Similar yet so different

Inhibition

Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking here and I really admire the ability of so many here to travel, meet so unfamiliar people, finding alternative means of surviving outside capitalism, being able to couch surf, squat, hitch a train, etc. A lot of the free spirited ideologies appeal to me here.

The psychological temperament is so opposite from mine. I deal with agoraphobia, social phobias, and some pretty severe introversion. Leaving my home and speaking to a stranger is already really uncomfortable. I can barely imagine experiencing what is described here. Traveling for me is generally within a 5 mile radius of my home.

I don't know if there is much place for me here, but I've always appreciated anti authoritarian mindsets and counter cultural movements even if I've never really had much interaction. I just wanted to say it's inspirational. I can still appreciate wanderlust and the spirit of free movement. It's interesting how people can be so different, but I can still relate.

N

Notmyname

Have you ever tried traveling this way at all? Hell it might help you get past social anxieties if you face them. On the road(at least hitchhiking) you don't have a choice but to socialize. It might be easier to do it if it's in a survival mindset and you don't have a comfortable home to return to. Or it might cause a total mental breakdown. Won't know til you try!

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score
I've gone long periods paraplyzed by anxiety, unable to even leave my bedroom for weeks at a time.

For me, travelling helps me get past the overwhelming fear of being watched, or being judged. Since I am convinced that no one will know me, I can convince myself it doesn't matter.

When you travel, people don't know your personality. People don't have a box, and so you're free to grow as a person. At that point, you become aware of the truth: either other people hold you back, or you do.

• Useful
Reactions: Inhibition

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
Welcome to StP. I've met a lot of people who were in situations similar to yours and hitting the road impacted their ability to socialize greatly.

@Notmyname is right though, you'll either vastly improve your ability to socialize and be outside, or you'll have a total mental breakdown. Of course, my opinion is biased because I've only met people afflicted with the former.

Why not hitch a ride one town over?

Durp

Reaction score
Get out on the road, you will grow or die. Either way, you will learn who you are and to get over all the silly heady stuff. Been there done that. Life is too short to have a mental pretzel, get out there and live!

• Useful

Comedy

Reaction score
DO IT!!!! You must!! It's a RIDE to say the least, I started out by doing long distance bicycle rides. After that I moved my way up or should I say moved my way down! ;p Hitchhiking was super scary for me at first after I heard so many sketchy stories from several buddies of mine. I heard way more good stories than bad though so I said fuck it LETS DO IT!!!

Inhibition

Reaction score
Thanks for the useful responses. I've only ever hitch hiked when a teen after nearly collapsing from hypothermia. I was suicidal at the time and wandered many miles from shelter in freezing weather. By the time I hitch hiked, I was delirious, and falling down.

I have a question though. Does anyone else have any major health problems? I have severe nerve pain that requires constant medication. One of the medications is heavily regulated and often used for recreation. One of my fears of traveling is if I were to lose access to that (stolen, lost, etc) I'd be completely incapacitated. I'd be in unbearable pain and wouldn't be able to eat, speak, sleep, etc.

I do think hopping a town or two over is relatively safe, but it amazes me the resilience posters here have out there. I can't fully rely on my survival instinct, as I am prone to suicidal thoughts and behavior by nature. My gut response to capitalism was feeling suicidal and incapable of the obedience expected of me. There's a lot of survival without too much obedience here.

I ultimately applied for disability on grounds of mental health. That's how I survived that situation. But I see so much survival here. Makes me wonder if there was a third choice I had missed somewhere if I had the strength and insight.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads