Sleeping and Insects | Squat the Planet

Sleeping and Insects

TheBadHabit

Reaction score
Been using a traditional lightweight backpacking sleep system but think I could do without the tent. Only problem I see is insects, particularly mosquitos keeping me up at night. Any good solutions to this beyond bug spray and a layer of grime? Maybe one of those silly bug net hats?

Karg

Reaction score
For the longest time, for some reason, I thought I had to carry a tent around with me wherever I went. but it's completely an unnecessary weight and can be a total pain in the ass trying to navigate through your pack around this big bulky sack of fabric and metal poles on your search for the long lost last nugs or getting that clean pair of socks. So yeah, fuck tents. But there's still rain, snow, rodents, and shitty little mosquitos, cockroaches, and once even camel spiders. So I stopped at thrift stores and garage sales and found this.

Backpacking hammock.jpg

Not this exact one, but the one I got was only 2 1/2 pounds, could be compressed down to about six inches in length and was only like $15. Now I say "only" because after looking online they can sell for like $75 - $100. It was totally worth it (as long there were two trees standing around) and your sleep is definitely worth investing in if you can. It kept the hot desert sun off me, the freezing snow, got me through torrential downpours, and of course fucking bugs. Otherwise, I'd say get some netting that you can either wrap around yourself or acts like a big gunny sack you can crawl into. Happy trails

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
For the longest time, for some reason, I thought I had to carry a tent around with me wherever I went. but it's completely an unnecessary weight and can be a total pain in the ass trying to navigate through your pack around this big bulky sack of fabric and metal poles on your search for the long lost last nugs or getting that clean pair of socks. So yeah, fuck tents. But there's still rain, snow, rodents, and shitty little mosquitos, cockroaches, and once even camel spiders. So I stopped at thrift stores and garage sales and found this.
Just to post a dissenting opinion, I have a hard time sleeping in hammocks, so I'm a tent guy. I wish I could sleep in a hammock, sounds like a great setup.

Any good solutions to this beyond bug spray and a layer of grime?
You might also consider a bug net like this one:

compacts up to pocket-size and is really cheap.

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
I've used the net Matt linked when I was in Alaska to combat the giant monster mosquitos up there. It worked alright and was fairly lightweight. You need trees for it to work though.

Currently, I have a sleeping bag with a built-in bug net. I like it for the creepy crawlies like spiders as well, but I feel it inhibits my ability to react quickly to danger, so I rarely use it. My hammock with a bug net is a better option imo, but that depends on your personal needs.

Reactions: TheBadHabit

reeed

Reaction score
Website
reedjones.me
I was recently in Arkansas with no tent or anything like that just a sleeping bag first night was hell still recovering from 100s of masquito bites... But after that first night I went to Walmart and got bugoff which works. if you have bugoff on they won't mess with you...I'm not sure but I suspect it will keep other insects away as well, they even make ones that are like for campsites that will spray a wide area haven't tried though

Reactions: TheBadHabit

TheBadHabit

Reaction score
I was recently in Arkansas with no tent or anything like that just a sleeping bag first night was hell still recovering from 100s of masquito bites... But after that first night I went to Walmart and got bugoff which works. if you have bugoff on they won't mess with you...I'm not sure but I suspect it will keep other insects away as well, they even make ones that are like for campsites that will spray a wide area haven't tried though
How is Arkansas? Friendly to travelers? The people, not the bugs.

Gin

Reaction score
Been using a traditional lightweight backpacking sleep system but think I could do without the tent. Only problem I see is insects, particularly mosquitos keeping me up at night. Any good solutions to this beyond bug spray and a layer of grime? Maybe one of those silly bug net hats?
Screen tents weigh nothing. Or screen bivys.

Hobeau

Reaction score
Just start a small campfire, then throw wet wood on it for smoke.
Fan drectly down onto the campfire to spread the smoke in a radius.

If the skeeters are being stubborn, throw a chip of railroad tie in for creosote smoke.
Don't use more than a little bit, or you can get sick.

dubh

Reaction score
Website
feirmeoirsonrai.me
my favorite system is just a tarp and a bug net, i use an eno tarp from REI, very packable and dry, and a bugnet from there as well, cost 19 bucks, essential to have if camping in the woods, especially near wetlands, which is usually the stealthiest place in the forest and most bug ridden, and most wild edibles. occasionally you may wake up in a puddle if you don't make a layer to get up off the ground a little. survived a 5" rain storm with 5 mil contractor bags though, one should always have at least one contractor bag, used for construction clean up must be 3-5mil.

• Useful
Reactions: Groundscore

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads