riding solo

sofarfromhome

Reaction score
so, I've been traveling Around by myself now for a couple months and i gotta say, it ain't half bad. i was a little worried about it, because i had always traveled with someone else. but it actually turned out to be pretty nice! you get to go wherever the hell you want, do whatever the hell you want, and all the money you make you get to spend on whatever the hell you want. it's a hell of a lot easier to get rides too, which is what surprised me the most haha. you learn a lot about yourself traveling alone as well. it's definitely been a lot better than i thought it should be.
the only downside is, it gets a bit lonely sometimes. walking through a city you've never been in at night alone sucks. it's always nice to have someone to drink a beer with after a long day of going from town to town. don't get me wrong, i love talking to myself, but half of the time i already know what I'm gonna say.
so, what do you guys think? do you prefer traveling alone or with someone/a group of people? I'm not sure which I prefer. they both have their ups and downs.

C

Cree

Having a good road dog(s) is far and few between. My last trip from KC to Tallahassee was solo and it was really good. I'm quite sure i have ditched more people than i have ridden with. With that being said i'm leaning more towards keeping it solo.

clockwise5000

Reaction score
Website
travelinthrulife.wordpress.com
besides with friends from my home town, i've only spontaneously traveled with 2 other people. 1 guy for about 5 days which was cool and then with a girl for almost 6 months which was awesome. i never minded being alone so much, though. but lately i don't know if i've felt the same. it depends.

Antelope Bob

Soul Seeker
Reaction score
i been solo most of my 30 years mostly cuz i am a solitary person, however. i don't like to drink alone

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i've done it tons of times, but given the choice i'd rather have the company than anything else.

Kal

Reaction score
For the most part I travel alone. I did travel with someone a month or two ago and enjoyed the company. Nola Nick was his name he is the one who took my picture for my aviator. He had a car and we did a lot of riding from one end of Montana to the next and then to Olympia WA. It was fun.

Reactions: sofarfromhome

Sip

Reaction score
I've only ever traveled alone... so I guess I'm biased. Did a bit of rubber tramping with my boyfriend, but I found the fact that I have to care about someone elses needs very frustrating and time consuming. At the end of may, when I get out again, I'm only taking the dog. Great for company and she won't complain.

sofarfromhome

Reaction score
i think it's nice to have company. it keeps me from going nuts. i like traveling by myself, which is something i never thought I'd say, but it's nice knowing that you've got someone with you who has your back. it's nice to have someone to get drunk with while you're busking (or flying a sign or however you make your $). doing that shit alone is boring. plus, there's a lot of crazy shit that happens to me, and it's nice to have someone to experience it with.
I'll probably meet someone somewhere and end up traveling with them for a bit, sooner or later. riding solo seems to be working pretty well for the moment, so I'll just keep on doin it. it's not like i really have a choice haha.

Art101

Reaction score
As long I have a decent book Im never alone.I travel alone,this may be to the fact most people annoy the shit out of me.I even annoy myself,so yeah solo is good.I always hop out alone,there is less drama and crap to contend with if your are rocking it solo.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I used to strictly travel solo (besides my pup) or occasionally with one other persyn. Because people exhaust me after a while and I can't deal with junkies/alcoholics the vast majority of the time (not to mention how much easier it is to hop out on yer own vs with people) but Recently I have been wanting to to see what the experience what it's like in a small group, I think the dynamics that a situation like that would set up could be interesting.

sofarfromhome

Reaction score
I used to strictly travel solo (besides my pup) or occasionally with one other persyn. Because people exhaust me after a while and I can't deal with junkies/alcoholics the vast majority of the time (not to mention how much easier it is to hop out on yer own vs with people) but Recently I have been wanting to to see what the experience what it's like in a small group, I think the dynamics that a situation like that would set up could be interesting.
traveling with one other person is ideal for me, but a group of 3 is pretty good too. i want to travel around with a solid group of people who all have instruments and we just go everywhere and get hammered and make sweet jams. yeah, i can't stand junkies or alcoholics, that's why I'm never around them haha

Sip

Reaction score
I even annoy myself

I love it when you're waiting for a ride, and you've been standing their for hours, thinking, and all of a sudden you just go "God me, you're so fucking stupid, why do you think shit like that, do you know how dumb that is?" Or when you're singing and your own singing starts to irittate the piss out of you. LOL

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads