aspiring adventurer (socal)

punch

Reaction score
hey out there! i really dig this site. i've been hanging around stp for a little while but only recently joined. great information out here and a lot of cool people!
my name is punch [currently stationed in LA, california] and i'm interested in adventure and a simple life. i have some things holding me back from hitting the road at the moment (at least, hitting the road for good), but my mind is set - this is definitely happening for me.
i'd like to meet some people that i could potentially travel with/hang with on here, as well as gather up useful information so i'm prepared (or as prepared as i can be, anyway). my pack is slowly but surely being stocked (lightly) with items recommended by people from the boards and i'm working on selling my stuff so i have money by the time i head out. i'm excited! and nervous. but i'm positive that i want this as part of my life.
anything that the good people of stp can tell me that hasn't been said before, or should be repeated for good measure? anyone in LA right now? anyone passed through here before? - how'd ya pass through? it'd be great if i could get some pointers on getting out of here. thx to everyone.

dylann

Reaction score
Hey, Good luck on your trip first of all. Secondly, a good way to get out of LA is to go to PCH and walk through Malibu until you get a ride to Oxnard and beyond (sometimes this works, but not always). another way is to take city buses until SLO where the hitching gets easier. Or go to a spot where Hippies with vans hangout. You might get lucky in Venice or Topanga Canyon. Those are a few ways I know how to get out of LA that have worked for me. Good luck and have a fun time

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
the best advice is to read and then re read everything on these forums and that wil give you a good start for life on the road. the rest you'll figure out as you go

Reactions: eske silver

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey out there! i really dig this site. i've been hanging around stp for a little while but only recently joined. great information out here and a lot of cool people!
my name is punch [currently stationed in LA, california] and i'm interested in adventure and a simple life. i have some things holding me back from hitting the road at the moment (at least, hitting the road for good), but my mind is set - this is definitely happening for me.
i'd like to meet some people that i could potentially travel with/hang with on here, as well as gather up useful information so i'm prepared (or as prepared as i can be, anyway). my pack is slowly but surely being stocked (lightly) with items recommended by people from the boards and i'm working on selling my stuff so i have money by the time i head out. i'm excited! and nervous. but i'm positive that i want this as part of my life.
anything that the good people of stp can tell me that hasn't been said before, or should be repeated for good measure? anyone in LA right now? anyone passed through here before? - how'd ya pass through? it'd be great if i could get some pointers on getting out of here. thx to everyone.

Keep in mind that you will come across many low points in your travels, but they will pass and make the good times that much better.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I just joined today, and my situation sounds a lot like yours!

I'm West - Perhaps I've read too much Steinbeck and Thoreau, but there seems to be nothing but a life of adventure and wandering for me. I'm a youngun, so the things holding me back are one more burdensome year of compulsory education and other little legalities like that.
I leave in one year, but my mind is set as well.

I've been researching modern and traditional wandering in this continent for the past few months, I might be able to answer some questions for you! I might have some input on gear - I spent the past few years time under the tutilege of a post-apocalyptic dreamer who runs a survival school online, he is a close family friend.

Alas, I have visited LA but once and have no information for you - except that you should go see the Glitch Mob perform before you leave. :3

Good luck!
americanhobo.tumblr.com

Reactions: dylann

JOJO

Reaction score
there is a yard in coltan i believe if you make it there that will take you ether to north east or south east to Vegas

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads