So, I was wondering...? | Squat the Planet

So, I was wondering...?

Dog

Reaction score
Why would homeless people ever come to Phoenix on purpose? If you could get enough money for a bus ticket, why wouldn't you go to some place nice like San Diego, San Francisco, or Los Angeles?

I go on walks very early in the morning, and I walk to a local McDonalds restaurant for breakfast, and I notice tons of homeless people there, not just in the winter, but also in the summer. I know if I was about to become homeless, I would get a bus ticket and go to somewhere in western California, so at least the weather would be somewhat nice, since I would have to live outdoors.

K

Kim Chee

Funny introduction:
There's too many homeless people over here, why can't they just go exist somewhere else?
Haha.

There is a huge love shortage in the United States. The love shortage is far more serious than the homeless problem. If the love problem were fixed, the homeless problem would be fixed soon afterward.

Find some love within yourself, brother and share it with the less fortunate.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be Phoenix - can be anyplace - like where I live. I help out travelers.

Reactions: Anagor

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Actually - curious as to your post. Doesn't sound like you travel, yet this is a traveling website. Not calling you out but just wondering.

Dog

Reaction score
Actually - curious as to your post. Doesn't sound like you travel, yet this is a traveling website. Not calling you out but just wondering.

Does travel back and forth from Phoenix to San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco count as travel? I've never been east of Arizona. So, I'm not well traveled. But can anyone really beat western California? I hope to eventually move there permanently.

Dog

Reaction score
Funny introduction:
There's too many homeless people over here, why can't they just go exist somewhere else?
Haha.

There is a huge love shortage in the United States. The love shortage is far more serious than the homeless problem. If the love problem were fixed, the homeless problem would be fixed soon afterward.

Find some love within yourself, brother and share it with the less fortunate.

By "here" I am assuming you mean you're in California, right? You're lucky you live there. Someday I'm going to join you there.

K

Kim Chee

That's romantic Michael but you have got to be kidding yourself to think that all the homeless in Phoenix would eventually lead meaningful lives given enough love
Are you saying they aren't leading meaningful lives? I wasn't saying that they aren't leading meaningful lives.
Are you underestimating the power of love, underestimating the cost of wars/greed or all three?

By "here" I am assuming you mean you're in California, right? You're lucky you live there. Someday I'm going to join you there.
I'm not in Ca right now. When I said "here" I was referring to a person noticing homeless people. As in "here" could be anywhere.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Are you saying they aren't leading meaningful lives? I wasn't saying that they aren't leading meaningful lives.
Are you underestimating the power of love, underestimating the cost of wars/greed or all three?

I'm not in Ca right now. When I said "here" I was referring to a person noticing homeless people. As in "here" could be anywhere.

My assumption of the "homeless problem" was the homeless and hopeless who are not leading meaningful lives and have a tortured existence. That is debatable sure. Maybe I am underestimating the power of love, but I am convinced a large portion of the homebums in phx (and elsewhere) bring it upon themselves. If the idea is to inspire them through love to be what they want to be, it could work some of them time, but I doubt its the end all be all way to "fix the homeless problem." Some people just see homelessness in general as a problem. For others it is a solution.

MFB

Reaction score
Phoenix does kind of suck, but no more than LA and SD. I never understand people's fascination with CA, especially SoCal...

I agree with a lot of what MX7ichael says...reminds me a lot of the stuff Vonnegut says. I wish I could whole heartedly believe it...however...some homebums, its in their nature to not give one iota of a fuck...to not put an oz of effort into life. I suppose that's what bothers me. Love can fix a lot, but I dont think it can change the nature of someone; there will always be shitty homebums.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
K

Kim Chee

Why would homeless people ever come to Phoenix on purpose?
For the price of an egg MickMuffin and a cup of senior coffee you'll probably find out in detail why a person chose Phoenix. 20 different people may yield almost 20 different reasons. Some people like to be near what they call home or maybe there are good bum feeds nearby.

When I'm living outside, weather is a huge consideration. Phoenix may get brutally hot, but that doesn't deter me as much as the fact that it is the concrete jungle.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Los Angeles is one of the worst places I've ever been homeless in. It's awful.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads