Shemagh | Squat the Planet

Shemagh

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
You can wrap them plenty of ways, depending on whether you want to be mistaken for a wannabe ninja:
aA51e0f.jpg

Or a terrorist/ninja turtle:

moA1txc.jpg

A shemagh (pronounced "shmag") is a style of headwrap that originated in the Middle East. It's especially well suited to arid climates because it keeps you cool during the day, protects you from the sun, keeps you warm at night, and keeps dust from getting into your mouth and nose. You can get them at any milsurp store for about $10. It will protect you from the windchill of moving vehicles. It's very easily compressible because it's essentially a large cotton square that needs to be wrapped.

Disclaimer: Don't hang off the side of a train while wearing one. Especially if you're not as pasty as me.

Here's how you wrap them:

Last edited:

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
You call it shemagh, I call it Keffiyeh, lets call the whole thing off...

the most worn item of clothing I own. My personal favourite is my black and red one but I also strangely own one my (now dead) dad gave me that he received whilst working in Bahrain it's black and white and I also have a red and white one my mum used to wear in the 1970's/80's when she was a pro palestine activist.

I was once had mine on whilst walking on a beach and this jewish guy spat at me calling me an anti semite. It seemed crazy to me that an item of clothing could cause that kind of reaction.

anyway, I digress, they are a useful bit of kit. scarf, blanket, bandage, skirt, towel, hat, bag, dog coat. I'm sure there are many more uses.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
huh, thanks for posting that, i'll probably get one now, seems pretty useful. and that video was helpful too, i'm terrible at trying to figure that stuff out sometimes.

K

Kim Chee

Any word you use for a cloth is better than skank. It looks functional.

I was once had mine on whilst walking on a beach and this jewish guy spat at me calling me an anti semite. It seemed crazy to me that an item of clothing could cause that kind of reaction.

Jews spit as a blessing.

Psi em

Reaction score
I wore these all through the winter. Kept losing my ski masks and balaclavas. These things are huge and difficult to misplace.

Kept the chill off my face while in sleeping bag.
Used as a towel/bath cloth while washing.
Cut pieces off of it to use as toilet paper.
Use as an extra sling pack over your shoulder or attach to main pack with straps.

Um... they seem thin at first but really does good job of blocking strong winds when you layer it. Keeps the chill off of you.

Would probably work well as shade when it's sunny hot. I ain't bold enough to wear these in urban during the summer.

Reactions: Mankini

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
They are very good on hot days, especially the light colored ones like the traditional White & black or red & black ones, or the military sand colored ones. The trick with using them to beat the heat is to first fold it in half forming a large triangle. Then dip it in some water for a few minutes. Remove from water, wring it out, and loosely drape it over your head so it hangs down around the top of your back and shoulders. The evaporation of the moisture and the reflection of the suns rays is what will keep you cool. This is a good way to keep cool whether you are working on a roof or walking for miles in the sweltering summer sun. Make sure you get one that is 100% cotton and not made of a synthetic material. They are also good for injuries, use it to wrap up a swollen knee or sling a busted arm. Due to their larger size plus loose weave, they are far more versatile than a bandanna.

G

Grubblin

These are well worth the money and since its only about ten dollars why not try it? You can also wrap it to wear it like a beanie and it usually keeps your ears warmer. One drawback--this is a traditional Arab garment and unfortunately most ignorant people associate it with terrorists. If you wear this out in crowded public areas you can expect to get hassled, is not if, it's when.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I've noticed that most hassle or nasty looks that one may get for wearing one will generally happen in rural areas as opposed to urban areas where people have been exposed to other cultures.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads