleep hungry. Just be honest!

For me, begging is totally fine. As long as it's honest and kinda restrained (not harassing people).

Current Location
Galesburg IL
Reactions
48% 0% 52%
Think abusing it will hurt you in the long run... I'm getting old an just get work, my sign asks for work. But making easy money is what it is. Hard to resist. When all you do is wander, it's nice to have a stack stashed back so you can take a brake. Focus on travel. But most of us know if one of us gets some work, half the time we get paid Way more then normal! It's what ever... If people hand you money, they wanted to. But if your out and about or hitching money will come. I think as long as your Honest, some crazy Good shit Will come your Way...