Smoking and Travel Culture

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think saying smoking is popular in travel culture really means anything...
Smoking is something in society that is ingrained on a completely deeper level than some scene.

If you're thinking about smoking tobacco it usually starts in your friendships as a young kid... and the influences you have from parental authority figures... usually not always.

... I don't think though someone should deny themselves something they enjoy... so... yea... but sometimes there are also better ways of doing it also... also not everything is for everybody. Just cuz grandma can smoke till she is 99 don't mean I won't die tomorrow.

So what I 'm saying is... ... um fuck it??

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Don't smoke, never have, never will.

I'd love to smoke Clove cigs, but can't because I have severe asthma that's slowly turning to COPD thanks to my dad's two pack a day habit when my mom was pregnant with me.

Back in the day, the man was the king of his house and you didn't tell him to go smoke outside, so my mother breathed in all the smoke and I grew up breathing it in.

If my dad was going to ruin my lungs, I wish he'd have smoked something that smelled good at least...like a pipe.

::shifty::

Reaction score
Well yeah smoking is deeply ingrained in society but it's on a completely different level in this culture. Just as a working class kid I'd say almost all my coworkers smoke but the ones who don't are staunchly opposed to it and it's certainly on the decline (cigarette sales are proof of that). I have not seen the same pattern however among travellers.

Durp

Reaction score
I started because all the cute girls kept asking for cigs. I quit (sort of) because it made me feel like shit and act like a fucking ingrate when I could not get a smoke. Now I sometimes smoke an ecig and get a cheap cigar once or so a week. I fucking love smoking, it is such a fantastic social lubricant.

Reactions: Mankini

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Eh... don't need to smoke cigs regular just keep some on you... or at least keep a lighter handy to light up a girls smoke.

I suppose.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd love to smoke Clove cigs

Ah-haha... that brings up memories when I was young bastard o... with slick hair and smooth words in the junior year of HS participating in some hokey after school club so I could get my ass in a weekend field trip downstate finals to flirt with girls...

Djarum Cloves... :D

Djarum-blacks-kretek.jpg

• Sad

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Ah-haha... that brings up memories when I was young bastard o... with slick hair and smooth words in the junior year of HS participating in some hokey after school club so I could get my ass in a weekend field trip downstate finals to flirt with girls...

Djarum Cloves... :D

View attachment 23915

Yep.

That pic brings back cherished memories.

::cigar::

I hung out with all the punks and we'd listen to the Misfits, Bauhaus, T.S.O.L etc and all my friends would be smoking cloves and I'd breathe as much of that glorious scent I could (until I choked and had an attack) wishing I could take just one, drag...

K

Kim Chee

I can't remember how many times I've been asked for a light or tobacco on the street and have gotten awkward glances when the truth comes out...I'm a nonsmoker.

No light no drags...

Thought I'd try and represent the opposite side of the spectrum.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
For me I started smoking tobacco back when I used to smoke weed because the nicotine buzz made being stoned all the nicer. Plus there was I guess the rebellious thing that contributed to me starting, my parents hated it and it was yet another thing I could do to piss em off. Then I quit smoking weed and didn't quit smoking tobacco because by that time I was already addicted, but it became an enjoyable way to pass the time, to break up the day with smoke breaks when working, something to do when waiting for a train or a ride, and there is the social aspect of it, as well as being outside all the time when on the road which lends itself to being able to smoke whenever, etc...

However as with any vice, as I've gotten older I've hadda slow my roll, and as of late I've actually stopped smoking tobacco regularly and get my nicotine fix from vaping. Overall I do feel better, lungs don't hurt anymore, I don't get winded, have better endurance, etc... But when on the road I do switch back to smoking tobacco regularly just because it's more convenient vs having yet another device to carry around and charge, or worry about breaking/getting jacked/etc...

D

Deleted member 11443

Cigarettes have always grossed me out. It wasnt until I started dating a traveling kid that I picked it up hahaha. Nearly 2 years I smoked whatever I could find, even started sniping and rolling these horrible frankenstien cigs. Then I stopped, all my friends smoke, and it was hard not to take a drag off a stogie when they lit up, but now i can say im a nonsmoker again.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads