Resolved Should we require a certain number of posts to reply in specific forums? (1 Viewer)

Should we require a certain number of posts for the ride board and train hopping sections?

• I'm not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
EDIT: The final decision of this thread can be found here:

So something I've heard brought up several times throughout the years is that maybe we should require new users to have a certain amount of posts before being able to create threads or reply to threads in certain parts of the forum, mostly the train hopping section and the ride board. The idea has been that this would reduce the number of 'fly in, fly out' posts/profiles/accounts, since services like the ride board and getting questions answered in the train hopping section would require some amount of prior participation.

I haven't implemented this yet mostly because there was not a good addon available that actually worked properly; but I've come across a new one here:

That seems like it will do the job (check the link for details), but before spending money on it, I wanted to see if this is something the community still wants. So vote in the poll!

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
Yeah I find it pretty annoying when a new user posts 1 thing, other members responding sincerely (usually), then they just bounce, or don't respond. It's like were talking to ghosts.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, the amount of time posters in the ride board and hopping sections do get annoying. Pretty much what @Brodiesel710 said.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13433

I deleted myself
Is anyone else noticing a sudden increase in new profiles here that seem to be, well... not human ??

I just came across a weird comment made on the WyldlYfe ban thread, that - well, to me is kind of makes no sense, it starts of saying one thing, then something else somewhat inflamatory, then the perverbial I'll hyu, which I am not only not looking forwards to, but don't see a reason for.

It's strange.

I've seen this in other forums, and I've suggested to those people [like at the Chapman Stick form Sticklist] that when having new members sign up, there should be some - maybe at least 2 or 3 questions which require answers in more than a few words, like - what brought you to the Chapman Stick community, how did you come to find out about the Chapman Stick, etc..... you know, like maybe how did you find out about Squat The Planet, what could you contribute/bring to the forums, what experiences do you have with transient people, what are your opinions on homelessness, is there a difference between choice or our of necessity.... I'm just throwing some things out there to try and well, make sure new individuals coming here are coming here for the right reasons.

Maybe full profiles should be a requirement ??
Like everything gets filled out - with more than one word ??

I'm just trying to interject some help here, I just turned 55 years old and I want this year to be one which sheds some positive light on me, which hopefully I can in turn enlighten others with.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
All you have to do is look at how many members actually voted on this topic to be reminded of how little people actually give a shit...

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Is anyone else noticing a sudden increase in new profiles here that seem to be, well... not human ??

I just came across a weird comment made on the WyldlYfe ban thread, that - well, to me is kind of makes no sense, it starts of saying one thing, then something else somewhat inflamatory, then the perverbial I'll hyu, which I am not only not looking forwards to, but don't see a reason for.

It's strange.

I've seen this in other forums, and I've suggested to those people [like at the Chapman Stick form Sticklist] that when having new members sign up, there should be some - maybe at least 2 or 3 questions which require answers in more than a few words, like - what brought you to the Chapman Stick community, how did you come to find out about the Chapman Stick, etc..... you know, like maybe how did you find out about Squat The Planet, what could you contribute/bring to the forums, what experiences do you have with transient people, what are your opinions on homelessness, is there a difference between choice or our of necessity.... I'm just throwing some things out there to try and well, make sure new individuals coming here are coming here for the right reasons.

I'm just trying to interject some help here, I just turned 55 years old and I want this year to be one which sheds some positive light on me, which hopefully I can in turn enlighten others with.
We already have that 'are you an asshole' question, and we basically make it clear that users should upload a profile pic and fill out their profile before getting involved. There are also automated IP address/email and spam filters that are run when a new user joins.

Other than that it become pretty apparent when the user starts to post weird stuff or spam.

D

Deleted member 13433

I deleted myself
ok... it's been that long since I joined here for the second time, 2013 I think... while first time was 2010 under the user name of Earth, and I thought the only question was if GG Allen was an asshole, or something like that....

Fair enough !!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.

It's strange.

Filtering spam accounts is one of the things staff is responsible for doing. We genuinely do our best, and I share yer frustration with it. If you notice things that you think are spam feel free to pm me personally and I'll look I to it myself.

Asking people to fill out their profile and upload a avatar picture is also something we do. Some people like to argue and say things like "dont tell me what to do or yer not a anarchist" when asked to follow simple website rules that are put there to lessen the amount of bullshit staff, and other users have to shift through when viewing content in stp that more often then not comes from accounts with no info in them. Some people just wanna make a stink for whatever reason. I dunno, I'm not a psychologist.

Barf

Wanderer
Top Poster of the Month
@OTTERWOLF

ok... it's been that long since I joined here for the second time, 2013 I think... while first time was 2010 under the user name of Earth, and I thought the only question was if GG Allen was an asshole, or something like that....

Fair enough !!
Lol

Otterwolf, I love you man. Your posts bring a smile to my face.

I made the pilgrimage to Littleton,NH in 2009 to see GG Allin's grave.

Jim Beam is my favorite.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
What if people enjoy the content on here but just dont post much or comment. But use the site respectfuly?Seems like it could effect ppl you werent meaning to.
that's a good point, could lead to a bunch of filler/forced posts

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
What if people enjoy the content on here but just dont post much or comment. But use the site respectfuly?Seems like it could effect ppl you werent meaning to.
People get what they put into stp. If someone wants to lurk for years and just use the site like that then right on, but what we are talking about is a small number of required posts to post or reply in sections of the website that have the highest number of users either (in the train hopping section) asking very basic questions that have been answered 10 times before, or (in the ride and board section) posting and asking for a ride to NYC from pdx for 5 people, a mule, 17 large alice packs, and a steamer trunk full of rolling papers and wire wrapping supplies that needs to leave yesterday by a account 24 seconds old. It would basically make there less clutter in those 2 areas.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i'm going to be investing in this addon soon (waiting for my registration approval on their website) and im wondering how many posts we should require? or how many likes? we can do either.

Nucam3

Pilgrim
Itll funnel traffic on site. More lurkers and observers contributing less input, but stimulate more in depth conversations by active members.
As owner of the site, itd fall on you to figure out which direction you'd like to take stp.
Obviously the site is well known and established already.
So continue lingering about in limbo forums, or shift gears and accelerate with contingency in the hopes that traction and meaningfulness in exchanged communication will add up to more than just internet banter?
4chan made the shift. They've shifted reality for real more than many times. Stp could do the same. Hopefully not as radical as 4chan in certain areas, but in areas that benefit humanity as a whole would be pleasant to see.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Itll funnel traffic on site. More lurkers and observers contributing less input, but stimulate more in depth conversations by active members.
As owner of the site, itd fall on you to figure out which direction you'd like to take stp.
Obviously the site is well known and established already.
So continue lingering about in limbo forums, or shift gears and accelerate with contingency in the hopes that traction and meaningfulness in exchanged communication will add up to more than just internet banter?
4chan made the shift. They've shifted reality for real more than many times. Stp could do the same. Hopefully not as radical as 4chan in certain areas, but in areas that benefit humanity as a whole would be pleasant to see.
just as a reminder, we're only talking about doing this for 1-2 forum sections, mainly the train hopping forum. this would not apply to the entire website.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
okay folks! I've implemented the requirement for users to have at least 10 posts to view/participate in the train hopping forum. once a user gets 10 or more posts, it might take up to an hour for the changes to take effect.

ADMG

okay folks! I've implemented the requirement for users to have at least 10 posts to view/participate in the train hopping forum. once a user gets 10 or more posts, it might take up to an hour for the changes to take effect.
As a new member I would like to admit that information regarding hopping was my primary motivation for joining and also see the implementation of this change as a wise move. Are there any notable instances of misuse of this forum, as well as any others, that have endangered the viability of the community?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
As a new member I would like to admit that information regarding hopping was my primary motivation for joining and also see the implementation of this change as a wise move. Are there any notable instances of misuse of this forum, as well as any others, that have endangered the viability of the community?
ehhh, i wouldn't say it's that granular, like a specific instance. instead it's more of just a security concern for the community as a whole. i.e., the more the word gets out the easier it is for LEOs to get that info, or in other cases easier for inexperienced people to abuse that info and blow things up for everyone else.

ADMG

ehhh, i wouldn't say it's that granular, like a specific instance. instead it's more of just a security concern for the community as a whole. i.e., the more the word gets out the easier it is for LEOs to get that info, or in other cases easier for inexperienced people to abuse that info and blow things up for everyone else.
LEOs. Wasn't sure how to word it but that is what I was getting at. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.