Slante! (cheers) Pleased to meet ya’ all | Squat the Planet

Slante! (cheers) Pleased to meet ya’ all

Drifter

Reaction score
My username pretty much says it all, lol.

I have a rather serious case (lifelong, I’m afraid) of Wanderlust and fernweh. I love drifting for the challenge of it all. I NEED to constantly face a puzzle, solve problems, lest I become seriously bored and nihilistic. But, as of late, I’ve craved an even bigger challenge than drifting through United States: long-term, possibly permanent, wilderness survival/primitive living.

The plan?

This spring, I’m trekking into the eastern Alaska wilderness to live, somewhat, primitively. I write “somewhat” because I am taking a few modern items/tools. As much as I love the idea of living completely primitively, I love NOT being eaten by a Grizzly, even more! LOL... so, I’m taking a few knives, forest axe, etc. Things that will help me survive dangerous situations, and hunt/construct a shelter.

I’ve done my research, and I’m confident that the remote, eastern region of Alaska will allow me to live primitively, without any foolish and unnecessary risks to life and limb. However, in researching the possibility/efficacy of living in such a way, I’ve learned that a small group would fare much better than an individual alone. So.... trying to put together such a group (two to five others) who are equally as insane as me, who’d like to give such madness a shot.

I’d like to film and document the groups daily life, obstacles (physical and mental), and post via YouTube, or some other outlet.... show REAL survival/wilderness living, versus experts talking about it and filming staged situations. I’m heading out alone, if I can’t find anyone else interested, but traveling/living with a small “tribe” of sorts, would be safer and far more emotionally satisfying.

Slán abhaile, my fellow drifters and seekers. “Safe home,” to you all, wherever, or whoever that mat be.

• Love It
Reactions: Barf

Ceannairc

Reaction score
I’ve learned that a small group would fare much better than an individual alone.

Seen as you threw the two phrases of Irish into your message, here's another one for you - "Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine" - which means "in the shelter of one another people survive".

Drifter

Reaction score
Seen as you threw the two phrases of Irish into your message, here's another one for you - "Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine" - which means "in the shelter of one another people survive".
I love Gaelic. Unfortunately, of the plethora of things I suck at, learning new languages is at the top of the list. Hell, I’m 46 and didn’t become fluent in English, my native language until.... what time is it?

😏

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads