Southern Oregon Mountain Spots?

NocturnalJoe

Reaction score
Will be hopping a bus to Southern Oregon the frist of May. Am loking for some good spots up in the mountains, at least 5 miles or more from any road or trail. Plan on staying up in the mountains, growing fod, making a little shelter cabin, ect. Have herd alot of hippies in southern Oregon, and am abit of a hippie myself.

K

Kim Chee

How do you plan on getting resupplied? If that were my endeavor, I'd get on oogle earth and look for something not too steep with a grocery store near the treeline. Find at least four spots like that before you head out. Scout until you find something you like. You may find that 5 miles is more distance than you need to be all alone.

Make a false camp close to where you enter the trees and make it look like you use it. Also, vary your path to avoid making a trail.

K

Kim Chee

I plan on getting food in town before hiking up, then for resupply would be a trip down the mountain and back up it. Looking for a spot somewhat close to water.
Water=people and Game Wardens

Narrows your choices. Water is easy to spot on GE. Year round water might be tougher.

K

Kim Chee

No civilization there, gonna eat berries? Roseburg is nearby and has some civilization at least...and a set of rr tracks that lead to Eugene when it is time for you to leave.

K

Kim Chee

Yep. It isn't a big town, you're on the I-5, river nearby.

If you don't like it, you have options there. Hitchin' is cool in Oregon (not the Dalles). You can walk along the Interstate last I heard.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Hey bud, if you haven't already you should read "The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac. The whole book is basically him and his buddy going into the mountains like you're talking about, in the Northwest too. It's supposed to be "the book that started the hippie generation", which is a little bold but Jack Kerouac is widely accepted as the father of the hippie movement. You might enjoy!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads