Southbound for a home | Squat the Planet

Southbound for a home

Reaction score
Hey, name's Ryan, and I'm looking to travel south quite soon. Where I'm at now is declining rapidly with jobs and such, so I'm looking to make a big change. Gotta love Central Massachusetts. :flush:

I'm looking to get somewhere warmer than my current location. Either by hiking the whole way, or hopping trains. Not that big into hitchhiking, but if I need to I guess I will.

Once down south (not sure how far yet) I'd like to start up a place, grow crops, salvage whatever I can find from the local towns, and just make a place for people to stop in or live at for a while. I've got six years of construction under my belt, and quite a few years of wilderness survival, hiking and such. Also I've been farming with my family since i was able to stand, so that's a big plus too.

Well, that's about it. Hopefully I'll hear from a few of you soon, i dig the site too! Lots of good info!

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hey man, welcome to the site! with all that knowledge you should do just fine. I'm currently in north eastern, CT with no plans to travel at the moment but, can understand your need to want out of the area. get to know people on the forums and do your homework on train hopping and eventuality you find some cool people to show you the rails. good luck out there man! :)

skullflap

Reaction score
i recommend asheville, north carolina. all the way
very friendly. large anarchist community. many squats that you can find just by walking around. food not bombs a few times a week. beautiful mountains, clean air, really can't be beat.

crust mecca of the country

graven

Reaction score
I love asheville too ^^

i've been thinkin about driving down to roanoke, va in a few weeks. if you happen through ct around the same time your welcome to hitch a free ride.

the farm idea sounds awesome! I want to do the homesteading thing myself. maybe i'll seeya around.

Reaction score
Right on, that was actually the area i was thinking about was NC or SC, looks like i'll have to get a little info in the area. And thanks for the offer for the ride, graven, i may take you up on that. I might be leaving in a few days for my adventure, so i'll keep you informed.

drinkycrow

Reaction score
austins got a metric-shit-ton of co-ops that are really effin awesome... check out 21st st. on collegehouses.org... hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the link drinky, maybe in my travels i'll head down that way to check out the facilities and get a feel for it, but it looks like you have to be a student at one of the surrounding colleges and also there's a $300 deposit. Looks like a pretty rad place though!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads