Shoplifter awarded $510,000 for broken ankle

Current Location
Charlottesville, United States
Reactions
93% 0% 7%
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in News, but anyway here it is... This guy has actually won THREE lawsuits (only one related to shoplifting, though).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyc-shoplifter-awarded-510000-from-jury-for-broken-ankle/

NEW YORK -- A Brooklyn jury has awarded more than $500,000 to a man who sued the city for a broken ankle he suffered during an arrest for shoplifting.

The jury awarded Kevin Jarman $510,000 on Wednesday for the injury.

The 50-year-old Jarman had filed the suit after pleading guilty to shoplifting at a Queens Pathmark in 2011.

"This shows that a regular person who has his rights violated can still go to court and do something," Jarman's lawyer, Anthony Ofodile, told the New York Post.

The Post reports that Jarman has received other payouts from the city.

In 2005, he sued the NYPD for false arrest after a drug sale charge was dropped. The city settled for $15,000.

Last month, the city settled for $20,000 after Jarman sued police for false arrest in another drug case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
86% 11% 3%

This guy gets held down and punched by CVS employees for shoplifting... and the employee punching him says "I'm probably gonna get fired for this" meaning he knows he's not supposed to do it. Lawsuit! xD

Kinda makes you wonder... if I can get a friend who works at a place to break rules and attack me for shoplifting, then we can split the money xD

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
And the shit gets deeper..... Wow... That is a crazy story however it doesn't shock me. Interesting story.

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%

This guy gets held down and punched by CVS employees for shoplifting... and the employee punching him says "I'm probably gonna get fired for this" meaning he knows he's not supposed to do it. Lawsuit! xD

Kinda makes you wonder... if I can get a friend who works at a place to break rules and attack me for shoplifting, then we can split the money xD

The ingenuity behind this idea must be implemented, always.