Sleeping bags

Johnny

Reaction score
I've been looking for a small sleeping bag, and I dont think there is such a thing. I picked up a regular sized bag, my friend said it was the smallest one he'd ever seen, but the thing isnt going to fit in my pack. I figure I'll just strap the thing on there. Is there a preferred method anyone has had an easy time with? Any info is appreciated, its my first time on the road.

Blacknose

Reaction score
In sleeping bags small = pricey+fragile

If by small you mean short i think some brands do make shorter bags but seeing how you have one now, in the cold season you should tie off/invert or in any way shorten the bag if its to long for you as you would otherwise have to heat up all that extra space and the bag will not be as warm as it could be ! ..

as to strapping it to your bag , if it's in a good stuff sack you could strap it to the bottom of your pack , does your pack have any points you can attach it to ? If the pack has a hood you could try fitting it under there aswell ..

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Have you thought of just getting a compression bag for your existing sleeping bag?

Reactions: claymation

xACABx

Reaction score
Mummy bags that are filled with synthetic materials are usually more light weight easily compressed. You can invest in a compression sack as well. They work wonders for making them smaller.

Reactions: claymation

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
the down sleeping bags are lighter and more compact, but they can't retain their heat if it gets wet. the synthetic filled bags DO retain their warmth when wet.

. . .just something to think about.

Reactions: RVLG and claymation
Reaction score
true that on down being more compressible, but if it gets wet you're SOL. Sleeping bag size, and weight both depend on what kind of temps you're going to be expecting. I always get a bag that's at least 10-15 degrees below the average low in that area. For instance, say I'm going to be sleeping in an area where lows are typically around freezing, I would opt for a 20 Degree bag. To save space in your pack, get a mummy style bag because it uses less material and also increases warmth because it has less space to keep warm. A compression sack is a good idea if space is an issue, but also wears down the bag faster breaking down the loft. I use a dry sack, which is about 15 liters and it works just fine. When you're not using it, i.e. not on the road, never stuff it for storage. The more you pay for your bag, generally the lighter and warmer it will be (true to temp rating). Although, there are some economical ones out there that do a great job and only weigh a bit more than their expensive counterparts.

I love my Mountain Hardware Pinole.

Another good bag is the Kelty Cosmic, but they come in down and synthetic so choose wisely.

Reactions: japanarchist

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking for a small sleeping bag, and I dont think there is such a thing. I picked up a regular sized bag, my friend said it was the smallest one he'd ever seen, but the thing isnt going to fit in my pack. I figure I'll just strap the thing on there. Is there a preferred method anyone has had an easy time with? Any info is appreciated, its my first time on the road.
ozark trail makes decent ones, you can find them at most Dicks Sporting Goods, REI and what have you. they are not top of the line sleeping bags, but I have a kelty coyote and my sleeping bag fits fine anywhere in my pack. the sleeping bag that I own is rated for 30 degrees, but easily with a blanket( or for less weight, get a silk liner for your sleeping bag) you can withstand the cold. there hasn't been any issues in the 4 years ive owned it. sorry i dont have a picture of anything, im on a slow ass connection and dont want to have to wait for the upload.

K

Kim Chee

if it isn't too cold, use a blanket(s), they're everywhere free or cheap. Easily stashed (usually wont get stolen). Make it look dirtier than it is and it will be really unpalatable to the bushbeaters. When it gets too dirty to use, getcha another clean one and keep that blanket next to your body.

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
i just have a cheapo walmart sleeping bag. ( $50 bag i put in the $20 bag case, ) its light and small and keeps me warm. its for 20-30 outside. and i have a fleece zip up liner so if i need the extra warmth i have it and if not got me a pillow or a nice blanket.

Dead horse

Reaction score
Bulk means warmth I live and travel during the winter in Canada, some of the best sleeping bags I've owned comes in a set for about 300 (used, ya Canadian military issue kits aren't cheap). Its really just depends on how cold it is and what your needs are

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score

damn, some of you guys like it pretty warm at night. my blood is thick and i run a little hot. i used to run around with a 0 deg. bag and after that one got ruined and nasty, i've just had this 20 deg north face bag a friend kicked down to me. if it gets really cold, i've sewn a few of those blue delta (like fake fleece or something) blankets together and made a liner out of those. works pretty well. i never made it up to canada or anything, but east cali and nevada (it has been a while) gets pretty cold at nights... and it's worked for me there and many other places.
i do have a synthetic fill with mine instead of the down fill. only because it retains its heat when wet... i mine gets moist a lot (condensation from the bivy).

bryanpaul

Reaction score
just was reminded............ places that rent uhaul trucks will usually have these ghettoass blue blankets that are a good addition to a ghettoass sleeping bag...just gotta go up and give 'em your "waah wahh, we'r so cold and homeless and hungry and hopeless" deal

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i just have a cheapo walmart sleeping bag. ( $50 bag i put in the $20 bag case, ) its light and small and keeps me warm. its for 20-30 outside.
so you're the jerk who did that! when i thought i was buyin a 20 degree sleeping bag lol ;)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads