News & Blogs - Slab City Gentrification? | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Slab City Gentrification?

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Well that's kinda not cool.

K

Kim Chee

The ocean is a big place with plenty of room for everybody.

The desert is just a big sandy ocean.

It would be inconvenient, but if I had to move, I hope I'd get plenty of notice and help with the move if I wanted it.

Kal

Reaction score
Been to Slab City awesome place. I even met Stickman.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Still haven't made it to the Slabs. Hitched, walked, and ridden motorcycle, stealth camped, camped and just plain slept in public all over this country, Canada, Mexico and parts of Europe. You'd think I would have made it by now, being that I'm ancient in traveller years. I hope that one day soon I can still wander in there with a pack on my back and be welcome.

Reactions: Mankini and Kal

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i kind of briefly scanned through the video. i haven't heard anything about this 'resident election' nor what right anyone has to evict anyone from anywhere in the slabs. now it's possible that i just haven't heard the latest of what's going on with the slab city community trying to buy the land around there.

but that aside, i would like to point out that 'two horses' jack (aka mojave jack) is definitely out of his goddamn mind and folks really shouldn't trust anything he says. he's started a lot of beef with a lot of people in the slabs and generally is not well liked there. this is because he tends to have crazy outbursts when he gets drunk and/or is on drugs and basically runs around acting like a complete psycho.

i liked jack, i really did, and i would hang out at his place pretty frequently until one night he took a bunch of acid and followed me around the slabs for about 8 hours screaming at me about how i took his girl or some other such nonsense. the 'girl' in question was a 19 year old girl that jack had his eyes set on and he was upset that she was hanging out with me (we were just talking/friends, i wasn't interested) but jack went pretty ape shit about it and literally wouldn't stop screaming and following us around the slabs all night.

just one of many incidents to come at that point. so i wouldn't trust anything jack says, even when he's sober.

• Useful
Reactions: Brother X

Dmac

Reaction score
@Matt Derrick I believe that East Jesus is trying to buy the land it is on, and the land around it. A total of 37 acs and Jack's spread is on that 37 arcs lot. He would just have to move to a new area, not leave the slabs. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Matt Derrick I believe that East Jesus is trying to buy the land it is on, and the land around it. A total of 37 acs and Jack's spread is on that 37 arcs lot. He would just have to move to a new area, not leave the slabs. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

trying, yes, but the people running east jesus now are kind of idiots... they've pissed off a lot of people in the slabs, so no one is referring tourists to them anymore, which is cutting into their donations. also, several years ago (when i was living at ej) I helped them raise 5k for a solar panel battery replacement (which frank redford then spent on other things that no one agreed upon) and that was hard enough, so ej might be saying they're raising the money, but it's incredibly unlikely they'll be successful.

also, it's clearly stated (and the entire point of the video) is that jack got voted out in some kind of 'resident election' in which it is insinuated that he'll have to leave the slabs. that situation doesn't really have anything to do with ej.

overall, my point is that you really shouldn't believe what you hear about slab city in the news or through hearsay, it's all just a bunch of hype and drama whipped up by people that don't have anything better to do with their time.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads