Question should user profiles be publicly viewable? (1 Viewer)

Do you want the public to see your profile and/or the member page?

• Yes, I don't mind the info being out there; also i can share my profile url with non-members.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No, I don't like my profile info being available to anyone without an account.

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey everyone, I just had a quick question for the community to see how you all felt about this. I'm revamping the user permissions as stated in this thread, and I was wondering if you think we should keep user profiles private from guests? Currently, people without accounts can view the member's page here:

and member's profiles like this:

Matt Derrick - https://squattheplanet.com/members/matt-derrick.1/

which also means they are indexable by google, etc... I could make it so only members can view other member's profiles... but maybe you want people to be able to find your StP profile? Also, making profiles viewable to only other members would negate the ability to share your profile url with other non-members, since they would get an error message telling them to log into the website if they tried to view your profile.

so, viewable to the public? or private unless you're logged in with an account? vote in the poll!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

MetalBryan

Pilgrim
Current Location
Washington, DC
I voted no but then saw it was a 50/50 tie and wanted to expand. I like the idea of "notable members" representing the ideas & beliefs of this group, but those folks should be formally recognized and volunteer to opt in. I'm torn between wanting my ideas on StP subject matter available to folks who are just starting their search and wanting to keep these proprietary secrets to ourselves.

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
StP Supporter
Current Location
Chicago
I like the idea of an opt-in to be publicly viewable if that's at all doable. I would like my own profile to be visible, but I understand why people wouldn't want theirs to be.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
you can adjust your privacy settings for your profile here:

https://squattheplanet.com/account/privacy

screenshot-squattheplanet-com-2019-04-26-10-35-31-png.50159_should user profiles be publicly viewable?_Questions & Feedback_Squat the Planet_10:35 AM

so you can 'opt in' or 'opt out' of your profile being viewable no matter what we decide. i can also change the defaults on this, for example make the default selection for 'view your details on your profile page' set to 'members only'.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I like the idea of "notable members" representing the ideas & beliefs of this group, but those folks should be formally recognized and volunteer to opt in.
unfortunately i only have control over whether the page itself is viewable. the statistics there are automatically generated.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
What is the effect of all these variations on visibility to search engines?
well, in the screen shot above shows how you can set settings for what people can see ON your profile (details, etc), and the setting im talking about changes the public's ability to view the page your profile is on at all. like, with it disabled, the public would get an error message when they view your profile via it's url (the message would say something like "you need to login first before you can view this page").

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
I realize from your reply i should have read OP more carefully.

Even though any monkey can register for an account in a minute, best to make them do it to see some stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?
Supposed Mocha wrote on Chimpsarereal's profile.
Oh youre already in MI! I feel dense now, I'm in GR myself and could meet around here or West MI

Members online