Sleeping bags help | Squat the Planet

Sleeping bags help

D

Deleted member 5971

needing some help on finding the best type of sleeping bag for light weight and providing enough warmth. 20-30 temp any suggestions?

railroadron

Reaction score
I suggest Coleman because everybody sells em ..they re lightweight and they come in a handy nylon bag that easily lashes onto any pack. I have one brand new from target for 40 bucks thats rated for 15 degrees. Last winter I was plenty warm in even in 18 degrees.

D

Deleted member 125

army navy stores usually sell decent sleeping bags rated pretty low in temp. i got a brand new mummy rated at 20 i think fo50 or 60 bucks that came in a real small stuff sack. or try amazon, you might be able to find a deal on a discontinued style or something.

scatwomb

Reaction score
I want to reiterate what cancureherpes said. Military surplus stores have all sorts of amazing, useful and affordable things for travellin' folk.

I made myself a badass canvas backpack out of about $20 of supplies from a place in Minneapolis.

You'll definitely be able to find a good and affordable sleeping bag.

Doc Road

Reaction score
DUDE! I got this dope bag from REI. It's about the size of a milk jug when compressed, rated at somthing like 32. like you would think its pricey yuppy shit(85$), but its the jams, just big enough to squezz in a SMALL squizz of your own. made by Marmot. online be cheeper i reckon. or just roll on buy when there buzzy as shit on sale days, fits right in your Chrome bag;)

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Ehhh i use the cheapo blue mummy bag you can get from walmart for $25-$30.And its held up much better then my last $50 coleman piece of crap.And the stiching isn't falling the hell apart unlike my coleman that i had.

Yet it keeps my fatass pretty warm and i can cram all 6'5 of myself in it as well and be comfortable.Though id reccomend wearing a sweater or something if you were gonna use it lower then 30F.

Overall its lightweight and compress's down to a really small size.If ya wear it out just wash it and exchange it out at walmart for a new one.Works for me lol.Might be wise to get a thermal blanket or bivvy for colder weather.Though i haven't had to resort to that method yet.

Really did test it in the hills of virginia where it got down to the 30's and i was the only one who wasn't complaing about how cold it was lol.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
Ehhh i use the cheapo blue mummy bag you can get from walmart for $25-$30.And its held up much better then my last $50 coleman piece of crap.And the stiching isn't falling the hell apart unlike my coleman that i had.

Yet it keeps my fatass pretty warm and i can cram all 6'5 of myself in it as well and be comfortable.Though id reccomend wearing a sweater or something if you were gonna use it lower then 30F.

Overall its lightweight and compress's down to a really small size.If ya wear it out just wash it and exchange it out at walmart for a new one.Works for me lol.Might be wise to get a thermal blanket or bivvy for colder weather.Though i haven't had to resort to that method yet.

Really did test it in the hills of virginia where it got down to the 30's and i was the only one who wasn't complaing about how cold it was lol.
you talking about those blue ozark trail ones? im thinking about getting one but idk if its worth getting that or something a bit nicer.

Doc Road

Reaction score
Iv seen good surplus bags for like 45$, good down to 0. And the newer system the mil. has is this three in one bag thats good down to -70, com. bag gets the thing to a good size too, it was 120$. Thats the tickit if you goin north soon

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Yeah the blue ozark bags are pretty awesome for the coin.Yeah in the hills of North Carolina and in the hills of Virginia that bag kept me decently warm.I know it dropped down into the 40-30's at night in the hills plus all the dew.But if you don't have alot of money to spend then get that bag as the coleman bags won't keep you near as warm and are made pretty cheaply.

I just happened to order a bunch of new gear and im investing in a awesome sleep system for $90.Usmc army modular sleep system includes all the bags plus the bivy cover and stuff sack too.Rated for -30f with the whole complete system.Not bad at all if i do say so myself.I'm just happy ill have a sleep system that is more then i need but ill have it if it ever gets extremely cold out.Hah.

Doc Road

Reaction score
Yeah the blue ozark bags are pretty awesome for the coin.Yeah in the hills of North Carolina and in the hills of Virginia that bag kept me decently warm.I know it dropped down into the 40-30's at night in the hills plus all the dew.But if you don't have alot of money to spend then get that bag as the coleman bags won't keep you near as warm and are made pretty cheaply.

I just happened to order a bunch of new gear and im investing in a awesome sleep system for $90.Usmc army modular sleep system includes all the bags plus the bivy cover and stuff sack too.Rated for -30f with the whole complete system.Not bad at all if i do say so myself.I'm just happy ill have a sleep system that is more then i need but ill have it if it ever gets extremely cold out.Hah.
Right on, the mil. diffinately has it down to a science, everythig is light enough for how tough it is. Not so discreat, (If I went down the road in full battle rattle, Id probly look scary to all the sheep driveing there cars.) as far as the packs go. If you think about it the mil. are the bigest squaters of all, hu.

Reactions: Mankini

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score

Origanally i was gonna get that same ecws sleeping bag but it usually runs for around 200$. But now im broke so i might get an ozark trail one and a fleece sleeping bag liner

travelin

Reaction score
the -30 rating on the military modular system calls for one to be wearing the extreme cold weather components. i think this is sleeping booties and a sleeping hood along with cold weather underwear.

it also is four hours at -30 not indefinate.

for temps down to -10 it should work well without all the called-for clothing.

the bivy and green patrol bag will compress down very small. the black bag is pretty bulky. (thats old colors, new colors im not sure which bag is which)

wrapping a sleeping bag in a space blanket makes a big difference.

ive never used the full system, only the bivy and green bag. i have the black bag, but so far havnt needed it on any outings.

D

Deleted member 20

I have used the system when it first got introduced to the military & while traveling. Damn is that olive colored bag heavy & bulky & there are two other sleeping bags & a goretex bivy to complete the system. I always take the bivy everywhere & will pick and choose what sleeping bag to bring depending on location, season etc. But never carry the whole thing ever.

travelin

Reaction score
oh its not that heavy at all.

its the bulk of both bags and the bivy that makes a difference. the black bag is the bulky one

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Meh im sure i can compact it down to something smaller.If not ill get a smaller compression sack for it.I just stepped down from a large alice to a medium alice.Just to see what i can deal with.Worse case i stick with old trusty large alice.Hah.

D

Deleted member 20

My pack is over 50lbs and i hate it but i still own that sleep system. Im not on the road full time so i try to pack just what i need. My military style 3 day patrol molle packs are fucking heavy empty and one has a fucked up zipper that pisses me off by opening at the worst times, its surplus military & should have outlived me but looks stronger than it actually is:(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads