Sleeping in a tent | Squat the Planet

Sleeping in a tent

boris

Reaction score
Dear people,

Next year, in february or march, I'm going to the states for three months (90 days is all I get).

What I'd really like to do is of course make a trip, but especially camping in the nature. I'm going with a friend of mine and we'd like to bring a tent. We'd like to make hiking trips through mountains in the Rockies or in Canada or in Alaska.

The question is, is this a good idea? Considering temperatures, whether it's legal or not, etc.

Thanks

Reactions: Mankini

boris

Reaction score
Tell me to do something else and then post a beautiful picture of where I'm dreaming of to go, that's mean :p

But I guess you're right about the February thing. We might first go around the USA and in april (or even May maybe?) go camping somewhere north. How about that?

boris

Reaction score
I'm a bit on a tight schedule because I need to be back on 15 May, something like that. You're saying late spring or early summer. Do you think that camping in Alaska is fine when it's in april? Or, if it's not, maybe in the Rockies or another beautiful mountain range? (I also need some time to go back to New York to take my flight home.)

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
If you can get out the the east side, like around NY and PA, the Catskills are wonderful mid spring through mid fall. Tolerable in the winter, depending on your experience level and definition of "nice winter weather".

The Adirondacks are another animal entirely. Easy place to get lost, weather is unpredictable, especially at the higher altitudes. I've heard them described as "The Rockies of the East Coast" Best to wait until you're more experienced before tackling them. I remember back in June of '01 my dad and I were camped out at Wilmington Notch Campground (elevation 5264 Feet, about 30 Min south west of Lake Placid) and we got snowed in for two days.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i would go to the appalacion trail in early spring.between northcarolina and maryland. there are few venomous snakes few or no bears (black bears,not usually agressive). also the trails are well marked. there is milder weather and its pretty hard to f-up there.there is water spickets and every thing is colcor coded. also many ranger stations if you find yourself in a bind. summer hit the northern tail virginia to the end.

Apples

Reaction score
I'd second the Appalachian Trail. Maryland everything south would be hike-able in cold weather. Up north it would get harder but still possibly hike-able. But if you wanna do the Rockies or further up north go for it.

boris

Reaction score
there are few venomous snakes few or no bears (black bears,not usually agressive). also the trails are well marked. there is milder weather and its pretty hard to f-up there.there is water spickets and every thing is colcor coded. also many ranger stations if you find yourself in a bind.
Snakes? What do I do to protect myself against that?! Can something happen when I sleep in a tent?

And, by the way, is it legal just to camp in the mountains?
I'd second the Appalachian Trail. Maryland everything south would be hike-able in cold weather. Up north it would get harder but still possibly hike-able. But if you wanna do the Rockies or further up north go for it.
I'd like to keap it "as south as possible" then. I have no experience with hiking in snow. So I'd guess I'd be hiking somewhere here. Would Santa Fe or Espanola be a good starting point? And does anyone maybe know something about different laws in New Mexico and Colorado (concerning camping)?

Thanks a lot already for all the responses.

wartomods

Reaction score
it is pretty much impossible to be bothered by a snake when you are inside the tent sleeping, even people who use tarps dont have much problems

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Be very careful if you go camping in Alaska in April. Make sure you know the area and have the appropriate gear. When the spring thaw starts lots of spots get very unsuitable for camping very quickly. Same thing goes for some of the other cold or high elevation places that time of the year. If your newer to traveling and/or camping I'd definitely recommend against it.

boris

Reaction score
I think I'll skip Alaska then. Aren't there places in Alaska where there's no snow or dangerous camping? I'd really like to wake up in a beautiful nature place with nobody around me like in a hostel or something. I don't really need to hike trough the snow, maybe just a day's walk through paths that are already there.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I think I'll skip Alaska then. Aren't there places in Alaska where there's no snow or dangerous camping? I'd really like to wake up in a beautiful nature place with nobody around me like in a hostel or something. I don't really need to hike trough the snow, maybe just a day's walk through paths that are already there.

Your joking right? Please tell me your just messing with us. In a hostel you will definitely wake up with people around you. If your interested in hostels though go check out http://www.hihostels.com or http://www.hostels.com. Anchorage and Fairbanks have lots of nice hostels and there's a few more scattered around the state.

boris

Reaction score
Your joking right? Please tell me your just messing with us. In a hostel you will definitely wake up with people around you. If your interested in hostels though go check out http://www.hihostels.com or http://www.hostels.com. Anchorage and Fairbanks have lots of nice hostels and there's a few more scattered around the state.
Yeah I'm sorry. What you're saying is kind of what I mean. I guess I wasn't thinking when I typed that. This is what I meant: I'd really like to wake up in a beautiful nature place with nobody around me.

Do you think that's possible in february, march or april (anywhere in the rockies? (or otherwise, anywhere in the u.s.a.?)).

atlastalias

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
it is pretty much impossible to be bothered by a snake when you are inside the tent sleeping, even people who use tarps dont have much problems
That's so not true. A snake can crawl under your tent whilst your sleeping and you could roll over onto it. Just don't camp near rivers or lakes, that's where they are.

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Reaction score
If you're on a trail like the Appalachian Trail, there will be thru camping shelters, usually fancy 3-sided raised structures that you can use for the night. Don't rely on them though, your schedule may not always match up with coming upon them.

There are a few pros and cons to a tent:

Pros:
-The more people in a tent, the more efficient it is weight-wise compared to other alternatives such as two hammock setups
- Gives the feeling of having a "shelter space"

Cons:
- Requires flat ground and no woody vegetation
- If you want comfort you're going to have to bring a sleeping pad

Could also cowboy camp, tarp and a sleeping bag. Bivy bags are also an option, as are hammock setups.
That being said, in February or March in the areas you originally suggested, you're going to need gear specifically for colder climates, snowshoes, and good waterproof boots. If there isn't snow, there's likely going to be a decent amount of mud and if you're looking at peak areas they might have hiking banned at that time. You also have to be careful you don't go on winter trails that are frequented by skiers and snowboarders, the footprints freeze over and ruin their ability to do their thing.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads