Southern Texas?

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
thinking of crossing the border in McAllen to Reynosa, en route to central america. The region of south Texas seems like a mystery to me, particularly around the gulf. Anyone been? What is going on down there?

Also: are the small-town cops really as harsh as I've heard?

Naked Lilies

Reaction score
Texas cops in general are dicks, although university cops are probably the worst. And yes, small town cops deserve their reputation. These towns typically make their money busting people with bullshit speed trap fines.

It's better the closer you get to the gulf, though. Corpus and Galveston are relatively decent.

Naked Lilies

Reaction score
To add to that: I've never crossed the border at McAllen. But I have gone several times thru Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. It's a heavily trafficked area. So if you're looking to hitch you might have better luck there.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Cartel shit, you know. I assume the average tramp looks poor enough that we don't get messed with but worth asking yer experience!

VanScribed Goat

Reaction score
Texas cops in general are dicks, although university cops are probably the worst. And yes, small town cops deserve their reputation. These towns typically make their money busting people with bullshit speed trap fines.

It's better the closer you get to the gulf, though. Corpus and Galveston are relatively decent.
I agree, down around Corpus/ Port Aransas I had a good ole ball one weekend, illegal camping and all, never even saw a cop the whole time. Except the beach patrol where I had a tent set up, dude didn't even come close to me, just drove right by. Galveston they seem to mind their own business for the most part as well. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads