Resolved Should we nuke the ride board? (Community Poll) (1 Viewer)

Should we nuke the ride board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, the @Staff and I have been struggling with whether we should get rid of the ride board entirely. The reasoning has been that it seems to get limited use, and the use it does get tends to be from people that "drop in and drop out" from facebook or other places and aren't really interested in participating in the community (i.e. no profile pic, no profile filled out, lazy posting, etc).

In a lot of ways the road dogs and meet up section could accomplish a lot of the same goals (finding people to travel with) so in many of the staff's opinions, we wouldn't be missing out on any functionality but rather just streamlining the two sections (ride board & road dogs).

I think the @Staff did a good job of explaining their reasoning in our staff area, so im hoping they don't mind repeating those arguments here. But as the community, what are YOUR thoughts? Do you get any use out of the ride board? Could we live without it? Vote in the poll!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I've read hundreds? Of seeking/offering rides posts and I don't think I've ever seen even one result in a successful ride. The greater majority of them have zero replies. The rare one that does get a reply is one of like three responses;

[Seeking ride] Shreveport Louisiana to St. Paul Minnesota. I wanna leave by tomorrow.
[Responder] If you can get to Provo we can travel together!

Like.. dude, you're so far off the route it would be absurd for that person to end up anywhere near where you're at going the direction they're going.

Or;

[Ride offered] Portland to Denver, leaving on Feb 26th
[Responder] Feb 28th I'm down!

... That ship has sailed bud, what are you doing?

There's a few other examples I'm forgetting but nary a one that I've seen that actually worked out. I think we could lose the fat. It's useless. If you're really trying to get somewhere on a ride-share, we all know Craigslist is way more likely to work out. If you wanna specifically travel with other "misfit travelers" I'm sure the road dogs section would work just swell.

I vote to shitcan that feature.

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
Eng JR Lupo RV323 is right on the money, there's a current one right now which obviously is never going to work out, because the plans keep changing... and the OP is not even sure what they are looking to do !!

That's too bad, because it seemed to be a pretty useful tool....

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
Another reason it sucks is all ths skeevy truckers who kept exploiting it for a while there. We've had to police that activity so much in ths past. It hasn't happened in a while but imt sure it would again if it's kept. Plus it seems like there's a lot of confusion about it anyway. Like, there's definitely been a lot of people in the past that'll post in there like "Seeking Ride from Raleigh NC to Dirty Jersey, always wanted to ride in an 18 wheeler"...

It's like they're searching "Rides from truckers" on Google and for whatever reason being funneled here. It's cool when a decent trucker pulls over and gives someone a ride but it isn't really what the site is about. A lot of new members don't seem to get that.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Hometown
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
And as far as leeches, that's been a thing too. People will join, fill out absolutely nothing on their profile. Post in looking for rides, and then just never actually become a contributing member. The ride never happens and they're gone, leaving us with a lot of dead profiles.

jimi

Hometown
Eugene
I see the argument for combining it with the road dog section. I think a lot of folks use facebook groups nowadays as well as CL, but I'm also noticing a growing movement of people leaving that platform. I could see it becoming more widely used again sometime in the future, but I guess you could just remake it if so.. Really as long as it's still an option to post rides somewhere, I'm fine with whatever. I definitely have met some great people through this site and would much rather find and offer rides through here than FB or CL.

To avoid the one-time visitors/leeches/throwaway accounts, you might consider adding something to the rules/how to use posts on the meetup type sections, like suggesting/requiring having certain parts of profiles filled out, or having posted in the intros section. If it's a big problem, could it maybe be a possibility to limit posting on some of the sections to people who have already participated in some way?

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Hometown
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
To avoid the one-time visitors/leeches/throwaway accounts, you might consider adding something to the rules/how to use posts on the meetup type sections, like suggesting/requiring having certain parts of profiles filled out, or having posted in the intros section. If it's a big problem, could it maybe be a possibility to limit posting on some of the sections to people who have already participated in some way?
There was something like this in the past but iirc its unavoidable with the current website add one that we currently use.

Years ago I believe it was used specifically for the train hopping section for this exact reason is not allowing brand new profiles to view/post because of the number is posts asking repeat questions with obvious answers.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
i honestly don't remember if they had a ride board. their forums were absolutely huge. gargantuan even, with the amount of content on there (lots of hitching stories) it was a little overwhelming.

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
I can totally get the overwhelming part, sometimes even here on STP I find it impossible to keep up with all that is going on, but then again I am not young anymore.....

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
giphy-gif.54865

the collective sense of relief the staff is currently feeling is the vibration of the ride board being nuked off the face of the website, as per the results of the community poll. Any future ride requests should be posted to the road dogs forum.

just as a precaution, I've moved the latest 10 or so threads from the ride board to the road dogs section in case they were still relevant to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.
Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.