single female travellers

I

inky

i'm about to leave town by my lonesome for the first time, and though i would say i am blessed with a decent dose of common sense, i'm still a bit wary of heading out on my own. i've always had at least one person with me, but this time it just didn't work out.

so i mean, besides the obvious things, anyone got some tips or stories of their own female-by-themselves-on-the-road adventures?

my faith in the human race isn't completely shot yet, but i'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this, and i have to get out of town soon or i'd just wait for someone to come with me, but i sort of feel like this is just another one of those things i should do to prove to myself i'm capable.

hopefully i won't get raped/robbed/killed in the process, right?

C

Crazycoon

Defenatly some creeps out there, sooooo, be a creep yerself!!! :) Go get an ounce of ground chilli peppers and put the in a coffee maker using alchohol or vinegar instead of water, mabee even put the liquid through several times. Then go get one of moms old perfume spray bottles and fill it up. Then you have some freaky shit!!!

Or just stab em in the face :) <3 L

A

AtticOfThought

YEah i started out a girl on my own because, I guess I didnt know any better. I had a lot of good luck at first, but I hate doing it now. Sometimes I dont even think traveling is worth it if your doing it as a girl on your own, and i try to avoid it, I hate haveing to be so paranoied all the time.

I found traveling slowly is safer, If you find a good safe spot in one town, just hang there untill you know you have another fairly comfrotable place somewhere elce. Try and meet up with friends, or go to punk gatherings.

Also if your rideing trains, makesure you have ALOT of food and water on you so you dont have to get off to find some at like 3 in the morning when a train has stopped in a yard in a super shadey part of town.
Get my drift? walking all alone in the ghetto weak from hunger and lack of water at all hours of the night, looking for food dose not equal fun.

M

Mouse

the paranoia that comes with being a lone female gets to me. I just refuse to travel alone anymore. I did it once and, though nothign terrible happened, I really didn't like being treated like a prostitute. people assuming I'm a whore just makes me angry and scared. I always take a friend.. sadly it's usually a male friend... but I'd love to travel w/ girls in the future once I'm done school cuz I'm sick of boys.

be safe.

if you're getting really worried about it, try to find a ride share thing or craigs list. I dunno where you're at but it may be useful.

A

AtticOfThought

oh yeah,
i hate how random shit heads all ways think your desperate enough to have sex with them for money.

or whenever someone finds me in the woods by my self I must be a run away....

no one beleives that girls are brave enough to travel on our own...so everyone just assumes your in a really bad position.

I had some girlfriends of mine busted for rideing trains not to long ago, and the cops refused to beleive it was just 2 of them.... They kept demanding to know where their boyfriends were.
haha

M

Mouse

omg.

I'm not punk... but my boyfriend is!

haha. it's so typical for people to think like that. it sucks. we are a very tiny minority inside this very tiny minority. fact of life. but we can deal just fine. I just wish girls would band together a bit more and it wouldn't be so hard sometimes. that's why when I travel again I'm gonna only travel with ladies. gents are welcome but not always accepted. they gotta be special to make the team. hehe

Exile

Reaction score
Seriously if I was travelling and I met a girl travelling alone I may sound old fashioned but id at least try to make sure she was safe.:silly:

Reaction score
i always travel with other ladies and the only time ive ever had a problem was when i was chased by cops in Istanbul Turkey, who werent planning on doing cop things but ugly male things if they cought us. Other then that it's nothing but the normal harrassment but not so bad here in the US...worse in europe. i think it just depends on where your travelling. Never once in my life had a problem riding trains just for being a lady. Maybe twice while hitching but even then it was pretty mild. And that was in Texas. Just keep a knife handy and remember that you CAN actually say no to rides. Riding trains by myself is pretty ok. Hitching a little more sketchy. You just have to learn to be in tune with your intuition.

A

AtticOfThought

Yeah, I'm a pretty feminin looking girl. I'm kinda small and curvy.
:angry: :angry: :angry:
I look all young and innocent and stuff...
and hench fourth - Get fucked with...

I like how you girls stole that trukrs wallet.
I acctually was telling my friend today how I used to use it to my advantage when I was like 17 and take advantage of creeps by leting them buy me drinks and food all night, and then dissapearing by the end of the night so they couldent try anything.
In a way its kinda lame, but they deserve it, and hey...Everyones gotta work with their disadvantages.

Hitchhikeing, and being in the street as a girl is harder...
But I kinda feel like cops might be more likely to let you go as a girl rideing a train...If you gave a good enough story.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads