Shining up boots? | Squat the Planet

Shining up boots?

Traveler

Reaction score
So I've got a nice pair of timberlands, red leather. I want to polish them up, not so much for the shine but to protect the leather and keep them waterproof. What's the best option? I've got a lot of experience polishing combats but never a work style boot. Do they make a good "red" polish or should I go with clear?

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I've got red leather boots and I use dubbin on them as I have never managed to find a coloured polish that matches, either too brown or bright red. The dubbin seems work well though keeping them flexible and also waterproof.

Just looked up the brand I use its called Woly.

Reactions: Traveler

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
There's a few different things you can use for waterproofing boots, I won't list them all but these are my tried and true favorites:
1. SNO-SEAL
2. Doc-Martens wonder balsam
3. Dubbin

Sno-Seal is the best thing for waterproofing leather I have ever used but you have to apply it while the boots are hot which makes it somewhat difficult (unless you can lightly roast them over a hot bed of coals) its hard to find in certain places, and you still have to oil and polish regularly with other products if you want to keep 'em shiny.

Here's my method

SNO-SEAL
Saddle Soap
Dubbin/Mink Oil/Doc Martens WB etc.
Polish (optional)

the SNO-SEAL last a while before you need to do it again, about 6 months. so continue to do the other steps on a monthly or bi-weekly basis or whatever floats your boat.

P.S. You're never gonna find a good red polish and clear usually takes off color rather than just actually being clear over color. just use black shoe polish and it will give them a nice OxBlood Red color.

• Useful
Reactions: MolotovMocktail

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Traveler

Reaction score
How to shine isn't really the issue. I know how to treat the leather to meet my needs. I just wasn't sure about the best product to use for work boots as my only experience is with combat boots.

notOK

Reaction score
A half toothbrush to get all the grit outta the crevices between the sole and the upper part. Mink oil, for sure. Dunno what shade of red the Tim's ya got are, but kiwi oxblood always been good enough for me. And good ole spit, keep excess dust from drying them out to bad.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Another good thing to do with leather/boots is bees wax!
Along with a few essential oils, and a couple other secret ingredients (found easily if you know what to search for). Anti-bacterial oils are best, but best not to start out with abrasive ones like tee tree, especially on older leather.
It's an old diy trick that was used by most farmers, herders and travelers as far back as probably the 17th century(?).
I've done it for two pairs of leather shoes/boots of mine. It works wonders.
They're nice and shiny and waterproof enough; I wouldn't trudge through a river or large puddles, but walking in heavy rain is usually fine if you do it right.
For heavily used items such as shoes though, you've got to reapply it every month or two.
Just make sure to rub it in nice and thick.
Another trick you can do with this is to line the seems with super glue or (even better) Liquid Electrical Tape. LET dries fairly quickly and creates a rubberised, waterproof, almost insulated seal. I use it on a lot of stuff around the house, but it's amazing for patching soles, heels and leaky shoes :

• Useful
Reactions: Odin and Traveler

Art101

Reaction score
When you can find try Hubbards boot grease its a touch labor intensive but the last time i greased some boots the seal held for about a year of daily use.

Reactions: eske silver

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads