Sleeping Pads / Ground Insulation

ridegnu

Reaction score
I just finished patching my pad with all the patches left in the kit, and it still goes flat. Time for a new one.

I sleep well on my side, so I naturally stay warmer. Can sleep on just about anything. I like the comfort and warmth of my thermarest, but its heavy and goes flat.

It's all ive ever slept on besides cardboard and the ground. How are the foam ones? At the same size, which is heavier?

I was looking at some of that shiney silver insulation at Home Depot today. $20 for a sheet 2'X8'. Real light, im curious about the insulating properties, anyone used it?

PS: Anyone have any tips for good home made patches?????

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
If you have the $$,, or are down with theft, I would highly suggest one of these:
Therm-a-Rest® ProLite Plus self-inflating air mattress.
It is super lightweight and compacts down smaller than any sleeping pad I have ever seen.
It IS inflatable though, If you are trying to avoid an inflatable pad
But yeah, small, dosenot weight a thing, and keeps you nice and warm!

menu

Reaction score
I just use a military surplus one(4.95) and I cut it off at a lil above the knees. makes it more compact. all the fancy shit is overkill I think.

and if you can find a boot and shoe repair store you can find good leather in the dumpsters. I use leather for all my patches

Reactions: West and RSTY802510

EastCoast315

Reaction score

ridegnu

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the tips. It seems that most people have converted to using thermarests, and I can understand why. Has no one had any experience with the furnace insulation crap? I wish I could remember the proper name.

What about certian clothes, I was thinking about insulation and most know the newspaper trick, but has anybody experienced a noticeable difference in certain clothing fabrics?

RoboIsGod

Reaction score
Sleeping Pad vs. Cardboard

What do you prefer? Inflatable or foam pad? Or do you just use cardboard?

I've got a foam pad that roles up to be a bit bigger than a role of paper towels. It can be bulky, so I'm thinking of just starting to use cardboard instead. Also, we're talking about summer here (for the most part warm weather).

Your turn.

bozotrev

Reaction score

I have never used cardboard. I just go to rei and buy a thermarest. They are a great investment and last long If thats what you are currently using I would just stick with it.

tumtum

Reaction score

I use a foam pad because many times I end up where there's no cardboard to be found. You can find good foam at carpet store dumpsters sometimes.

ridegnu

Reaction score

I would imagine your question to be a taste of personal preference, and I would assume people to prefer the more comfortable option. I much prefer the $70 therma rest to the shitty cardboard.

menu

Reaction score

I use a military surplus green foam pad(like $4.95) and I just cut the bottom to torso length to reduce the bulk. I think there was a thread about this already wasnt there? I remember talking to wider about it.

ridegnu

Reaction score

Yeah, it was my thread, made it a week or two ago. Still trying to find someone who sleeps on that silver insulation mess.

Crisp

Reaction score

thermarest trail. 30 bucks. the smallest size they have is torso length. i've tried others and i still prefer mine to the more expensive ones. instead of rolling it up, i fold it and stash it in the sleeping bag compartment of my pack. well worth the $30 investment.

hshh

Reaction score

got a rei brand inflatable torso length for 40 some bucks and it was worth it. it has a few tiny burn holes( which are easy to fix if you have the gooo) so it doesnt stay inflated but it still has plenny of cushion and insulation value without any air.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad - Regular at REI.com

I have this. It's amazing. Not as comfortable as an inflatable, but it's pure magic on trains. It fit perfectly in a 53 mini-well. I was able to roll it out quickly and discreetly, and when it was time to get off the train, I could roll it up just as quickly and discreetly. If I just wanted it to extend down my back, I could roll half of it out and use the rest as a pillow. It made a really great seat, too.

It weighed very little, I never noticed any difference, and it didn't soak up a bunch of water. It kept me pretty warm, as well. I never noticed the cold steel on my back!

The only problems I have with it is that it's wide (I had it strapped to the bottom of my pack), making it a bit more difficult walking through crowded spaces or DPU doorways or busses. Also, it got beat up a bit, but that could be remedied by covering it with something or not strapping it to the bottom of the pack!

M

Monkeywrench

I got kicked down a fancy inflatable Thermarest or whatever on the road, and hated it. If you're backwoods camping, or legally sleeping wherever, yeah sure it's great. But if you ever needed to pack your shit immediately and vacate a squat, jungle, or wherever--it was a big inflatable mess, that you had to roll, re-roll, undo, and roll again. Awful. Also, it was so slick that sleeping at any sort of incline sent you flying all over the place. Never again. The only pro I saw, was that it was %100 waterproof. Always great.

Foam? Too bulky. Takes up needed space. But comfortable.

Cardboard is free, and convenient, but unfortunately not waterproof. :( Gotta balance it all out, I suppose. Boils down to preference.

ayron

Reaction score

torso length foam!
ive recently discoverd the perfect sleeping pad arrangement for me. if you get the cheep, closed cell, blue, foam pads, cut the length to your torso length (30 inches or so) and as wide as your pack then you can fold it up into your backpack adding extra support to your packs form/ frame. the good thing is this stuff is light and better for ye ol back then cardbord, dont get wet and its so small and light that its almost imposible for it to ever be an issue

back support by day and sleeping pad by night.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score

Yeah, it was my thread, made it a week or two ago. Still trying to find someone who sleeps on that silver insulation mess.

That silver insulation mess is made of fiberglass, so I really can't recommend it for actually sleeping on. For lining a wall or ceiling or under a floor, it'll be fine and great though. The thing about fiberglass is that if you lay on it, and fold it, etc, that would cause the fibers to break off and then you end up either breathing in some, or getting it lodged in your skin- which makes you cough and feel itchy. It's used for insulation because it doesn't rot and it doesn't melt very easily. Don't use it for clothing or a sleeping bag or a sleeping matt.

M

Monkeywrench

Has anyone tried using a yoga mat? I've always been curious if any of you have used these as sleeping mats. They look comfortable, and sell for next to nothing, compared to what outdoor sleeping mats go for.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads